Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Richard W. Wise

Default source for vintage books

Henry Polissack is a dealer I do a lot of business with. He is honest and very knowledgable.

413.527.4510. He has several copies of Donkin's book.

Richard

Satine De La Courcel

Richard..

I just recieved my Copy of Donkins book! I have just taken a glance at it WOW! is all I can muster to say about it! it has so much information and quite a bit on what I am looking for! Thank You Thank you and Thank you!!!!!

Ashby

Richard W. Wise

Happy reading.

A couple of other possiblities for you:

Trade Winds, The Adventures of a Dealer in Pearls by Louis Kornitzer. Great if you want to know how the pearl business operated just before the introduction of the cultured pearl.

Pearl Diver by Victor Berge and Henry W. Lanier. The story of a young Swedish boy who ran away from home after his father died and eventually became a diver/captain on a pearl lugger off the coast of Australia. I first read this book when I was twelve then forgot all about it but it stayed in the back of my mind and I became a gem dealer and eventually rediscoved it when I began to collect rare gem books.

P.S. Now that you know all about the history, lore, chemistry, sources its time to learn how to judge their quality. My book is now available at 15% off for a signed author's edition on the Secrets Of The Gem Trade website. Needed to match Amazon. com but book will (trust me) never be discounted further.
    Last edited by Richard W. Wise; 05-31-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Satine De La Courcel

P.S. Now that you know all about the history, lore, chemistry, sources its time to learn how to judge their quality. My book is now available at 15% off for a signed author's edition on the Secrets Of The Gem Trade website. Needed to match Amazon. com but book will (trust me) never be discounted further.

LOL!!!!!!! I am slowly absorbibgit all!! for what I want to do with Pearls.. yes my main interest is history.. however all of it has me hooked!!! I will keep an eye out for the Other Pearl books you and Other have recomended.. I need to catch up on my reading right now and get other pearls projects started....

Ashby

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Richard W. Wise's Avatar

Anyone have anything new on vintage pearl books?
    Richard W. Wise
    author: Secrets Of The Gem Trade, The Connoisseur's Guide To Precious Gemstones 2nd expanded and revised edition (2016)

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I actually recently found some wonderful pearl books at the Strand in NYC. One from an exhibition at the Natural History Museum/Field Museum Pearls: A Natural History It contains some fantastic references to pearls throughout history, although published in 2001 hardly makes it vintage, but it does have a fabulous bibliography.

And if I may also say Richard, I just recently purchased your second edition and thoroughly enjoyed reading it cover to cover! A wonderful book for anyone interested in gems!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I also recently devoured the new edition of Secrets of the Gem Trade. Great book.