Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Hanaleimom's Avatar

I can't see it at work, but can see it at home. The filename has comma in it now.
    Cathy

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

I can not see the picture in post #9 only a red X, but the picture in post #1 is ok.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Can't channel Spirit of Nautilus on this one?
    Steve
    =======

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CLICLASP's Avatar

Thanks to Steve's advices, I succeeded in taking photos of my little one (it could be better, that's just a start )
    A button 16.33x16.12x 13.34 mm weighing 22.14ct, nearly white,
    but I did not correct the color on photos. All photos taken under sunlight.
    I already planned to set it as a ring in pink gold.
    Does anyone know if it can fade as pinch conches are related to?
    Well loosing color when you are already white, what can it be
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    CliClasp

My book on clasps' history with lots of pearls in : http://www.editions-terracol.com/en/...h-version.html
    My versatile jewelry : http://e-boutique.anna-tabakhova.com/en/
    My vintage coral : http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnlyVintageCoral
    Photo report on pearl exhibitions & museum (Paris, London, Berlin, Basel, Geneva ...) http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?10427

That's a very nice pearl, and actually quite large for that quality. The flame is haunting, and the shape is very nice. And you definitely do not need to worry about color fading! Please post the ring when it's done.
    Steve
    =======

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

It's beautiful, Anna, and will show beautifully in a ring--love the pink gold idea!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Hanaleimom's Avatar

Last night, I could see pic in post #9 at home. Today, it's red X at work. It must be my office PC.
    Cathy

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newberry View Post
    I can not see the picture in post #9 only a red X, but the picture in post #1 is ok.

The same for me.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    It's beautiful, Anna, and will show beautifully in a ring--love the pink gold idea!
    Yes - what she said!!!
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newberry View Post
    Me too. We need to figure this out. Maybe Steve should try posting it with a one-word name for another test?
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CLICLASP's Avatar

Thanks and thanks to the forum that brought me the idea of that type of pearl and educated me ...
    CliClasp

My book on clasps' history with lots of pearls in : http://www.editions-terracol.com/en/...h-version.html
    My versatile jewelry : http://e-boutique.anna-tabakhova.com/en/
    My vintage coral : http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnlyVintageCoral
    Photo report on pearl exhibitions & museum (Paris, London, Berlin, Basel, Geneva ...) http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?10427

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Trying saving your photos as jpegs before posting. That format is recognized by just about all computers.

Hi Anna
    I can hardly wait to see what you do with that. You and Steve seem to pioneering kimas as jewelry (love that name!)- or at least the first I've seen!
    Last edited by Caitlin; 09-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Pearly Shell's Avatar

So many beautiful examples!

A quick question: How rare are Kima pearls? As rare as Conch or Melo Melo? Less? What kind of value is placed on Kima pearls?
    Donna
    Graduate Gemologist & Pearl Devotee

From a dealer's perspective, I completely agree that 'Tridacna' is a less than attractive appellation for what is indeed a truly beautiful pearl. Other natural pearls such as the enchanting 'Melo' have names which hint at the true romance inherent in these stunning pearls, but 'Tridacna' sounds way too technical and indeed plain cold. Some stunning gemstones have suffered from a similar fate : spinel, for example, can be an absolutely breathtaking stone, but has been, and continues to this day to be hampered by its unattractive name.

In short, a re-branding of Tridacna makes sound commercial sense, and I will start to market some of my Tridacna stock on my website as Kima Pearls (tridacna species). Needless to say, I will follow this thread with great interest !

http://www.trocadero.com/OnlyNaturalPearls/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Final reposting for the photo in Post 9 is done (no punctuation in the name). Let me know…

Only Natural: Appreciate the solidarity. Kima represents a fresh start for this gem, more consistent with its peers and with its quality. Sometimes the most sensible ideas are also the most obvious!

I would maintain 'Tridacna' for non-gem-quality, such as Pearl of Allah (in large and small versions) or plain-surfaced specimens that require lab analysis to differentiate from carved shell.

Regarding rarity, that goes hand in hand with demand, which at this point is spotty for this species. But the best quality, such as Only Natural's specimen above, has a steady if not ultra-high-profile clientele. Pricing at source is comparable with a wide range of naturals (per carat or per gram), to this point without a lot of differentiation per quality. That represents some opportunities for the savvy buyer.

Hubert Bari in Pearls and a popular EBay seller testify to the rarity, but do not manage to show top quality. These would not be an example of Kima to my thinking, although certainly they are Tridacna. Pricing at the EBay seller is also extremely low, but perhaps appropriate for the quality.

Another aspect of Tridacna is its occasional stand-in status for two of pearldom's most mythical pearls: Coconut and Nautilus. In the former case, pearls of plain white surface such as the one linked in the previous paragraph are proposed as calcified vegetal concretions, "mustika" objects fetching astronomical prices in the Indo-Pacific area. In the latter case, which we now propose as Kima with flame and chatoyant halo, 'carefully documented' examples have been traded commercially and/or certified as Nautilus by reputable gem labs—including the 'Nautilus' published in Bari's Pearls.
    Steve
    =======