Default More Pearl Finds!

My latest thrift buys. Are they akoyas and fresh water? I love the pink and gray strands and the chunky silver clasp. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Kimberly Michalski
    http://www.inkhounds.com

Kimberley22, you do have good finds...this is what I think from the photos...
    The first strand may be freshwater, the second strand is set on fishing line (?) with round pearls perhaps Akoya, the last strand has me more stumped... the pink pearls are cfwp but I am thinking Tahitian with the baroques

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

First photo, fwp
    Pearls on nylon, may be imitation-- did you try the tooth test, examine the drill holes?
    Multistrand necklace, fwp including dyed pearls. I don't think those are Tahitians. They have the shape of baroque akoyas but the color of dyed FWP. What is the size of the dark pearls?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

I flipped the last photo to see the bigger pearls against the ruler edge. Looks like the bigger pearls are around 8 - 9mm average??? I'm guessing dyed baroque akoyas on the bigger pearls?

Name:  pearlsss4rsup.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  44.3 KB
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

It's just so odd to see akoyas dyed that color. I'm sure I've never seen any that color.

Could they be dyed bead nucleated fwp?

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Be careful, Kimberly22, nylon doesn't age well, being damaged by UV, even neon tube ones!
    As it's difficult to make tighted knots on nylon, or there are breaking points, sure pearls have been glued on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    First photo, fwp
    Pearls on nylon, may be imitation-- did you try the tooth test, examine the drill holes?
    Multistrand necklace, fwp including dyed pearls. I don't think those are Tahitians. They have the shape of baroque akoyas but the color of dyed FWP. What is the size of the dark pearls?
    Pearl Dreams, the floating (fishing line) pearls are genuine. They are gritty and I can tell by the other attributes. Thanks!
    Kimberly Michalski

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

How did I miss these earlier? Excellent loot, Kimberly! Agree with PD, first strand is freshwater, if the drill holes have a sharp edge on the nylon tin cup, they are so round they would be Akoya (5 mm?) probably.

Remember we measure size of pearl perpendicular to the drill hole, so the dark pearls are about 7-8mm? I get to see quite a few Tahitians and the way the color shows up on these pearls looks more like dyed bead nucleated freshwater and the shapes just don't seem quite right for Tahitians. Pinks appear to be natural color with excellent luster. Great clasp, bet this necklace looks stunning on!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I agree that the top are freshwater and that the second strand might be lower grade Akoya as the lustre is nice but not sharp.. and they are so round. The third necklace is very cool and the little lavender pearls are nice little freshwaters but the larger ones have me wondering. The look to be around 10mm which would be pretty big for Akoya but the colour suggested they aren't - I've never seen Akoya dyed like that. I'd think Tahitian but the colour is weird .. but maybe they were low grade and they dyed them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I agree that the top are freshwater and that the second strand might be lower grade Akoya as the lustre is nice but not sharp.. and they are so round. The third necklace is very cool and the little lavender pearls are nice little freshwaters but the larger ones have me wondering. The look to be around 10mm which would be pretty big for Akoya but the colour suggested they aren't - I've never seen Akoya dyed like that. I'd think Tahitian but the colour is weird .. but maybe they were low grade and they dyed them ?
    Thanks, Pattye!
    Kimberly Michalski

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    Thanks Katbran!
    Kimberly Michalski

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

So neat to see everyone's opinion. There's no doubt the first is fwp. The second, I thought was a lower quality akoya. The third, I thought, was fwp for the small and a dyed baroque akoya. The larger pearls have me stumped too, but I figured cfw don't really come in shapes like that in that size. Baroque akoyas don't come in those colors, and the surface is definitely dyed on those pearls.