Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    purepearls

Default Charity of the Month Featuring Pearls

I really am looking for a creative way to give back that involves customers and I think it would be fun to have a charity of the month. We would have a percentage of proceeds from our "Charity Collection" (which is the current alias) go to a different charity every month. What are your thoughts on that idea? Do you have a better idea?

Also, what are some of your favorite charities? I am really drawn to:

National Breast Cancer
    CureAutismNow
    Juvenile Diabetes Foundation
    Starlight Foundation

I would love to hear your feedback and any ideas!
    Last edited by purepearls; 08-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I think it is a really good idea. Although I would pick a charity that would help people in Asia, after earthquakes/typhoons/etc. After all most of the pearls are coming from here. Might be a nice way to give back a little. Maybe just via Red Cross?

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Well, it may be necessary. Did you see the thread started by Bigwellpearls? YIKES! I wonder about the freshwater beds. To be honest, I didn't really read SO closely, because my fingers keep twitching to another screen right now. But so sad...

Ashley

Yeah- I haven't gotten to read it all yet either, but that is just such a tragedy... When that tidal wave struck near India two years ago there was such wide-spread devastation! Every stone wholesaler that I knew immediately started collecting contributions to send overseas to help families rebuild and restore businesses.

Another charity that I really like is the Smile Train- it is oral surgery for children all over the world born with cleft palates whose parents cannot afford the procedure.

boo

I *really* like all of the charities mentioned. They all do wonderful things.

Satine De La Courcel

There are a LOT of charities to choose from,

Do not forget

Runaway Shelters
    Women's Shelters
    World Wildlife Fund
    Wildlfe Warriors
    Diabetes Association
    Wolf Education Research Center

This list goes on! donating to your local causes as well. even if they are small in nature but do make a difference is also a good Idea.

Cheers

Happy Friday

Ash

boo

Ash, Amanda mentioned the Juvenile Diabetes Fndn - a particular fave of mine, since my husband and son are both type 1 diabetics (as was my cat!). I also think it's worth mentioning the Nature Conservancy, since they are working on habitat restoration for N American mussels.

purepearls

I think it might be fun to do a vote every month for which charity will be featured. I think donating to the Red Cross is a great idea and I have in the past. Donating to international charities is a little more difficult because I am not familiar with the quality control of where the money actually goes.

Thanks for all your feedback and ideas for new charities! These are all great ideas!

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I like to see this sort of thing going on.

We are actually launching something similar this month, with a twist where we are not targeting a specific charity, simply a genre or several.

For your donation program, maybe you could put something on your Site for people to nominate a charity. Or even during checkout, people can vote or enter a charity name for consideration.

Satine De La Courcel

Quote Originally Posted by boo
    Ash, Amanda mentioned the Juvenile Diabetes Fndn - a particular fave of mine, since my husband and son are both type 1 diabetics (as was my cat!). I also think it's worth mentioning the Nature Conservancy, since they are working on habitat restoration for N American mussels.

Hi Boo,

Great one about the Nature Conservancy! (I donate to them) ... BTW there has been a rethink about Dioabetes Type II is not just adult onset anymore. especially with the Obesity epidemic in North America. My Mom is Type II so Is My best friends 9 year old Girl and 13 my year old cousin! Seems as if Diabetes is the "New Cancer"

anyway My Whole point for my post was ther are counless ones to choose from.

t

purepearls

I am excited to launch this program! There are so many ways we can build it. I've always wanted to have a foundation and I think this is a good start towards that goal.

Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd
    For your donation program, maybe you could put something on your Site for people to nominate a charity. Or even during checkout, people can vote or enter a charity name for consideration.

Excellent idea! I like how it really encourages customers to get involved in the action!

Casey.R

womenforwomen.org

Satine De La Courcel

Ther are so may organizations out ther that do good I wish you luck in yoru choices!

Cheers

Satine

pattye

Hi All,

There are, if you Google "charitable organization ratings," a number of sites with various ways of evaluating groups. I particularly like the ones that don't have huge fundraising budgets and the money actually goes to the programs, and there are plenty.

I also have been thinking along those lines with my fledgling jewelry business, of having a percentage of each sale (say 15-20%) go to a charity of the buyers choice. They would choose from a list of local or national charities, and designate at the time of sale. Also with the idea of holding trunk shows, with the designated percentage going to a specific single charity. Personally I like the ideas of both Ashley and Jeremy, obviously it will be a bit different for each. I think the buyer would like to know the amount that will be going to the charity. Appreciate any and all feedback----I know, I still haven't posted any photos----soon-----

Pattye
    so many pearls, so little time