Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

My company was started in 1939 by my mother who had to string because she had congenital heart problems. (eventually fixed in 1957
    died in 02) I have strung and managed this pearl company since 1965 and I COMPLIMENT YOU ON YOUR CLEANING ARTICLE. !!!!!!
    NORM

Hello, I hope this question is OK here (I am new to the forum). A favorite bracelet of mine had a string break on 1 strand. Is there anyone here or recommended by members, that can restring it? It's an older piece so probably needs all 3 strands restrung. The pearls are very tiny so there are no knots in between them. Here are two pictures. I am hoping someone on this forum can advise, thank you!
    Linda

Name:  IMG_20170127_101444130.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170127_101419786.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  143.6 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Linda,

You could take it to a local jeweler, who would probably send it to whomever they use to restring pearls, but the good news is that it would not be hard to restring it yourself! We have instructions stickied on restringing in the Lowly Beader's Forum here.

It doesn't look like there is any gimp being used (finely coiled wire that protects the thread at the point where the pearls connect with the hardware). So the thread could loop directly around the metal ring before back-knotting.
    You would need:
    strong fine thread (I recommend synthetic Beader's Secret, sold by Pattye in her Etsy shop)-- https://www.etsy.com/shop/PatriciaSaabDesigns
    a fine flexible wire needle (Pattye carries these too, but I buy mine at Michael's)
    something to cut the thread with (e.g. a craft/razor knife or box cutter)

Alternatively you could use fine beading wire (like Soft Touch by Softflex) which is thin enough to pass through small pearl drill holes, and use crimp beads to secure it at the ring ends. This is easy! In fact, stringing a 3-strand bracelet on beading wire was my very first beading project, way back when.

Thank you Pearl Dreams, if you think it is pretty easy then I will give this a try! I was a bit nervous about trying myself. Thanks for all the information!
    Linda

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Definitely agree with PD's recommendation...give it a try yourself! You certainly cannot harm the pearls. I suggest getting some wire to use as a temporary string to keep the pearls in their exact order. Of course you can also use a bead board and wire to rearrange the pearls.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Hello all, a pearl newbie here. I noticed, earlier on this thread, Jeremy recommending professional restringing/knotting. In making this recommendation in 2006, he said it should cost about $10 - $30 dollars. Now, 11 years later, I needed to have an 18" strand restrung, and it's costing me over $60. Does that represent normal inflation over 11 years? Or is that high? It's with a jeweler I trust, so I didn't think twice about it until I read Jeremy's recommendation. Thanks!

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

That price sound reasonable. If you were near a jewelry district you might be able to get a wholesale price.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Thanks GemGeek.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

This thread was a chuckle but never heard of the sunshine cloth. Might try it on a older dead pearl. I think I have just used plain toothpaste to polish a pearl. Figure if its ok for your pearly whites then it would be ok for the pearl.

Soap for washing pearl? Castile like Dr Bonners? I have that.

I do apply damp cloths to pearls at time or a light spritz of spiring water. as most of mine are over 50 years old. The other night I took them all in the bathroom & let them have some moisture from a warm steamy bath.

I took a pearl ring in to have a prong reapired & the guy told me when I picke it up he polished the pearl. I was livid. I really did not think he should have done that without asking. Taking a layer of nacre off inho could lead to damage of the surface.

I wouldn't use toothpaste - it's abrasive (it's bad for dental work too). Unscented Castile (like Dr. Bonners) and filtered water or a pearl cleaning cloth(like what Pearl Paradise sends when you buy pearls from them - I think they sell them as well) would be best. And pearl polishing doesn't necessarily mean taking off a layer of nacre (although it could depending on the jeweler). He might have simply washed and hand polished it with a cloth, or there is a process where pearls are tumbled with walnut shell and a natural polishing agent to smooth them and regain a bit of sheen.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

I'd have to agree on not using toothpaste to clean pearls. My 82 year old mom stopped using toothpaste about 20 years ago bc her dentist told her it was stripping the enamel off her teeth. My jeweler grandmother, who has been gone for several decades used to use a toothbrush with nothing on it to clean diamonds set in gold. It removes the scum that accumulates behind the stone when you wear it continuously.

CMD, do you know who does the walnut shell tumbling to polish pearls? Do pearl strands need to be unstrung when they do this?

Amti,

I don't know of anyone who does it. I've just read about it as a treatment that pearls are sometimes given.

OOOhhh so NO more toothpaste/ I use pro enamel...
    I only do it when I first get a pearl & it might have a film on it.

I have Dr Bonners lavendar hemp scent...

I was thinking about Le Blanc for silk washables. IT would be good for the string. Not sure how gentle it is but its formulated to keep elastic from breaking down???
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 06-18-2017 at 08:54 AM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Pearly-Whites's Avatar

http://http://dendds.com/uploads/RDA_index.pdf

Here is a chart of the abrasivity of different toothpastes. Good to know...

For teeth, not pearls.
    Last edited by Pearly-Whites; 06-18-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Link is not opening but I guess I should research the toothpaste. I really did not think it would hurt a pearl but I guess it depends upon what abrasive the paste contains. Luckily I'm not a brush after every meal person but do blrush regularly at night. I guess you could wear your enamel with too much brushing. I have on occassion used baking soda & peroxide as it gives a good clean periodically.

I've been using pro enamel & a oral B round for my teeth for many years now & the results are great. My dentist is happy & I try to see him every 4 months but now I am on chemo so that will get pushed to 6 mo or so after chemo.