Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl

Default Faceted Tahitian Pearl? Check this...

Ok. I just managed to get my jaw closed after stumbling across this remarkable piece. Will try my hand at posting a link to it.

http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/ind...7362&R=2800504

So, what the *&%# is a faceted tahitian pearl and how is it done and why, but the effect looks amazing (to say nothing of the bazillion gems surrounding it...and still the pearl wins out...)

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I've seen and held a faceted tahitian pearl at a jeweler in CT who has unusual gemstones. The facets are flat but look convex! Gorgeous. It was about $6000. Not in my budget!

jerin

Faceted pearls are carved pearls, they have to have very thick nacre so that can be done. We have some thread with a lot of posts about one of our members, he is doing a very high end line with carved pearls and diamonds and other gem stones in them.

I found it: Chi Huynh from Vietnam is the one who is making these jewels in a company called Galatea and if you search for Diamond in a Pearl or Galatea there is an article by Modern Jeweler.com that is very interesting.
    One of his really lovely carved pearls is called the "Mercy Pearl with a Turquoise in the nucleus of a carved Tahitian!

Unfortunately I can?t see the picture you posted here but it should be something like it, perhaps.
    Last edited by jerin; 02-26-2008 at 09:22 AM.

First-graft Pearl

Is there anyone else besides me that can see the picture? If not...maybe I can repost it a different way.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Hanaleimom's Avatar

Default pearl

I see the link just fine.

pattye

Hummm--interesting. They have been faceting freshwaters for quite a while; they are inexpensive. It is a way of making less desirable and flawed pearls marketable. Often they are dyed. Personally, I like them. I would think that Tahitians would need thick nacre, and very small facets, but it could be done. Also could probably use Tahitians with some surface flaws also. I can't imagine paying four figures for one!

Although I sure would (if I could afford it) for one of Chi's carved creations with the gem nucleus!! LOVE!!!

Let me know if you would like to see a photo of the fw--I could "attempt" one!!

Pattye
    so many pearls, so little time

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Oh Pattye, please! I'll trade you photo wishes and pearl dreams
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

pattye

Ok, here you go--remember these are freshwaters, so are basically all nacre---
    [ATTACH]Name:  faceted pearl 1.JPG
Views: 1766
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  faceted pearl 2.JPG
Views: 1576
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  faceted pearl 3.JPG
Views: 3061
Size:  87.9 KB[/ATTACH]

The white pearls are about 8.5mm, The funky oval pearls larger, but difficult to actually measure. The "black peacock" do show a lot of colors. ***ALL FRESHWATERS*** but posted here to show faceting. These are likely not done with the same amount of care one would have to take with a Tahitian!

pattye
    Last edited by pattye; 02-26-2008 at 03:43 AM.

First-graft Pearl

The facets show up nicely on the black ones. I have a couple of pink faceted freshwaters somehere...meant to be accent beads...never used them but I meant to do them up with rose quartz. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I never thought about faceting tahitians and didn't realize until tonight that people were doing this. I need to get out more.

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

I gotta say, I do like the carved Tahitians but the is it just me or does the "faceting" just look like horrible??
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Raisondetre's Avatar

I must say I prefer carving to faceting. TPO has some pretty good deals on the Galatea so it's not that unaffordable.
    Aspiring ninja. Go Storm Shadow!

GemGeek

The first faceted Tahitian pearl I saw was at a display at GIA Headquarters. It was shimmering silver, at least 18mm, and absolutely perfect. At first, I wasn't sure I liked it, but they grow on you. I didn't like the idea of messing with perfection - they have to be good to begin with, to turn out well. And it's true, the faceting plays tricks on your eyes by looking convex instead of flat. And this pearl had hundreds of facets - think geodesic dome...

I saw a fabulous large faceted golden south sea pearl set in jewelry in Tucson, but I didn't get around as much as I would have liked, so I didn't see any faceted freshwaters and, in fact, I haven't seen them for quite a while. Pattye's real faceted freshwaters are great. Most of what I saw a couple of years ago were freshwaters nucleated with faceted beads - a thinly-nacred attempt at looking like faceted pearls.

Pattye, did you see any faceted pearls in Tucson?

The faceted Tahitian that I saw was a gray color and the faceting was beautiful. I'm not so sure it would have been so attractive in a blacker pearl.

pattye

Hi Blaire and all,

At the gem show saw only a few faceted pearls, dyed, they were probably under $10 per strand. Did not see any of the top quality like you did, Blaire. Darn. I think faceting would be interesting done evenly on a very fine pearl. I think it will remain a novelty, and never be very popular.

My faceted pearls were purchased a few years ago, and about $10-20 strand at the most. Certainly not great pearls! It is true, the faceting tends to look convex.

Pattye