Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Finally checked out the Mastoloni web site.

By using similar graphical devices, it seems Mastoloni are trying for the same look (and therefore cachet) as Bvlgari, Cartier, Tiffany, Issey Miyake (clothier), and so on, all of which have web sites with large monochrome areas, relatively small product images, and much time devoted to image transitions.

These up-market sites convey almost no useful information, and so must exist out of an obligation to have a web presence and, while they're at it, to enhance the company's mystique. Although they sell things, they are too "private" to reveal these items clearly and openly to the public. Paucity of information equals exclusivity.

I dislike the "Control Freak" design mentality of such pages. They take up a lot of bandwidth. One has little control over the viewing experience. We see what Bvlgari (or whatever) wants us to see, at their pace. This is colossal arrogance.

Such companies feel that they alone dictate what is fashionable, what is beautiful (Witness "Les Musts de Cartier".). By negating our reason and direction in the viewing experience such companies, by extension, aim to control our thoughts about beauty, and ultimately about ourselves.

We are frustrated by such sites because we are not their intended audience. Informed, self-directed shoppers are unwelcome. Mastoloni is telling us, "Look at me! I'm just like Cartier!". Just like Cartier in that it would dearly prefer uninformed, insecure customers, who would pay top dollar for someone else's definition of beauty.

CarolK

Pearl Collector & Designer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sueki's Avatar

Have to agree with all of you.
    I hate it; very user-unfriendly.

sleight

If they are indeed strictly wholesalers, then they can't list too much information about pricing. Their customers - retail jewelry stores - wouldn't appreciate their vendor competing with them, eg selling on a website. What is puzzling is that they don't list any of their retailers - you would think that they'd dedicate a page to "where to purchase".

The site's focus is primarily on beautiful photos - they have an entire area dedicated to all their advertising campaigns. So I agree that it seems the site's purpose is to accentuate their "branding" as an exclusive luxury item.

I've seen Mastoloni Pearls at trade shows before, and they are beautiful. The sales lady was also incredibly nice, tolerating my desire to touch even though I wasn't a buyer. If indeed it is someone at Mastoloni who created this attack, it truly is disappointing and confusing. Why attack PP? I get that PP's success and acclaim could annoy others in the pearl industry. But really, the "look" of the pearls aren't the same, the business model isn't the same, and I would even say that the end customer perhaps, isn't always the same. If anything, the success of PP should inspire others to play their game better, reassess their strategies. Some have compared Mastoloni to luxury brands like Cartier and Tiffany. I'm certain no one at Cartier or Tiffany would ever resort to such attacks. That, in effect, counters their branding as a luxury good.

BTW, my daughter desperately wants a cat, but my husband detests cats and refuses. Maybe a bunny would be a good compromise?

Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Heidi's Avatar

Very much Not web 2.0 in approach. Which is not at all what a web developer would do today, or even a year ago. Interesting - because any company with that much capital to spend on advertising should be doing it with more demonstrated understanding of the web.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Heidi's Avatar

And Jeremy - house rabbits? That is just plain awesome!

Satine De La Courcel

After checking the Mastoloni web site. this is what I see. and my view. I will aim to be nice and stick with the point.

After visiting the Mastoloni web site to see what all the hubub was about from Yesterdays Ruccus I am not at all impressed. I do not impress easily anyway so that is not new.

I am rather insulted at the age old marketing techniques of Sex sells.

This is a rant towards the marketing strategy "sex sells" being used.

While the Product is a self seller in and upon itself the pictures of the Pearls on this site are stunning.

The Models themselves of beauty. Unfortunately withtehir poses looked rather like they were selling themselves to catch a wealthy patron. NOT selling the pearls. Which they were wearing and in a couple cases its hard to see the pearls on the model who is clearly what the picture is about not the product.

Am I beign too harsh??? I feel something is "a miss" with this and the connection is definately NOT made between the two for me.

This is a shame to see two types of beauty "vying for attention" like that.

The Difference I see is the focus in the pictures. Yes beautiful models are used in magazine Ads however the Product IS THE focal point and the model is the acessory.

These online "adds" are IMHO quite the reverse.

.........In reference to the harsh words against PP and Jeremy himself.........

This kind of unprofessional attack is an unfortunate sign of the times I have seen before it rears its ugly head up when the ecomonly is unsteady as it currenlty is. The main target is the whomever "man of the hour" is and right now the target is Jeremy and PP.

