Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Default splicing

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I thought that technique sounded a lot like splicing which is often used to finish a rope with no clasp.

I think knotty posted the link, but I don't remember where it is.
    Caitlin;
    You are pretty close. I am impressed with your stringing insite. I am finishing a 21" 17mm
    so sea ( get this) with 4 pairs of mystery clasps. Thats 8 holes up to 2.3mm wide and 4mm deep all drilled with 4 or 5 successive larger drills....Thanks for letting me vent.
    Splicing can only be done if the necklace is knotted and the thread broken off then trimmed is fit inside the hole. a
    knot is put on the remaining side and balance thru" the hole and finish knotted. This is like trying to describe a circular staircase without using your hands. Only temporary but amazing strong.

Quote Originally Posted by purepearls View Post
    Here is the tweezer method: http://beadwork.about.com/cs/beadsho...etweenbead.htm

In this description, tweezers are being used to help make the knots which makes the task more tedious.
    TRY A HIGH QUALITY DARNING NEEDLE. Use it only for knotting and not glue. You can buy these at most stores selling sewing supplies. For better grippage attach a pearl to the end.
    pearl-man

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

That's an especially useful tip if you are a firm believer in keeping your thread straight while knotting. Personally I have found darning needles too fat and the knots aren't close or tight enough for my taste. If I use a tool to guide the knot into place, I'll use a straight pin, but that's just me.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
    So when we organize this contest we will have to judge speed and quality? I think what pearl man is saying is. "Sure your fast, But are you good?" Man if that isn't a challange I don't know what one is. I don't know if I'd stand for it.

Keep in mind that my knotting skills would likely leave me dead on the floor strangled in my own thread. But I don't have to be a boxer to enjoy a good fight.

In the immortal words of Mills Lane "Lets get it on"
    Who is going to judge? I just finished a 21" 17mm and a 20" 14mm and a 17" 12mm knotted 1 bead at a time because the knots continued on slipping. It needed sliding up tight so the heavy pearls were less likely to stretch the thread....

It would be quite a mass online video of us knotting all at the same time?????

N aka pearlman

Default stringing

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Hi
    Those are ball and socket clasps. No magnet. Though Bella's Findings carries a magnetic clasp that slides open like a some of those new cell phones or a drawer. They are easy to use- I can do my own bracelet, but they are only available in SS too
    Ball and socket style locking clasp 20x6mm

LINK It looks like a little trailer ball hitch; just insert and snap it locked. Easy to use, hard to lose.
    Details

SKU 52200202
    Weight 0.01 lbs
    Price: $5.90
    I have never seen these ball and socket...interesting...
    In 14k or 18k the choices are limited...
    I am on mission to investigate this clasp braclet stuff.
    One handed folded works well. Now find in 14k.
    Norm

pattye

Norm,
    Do you only knot with silk?
    I just finished a 21" 17mm and a 20" 14mm and a 17" 12mm knotted 1 bead at a time

I was taught to use bead tips, but I find that using French wire is more secure and looks better. It is easy to do.