Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I would not use toothpaste on pearls....nacre is quite soft and I would not want to take the risk. It just isn't necessary.

A bit of warm water, some mild soap, a soft cloth-- or a very soft brush if needed near prongs.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by purepearls View Post
    Quality pearls are durable, but proper care is necessary to keep them beautiful and lustrous. Here are important tips to care for your pearls. If you're anything like me, I like to wear my pearls everywhere so I take special precautions so that they will maintain their allure.

Gently wipe the pearls with a warm, damp cloth to remove body oils or dirt (which may harm the colors) before putting them away.

Keep pearls away from chlorine bleach, vinegar, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics, as these substances will damage the pearl surface. Make sure to put pearls on after finished spraying perfume or hairspray and putting on makeup. Also, remove pearls before exercising to keep them away from perspiration. Be very careful with substances as they will eat holes in the pearl nacre.

Wash pearls periodically with mild soap (NOT detergent) and a soft cloth. When finished washing the pearls, rinse them in clean water and wrap them in a thin, damp cotton towel to dry. If the pearls are especially dirty, wipe the pearl with acetone polish remover. Acetone will not hurt pearls. DO NOT use jewelry cleaners with ammonia or vinegar in them.

Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewelry that may scratch the pearls’ surface. Wrap the pearls in linen, soft cloth, or place in a soft pouch. Do NOT store pearls in an airtight package such as a plastic bag because pearls need moisture. If the environment is too dry, the pearls may crack. If placing the pearls in a safety deposit box or in a hot environment, leave a damp cloth nearby.

Restring pearls once a year if worn often. Be sure to have each pearl knotted separately, preferably with silk, so they do not rub together and wear on the pearl nacre. If pearls are very small, knots between each pearl may be undesirable.

Amanda Raab
    President
    PurePearls.com
    Hooooo Yaaaa
    I can't make any more recommendations to your note. Kudos We wee just sent several 1000 meters of silk no longer used by our agents vendor in Japan.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

I agree...have tried the salt scrub with sea salt & hawaiian water. Kona water from the depths of the ocean desalinated..oh well it was on sale & thought the pearl might like a taste of it...LOL They get a real smooth glossy shine.

I am afraid of the acetone. Don;t think I would use it or ever feel the need to use it unless you got nailpolish or paint on them I would not think it was necessary.

One should not wear pearls while painting & use a good napkin on the chest while eating red pasta sauce & salads...

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Acetone will not harm pearls; nor will Attack solvent.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Why would one use acetone?

I've thought about those who use a drop of oil for shine but oil yellows over time. The pearls could develop a yellow tone.
    Maybe coconut oil?Its white.

Pearls really should not need such intense cleaning unless they are really old like the ones I buy & may have years of film on them.

I've seen salt scrub mentioned. Can that scratch? I tried it with sea salt in kona deep water. Really shined up an old pair whch had sort of a matt finish. They are old old pearls from the 30;s or even 20;s.

Acetone can be used to remove gummy residue and glue.

Pearls need moisture (which they can get from the air, or from skin when they are worn) but skin secretions are acidic, which isn't good for pearl nacre (hence wiping them after wearing). Many oils are also acidic, including coconut oil.

I have been trying to remember to every once in a while bring them in a steamy bath. I also apply a dab of spring water every once in a while as I live in the dry San Fernando Valley of LA.

I imagine wiping them with a more alkaline water would better nuetralize the skin acid? Fuji water is about 7.7. I have distilled but I am not going to be than picky with water...LOL Still tap water is bad as its full of chlorine & chemicals!

Oil is a catch 22 like in skin. It may make the pearl shine but it also is a moisture barrier. Moisture will get out less but new moisture can't enter.
    I think pearls are best with no coating. Mikmoto gives out silicone coated cloths. Gosh silicone I don;t like as much as I hate dimethicone in hair & skin products. They are very hard to remove!

Silicone coated cloths! That is a new one for me.

Yes, Mikimoto..That's my understanding...its some sort of silicone impregnated cloth.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Frost Me's Avatar

I have read much of the posts. I am still not clear on distilled water, if this is best. I have a water filter on the cold side so I use this with a microfiber cloth for daily wiping. Would distilled be better? I recently spotted a strand of pearls at a antique mall and purchased them. I am not sure if they are really good freshwaters or Akoya, I am leaning on Akoya due to the consistency of the roundness. I tested with nail polish remover to make sure they were not glass coated pearls. Looking through a loupe they look correct, with very very minimal imperfections. They are well matched and a creamy color, and 34" of pearls. I took the advice and removed the old stringing, (they were continuous) no clasp and strung on a stretchy cord to wash. I used Dr. Bonner unscented baby soap is all that I could find. And rinsed well.

Name:  IMG_0655.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0656.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  79.4 KB

More pictures, these are not so good. Any thoughts on the type of pearl? They are 7 mm.

Name:  IMG_0654.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  90.3 KB
    Last edited by Frost Me; 09-29-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Not sure if this is better, I am using a iPhone 7

Name:  IMG_0658.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  47.9 KB

Can you look inside the drill hole with a loupe? Maybe you can see where the nacre ends and the bead begins. Or try candling with a strong light behind them.

As to distilled water, the reason that is suggested is to avoid hard water minerals and chlorine. Hard water minerals combine with soap (even liquid soap like Dr. Bronner's) to make a hard-to-remove scum.

I have found that when I use water that has passed though our Brita filter I can use Dr. Bronner's without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Can you look inside the drill hole with a loupe? Maybe you can see where the nacre ends and the bead begins. Or try candling with a strong light behind them.

As to distilled water, the reason that is suggested is to avoid hard water minerals and chlorine. Hard water minerals combine with soap (even liquid soap like Dr. Bronner's) to make a hard-to-remove scum.

I have found that when I use water that has passed though our Brita filter I can use Dr. Bronner's without any problem.
    Thanks Pearl Dreams, I will look at at the hole!