Its a shame this has to happen at all. Trying to discredit someone who is sucessful so another can weather the bad economiic storm better, shows desperation and is not generaelly a smart for business in the long run.

okay my rant and 2 ducats

Now for the Bunnies.... a friend of mine has 15 rabbits all rescued and they are all house rabbits... fur everywhere they know where they are to go potty and whre they can and can not be its amazing .. She does a lot of spinning, dyeing and knitting or chrochet for different garments.
    Last edited by Ash; 08-20-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: becasue I can....

Hi, Sleight,

Bunnies are ***really*** different from cats. You may want to check out the Colorado House Rabbit Society site:

http://www.coloradohrs.com/

Although it's a Colorado-based site, there's much good general information.

Also, to be a little clearer, what I meant to say was NOT that Mastoloni *is* like Cartier, but rather that its web page indicates that it *aspires* to be. Wannabe. Hehe.

They denigrate themselves by posing as something they're not. Sad thing is, they *do* appear to have nice pearls. With those limited pictures, they're not letting the product speak.

Pearl Paradise uses the web to inform and build its clientele. Other companies prefer irritating manipulative tactics. I prefer not to be messed with, and will take the straightforward site any day!!!

sleight

Bunnies are ***really*** different from cats. You may want to check out the Colorado House Rabbit Society site:

http://www.coloradohrs.com/

Although it's a Colorado-based site, there's much good general information.
    Thanks for the info - I'll check it out.

Funny incorporation of bunnies in a thread about Mastoloni!

Ashley

Such companies feel that they alone dictate what is fashionable, what is beautiful (Witness "Les Musts de Cartier".). By negating our reason and direction in the viewing experience such companies, by extension, aim to control our thoughts about beauty, and ultimately about ourselves.

Quite a succinct point.

fellow house rabbit people, who knew. I had my first house rabbit in 1971...that does age me. And of course she was so originally named:Alice.

A 3rd pearl

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

On that same page this LINK came up.

Notice the .com. Isn't it the same as the one we have been discussing?

Anyway, Wholesalers shop on the internet too, but they have to fill out a form with their business numbers, then they can shop. Stullers does that as do many other outfits.

Is Frank the founder? and Edward the grandson? Anyway I see a whole barrel of opportunity there. Get a meaningful presence on line and watch the sales roll in! Start promoting to the buyers and B&M's on the sales list.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 08-19-2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

If they are indeed strictly wholesalers, then they can't list too much information about pricing.
    Wholesalers often do not disclose the prices, until you are signed in. They tell you something like "sign in to see the prices."

On another thread, I discussed that a HUGE pearl distributer has lost almost 1/2 its American sales just in the last quarter! This implys that dealers in the US are not turning enough inventory to order more.

I do not think that website has won any awards lately, and there should be a page for links on the artsy website. The main page website should be taken down and started over with a more up-to-date site designer. It is way outdated and is lacking in a high class approach., so it is not clear what they are saying to their buyers......

I would guess that Mansang is a clear gauge of anyone trying to distribute pearls to the US.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 08-19-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: to remove an incorrect statement. Sorry.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Quote Originally Posted by sleight View Post
    Funny incorporation of bunnies in a thread about Mastoloni!
    Bunnies??? Who talks of bunnies??? Hehe. We House Rabbit fanatics *will* do that....

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nerida's Avatar

I've stayed out of this until now - I don't know Mastoloni at all, and cannot comment on the quality or image of their products.

However, I have checked out the website, and agree with most points above. A very dated format. But whilst Mastoloni are wholesalers, I think the website is simply a branding website (as said before, like Cartier et al) rather than directed to their wholesale customers. Hence no login page for customers. Also, to me, they seem to think themselves beyond the "our stockists" or "where to find us" type information, as it is assumed you probably already know that!

That said, if it is about image, then the modelling leaves much to be desired. Branding websites are meant to allure you to a desirable lifestyle, and for me, looking like a courtesan doesn't cut it!

Regarding their "rant" at PP and JS - as said above, the business models/product range/desired customer etc are vastly different. I would think that there would be much to be gained by them to be supportive of PP - Jeremy works constantly to improve the market penetration of pearls and pearl jewellery - something that benefits all pearl vendors!!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nerida's Avatar

A quick postscript - house rabbits! I grew up in an Australian state where keeping rabbits was strictly illegal... pity, we were left with guineapigs instead, and I think my childhood, and then that of my kids, was filled with dozens of them! I spent my childhood wishing for a pet rabbit (and a horse!)