Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pearl Designer & Collector Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Hi GemGeek,

You are right as the ring is a good high karat 18 kt from France but I don't intend to practice on this pearl when I get it. Expect that to be in a couple of weeks or so. I am sure I could find a great setting for one of Douglas's pearls. I have a few of his pearls, a couple in earrings and some loose but would want one direct and highly coloured for a ring. Now I just need to save up again, as usual.

Douglas,

Don't worry, I will not as I said above practice on this pearl but on some cheapies. Maybe some bad akoyas and on some freshwater pearls that I don't fancy anyway. Bye the way, I spent hours reading your blog and other areas on your site. Wonderful information and entertaining.

Thank you for all your help,

Dawn - Bodecia
    eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

I would unstick it and rotate it a bit so the prong isn't on it. Maybe the linseed oil lightly? Several times on this forum I have heard of peelers currently operating, maybe one will present.
    Hi Caitlin,

I intend to do that when it arrives. Yes, I did weaken and "rescue" it. What about using Mineral Oil or the bottle I have is called Liquid Paraffin. I believe it is the same thing. For that matter what about Jojoba Oil? But I will give it the treatment.

As far as peeling it. If a "pearl peeler" contacts me I will certainly have it done. It is 10 mm so the loss of a small amount of nacre will should still leave a good size pearl.

I will get Barry to use his strong finger nails to loosen that offending prong. I am sure I will love it warts and all but will soak it in oil and hydrate it over a small aquarium along with other pearls mistreated in the past. But I will probably use the salt sludge first. I have never found it to injure a pearl, even akoya.

Might remove it entirely from the setting to clean and hydrate it properly. No good not getting the bottom of it. But I can do that at home and not take it to the idiot jeweller and staff in town.

Dawn - Bodecia

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I will enjoy following the progress of that pearl, I quite admire it, as is, and am looking forward to seeing it after the salt scrub, and again after the soak in Paraffin oil. I think the pits will be less noticeable when the rims of the pits are cleaned.

The first two shots are of a few of my GF's pearls when dirty. The third is after a salt slurry.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Co-Founder: Cortez Pearls Senior Guide Member CortezPearls's Avatar

The salt scrub did wonders on those Akoyas...nice work Caitlin!
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Co-Founder Cortez Pearl Farm
    Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
    Douglas McLaurin's Blog
    Sustainable Cortez Pearl Jewelry: perlasmexicanas.com

The Pearl is a beautiful but Harsh Mistress...and I am its Loving Servant!

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Those are wild radiatas from the Persian Gulf. I am afraid to salt slurry my Mo-in-law's akoyas. They have bead showing at the holes.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

The Pearl ring arrived today and the photos in no way do it justice. It is gorgeous. Loads of lustre and looks a pure white but with pink and blue shining through. Really beautiful even with the loss of nacre or hollows. At 10mm it really stands out.

I will try and get some decent photos of it tomorrow after a salt sludge bath and paraffin oil bath. But I have it on now and I love it. In the second lot of photos I uploads it looked dull and dried out. It just isn't that way. One of the best lustres I have seen.

Dawn - Bodecia

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bodecia View Post
    Hi all,

I have more photos finally. It does show even more cracking on the section of missing layer in at least one of the areas where nacre is missing.

Wish I was able to peel the pearl as in Douglas's video. What a great video and what a great site for Cortez pearls. I spent a large part of last nice reading his Blog and once again going over the Cortez pearl site.

You are very generous with information Douglas and it is much appreciated.

If I saw a puppy or kitten or other animal in need I would rescue it and this is the way I feel about this pearl. Not very bright of me but the way I feel. Although these lastest photos really do show that it has suffered severely and it would probably not be possible to save it.

Dawn - Bodecia
    I was hoping for the final photo after you received it but your chip & the dirt under the nacre in 2nd pic reminds me of my recent chip.

I see the dirt under the nacre like what you said somehow the nacre was interrupted or dirtied inside the oyster.
    I know my dirt did not get under it after it was chipped as it just chipped & it was under it without any dirt touching the area after the layer was exposed.

What would cause this?

I like the gas pocket idea too but its possible the dirt did create a seperation in the nacre & with some small trauma it broke away.

I don't think many of us have looked inside out pearls but I know on mine that dark layer was put by the oyster or when it was forming & its not from dirt after it was chipped...

Attached Images Attached Images   

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

This thread is 6 years old
    Instagram Pearlzaustralia

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

So sad but it does seem Bodecia is not active anymore. I remember her posting all those pictures of natural pearls in the candling thread.

I was really hoping to see the photos after a salt sludge bath & parrafin wax bath. I was curious how it turned out...

Good thing it was not a 46 page long thread as I hate to get to the end of a long book & find the last page is missing...