Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Fires In Australia

    I've watched with horror the stories of the bush fires and terrible death toll in the bush fires in Australia.
    Hope the Aussie PGers are all safe and well, and also their friends and families
    Thoughts also go to those battling to extinguish the fires

  2. #2
    Pearl Diver Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I've watched with horror the stories of the bush fires and terrible death toll in the bush fires in Australia.
    Hope the Aussie PGers are all safe and well, and also their friends and families
    Thoughts also go to those battling to extinguish the fires
    It really is sad. What a tragedy.

  3. #3
    Member Mka4972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    91

    Default

    It is a terrible and sad thing....My prayers are with all effected.
    Pearl Buyer/Manager
    Imperial-Deltah Inc

  4. #4
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nerida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Thanks Wendy for starting this thread. I was about to do something similar yesterday, but kept staring at the television screen in disbelief! It is awful, with so many deaths occurring as people, and families, ran from the flames... in cars, next to their abandoned cars, etc.
    We have a few Melbourne PG folk... let's hope they all live in the city rather than on the urban fringes.. and pray for all affected. Bushfires anywhere are a terrible thing. This is now the worst natural disaster in Australia's history, with 166 confirmed deaths to date... so much worse than the famous Ash Wednesday fires in the same region in the early 80's.

  5. #5
    Pearl Diver Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerida View Post
    Thanks Wendy for starting this thread. I was about to do something similar yesterday, but kept staring at the television screen in disbelief! It is awful, with so many deaths occurring as people, and families, ran from the flames... in cars, next to their abandoned cars, etc.
    We have a few Melbourne PG folk... let's hope they all live in the city rather than on the urban fringes.. and pray for all affected. Bushfires anywhere are a terrible thing. This is now the worst natural disaster in Australia's history, with 166 confirmed deaths to date... so much worse than the famous Ash Wednesday fires in the same region in the early 80's.
    Incredible. I saw where people who were trying to escape couldn't even see where they were going. I've been involved in a fire like that here in socal once. Until you see what a fire like that can do you wouldn't believe it. I was chased down a street driving in reverse as a giant cloud of flames chased me for about a half a block. Right down the middle of the street. No brush or fuel. Just like a wave of smoke and flame. I had never seen anything like it.
    What is going on in Aus is much worse. Really a sad thing.

  6. #6
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Sad news, and even sadder to hear that, allegedly, some of the fires could have been started deliberately

    DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

  7. #7
    Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Raisondetre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    962

    Default

    That's what really gets me. These people should be arrested and prosecuted, but they nearly always get away with a slap on the wrist. The government takes care of so much here it's obscene (not for middle class folk though, and as you know the rich are in another class), and people are no longer accountable for anything. Makes my blood run cold just to hear about yet another death, and the 4 kids and adult bodies which were huddled together in their home. Natural disaster is unfortunate, arson is heinous.
    Aspiring ninja. Go Storm Shadow!

  8. #8
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nerida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    They are saying that the arsonists, if found (and BTW they have photokits out this morning) will actually be charged with mass murder.

    I have been in a similar fire once... in Sydney in January 1994, as we stayed up all night hosing embers off our roof and stomping them out around the house as flames roared 20m into the air just 100m or so from our home. Our cars were packed, parked out on the road and ready to run for about 3 days. It was horrific, and I will never forget the sounds and the smell. Several homes in neighbouring areas were lost, our little microcommunity was fine - this was a tiny fire in comparison.

    It happens every time there are severe fire warnings due to abnormally hot weather.. some psychopath decides to light fires. The ones that were burning around Sydney on this past very hot weekend were all deliberately lit.

  9. #9
    Pearl Diver Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Mikeyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerida View Post
    They are saying that the arsonists, if found (and BTW they have photokits out this morning) will actually be charged with mass murder.

    I have been in a similar fire once... in Sydney in January 1994, as we stayed up all night hosing embers off our roof and stomping them out around the house as flames roared 20m into the air just 100m or so from our home. Our cars were packed, parked out on the road and ready to run for about 3 days. It was horrific, and I will never forget the sounds and the smell. Several homes in neighbouring areas were lost, our little microcommunity was fine - this was a tiny fire in comparison.

    It happens every time there are severe fire warnings due to abnormally hot weather.. some psychopath decides to light fires. The ones that were burning around Sydney on this past very hot weekend were all deliberately lit.
    Morons.

  10. #10
    purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,631

    Default

    Arson life endanger is equivalent to murder and carries a life sentence in England and Wales

  11. #11
    Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Raisondetre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Arson life endanger is equivalent to murder and carries a life sentence in England and Wales
    As it should. Just like the stupid teenagers who throw bricks/rocks off bridges over freeways, and kill innocent people. Some people need a license to have kids.
    Aspiring ninja. Go Storm Shadow!

  12. #12
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Hanaleimom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    I just read the news. This is so tragic. My prayers go out to all the affected families.
    Cathy

  13. #13

    Default

    Such a horrific tragedy for so many.
    Nerida, glad to hear you are safe, and Cathybear is in the north, so I hope to hear that she, her family, and her homes are safe from this terrifying disaster.
    Drucilla
    Romancing the pearl

  14. #14
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Amrita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tianjin & Beijing, China
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    This is so heart-breaking! Sending prayers and thoughts to those affected. Take care, P-Gers out there....

  15. #15
    Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    326

    Default

    It really is a very sad time here.

    The death toll tonight is said to be 181 and they still expect more to be found.

    Here's a link to local Melbourne newspapers

    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/

    http://www.theage.com.au/


    Mikeyy that type of tale is very familiar - and I believe much of the issue in California is that Australian Eucalyptus are so widely planted.

    In hot weather these trees are like waiting bombs - the oils present in their leaves are so flammable they literally do explode when any ignition occurs near them.

    We are in inner Melbourne so we are more or less quite safe.

    My hubby was telling me that a young girl from the office lost her aunt and uncle ( They were in their house, poor souls.)

    One town in particular, marysville was completely wiped out and it is now a crime scene as the fire was deliberately lit.

    You hear the tragic stories but there is some really amazing stories too, one was a mother and her son took refuge in a wombat mound (They tunnel into the ground) and the flames shot over them! every thing around them was lost, go figure.

    Regards Bernadette.

Similar Threads

  1. French Polynesia, New Zealand, and Australia...
    By jshepherd in forum Pearling Industry News
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM
  2. Pearl oysters died in Australia?
    By takikawa in forum Pearling Industry News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM
  3. Interesting Article out of Australia this Morning
    By MWP in forum Pearling Industry News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM
  4. First time pearl owner Australia
    By gailis in forum Freshwater Pearls
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
  5. The future of the South Sea Pearl Industry in Australia
    By GIAStudent in forum South Sea Pearls
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 07:06 AM