Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ckent12 View Post
    Just for the sake of value comparison, The Pearls of Joy strand was $100 more, but I definitely feel the quality is substantially better and Im glad I didn't settle for the other pearls.
    The value difference is much more than $100. The nacre on Akoya pearls as thin as that on the Pearl Source strand will be gone in a matter of months.

It irks me because calling those pearls the top 5% and describing them as having thick nacre as they are described on the website is simply untruthful and wrong.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Here we see the difference in what The Pearl Source considers AA+, and what Pearls of Joy considers AA+. The POJ strand shows a higher standard.

There is no universally accepted grading system for pearls, unlike diamonds. Vendors get to decide for themselves how to grade their pearls-- and what the grades mean.

But buyers get to choose their vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Here we see the difference in what The Pearl Source considers AA+, and what Pearls of Joy considers AA+. The POJ strand shows a higher standard.

There is no universally accepted grading system for pearls, unlike diamonds. Vendors get to decide for themselves how to grade their pearls-- and what the grades mean.

But buyers get to choose their vendors.
    That is true, but my biggest problem with this is the grading. This is from The Pearl Source's website. That strand of pearls, according to their own website, would be graded A and not AA+. The pearls are off round, the nacre is thin and the luster is poor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

I sure hope they don't give you any grief returning the strand.

So that necklace didn't meet TPS's own standards, based on that chart.

It is possible that a mistake was made when the item was packed, and the wrong item sent. Any business can make an error in what it ships out, especially during busy sale periods.

Editing to add this: Even if it was just a packing error, why would a pearl vendor want to carry that terrible quality of pearls??? Why would they want to sell them to anyone?

Take a look at the last sentence in both the A grade and the AA grade. According to this, they don't even carry them. I don't believe there is anything unintentional about them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, that is interesting.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

That's a much better photo of the original strand. The lustre is pretty ordinary .. THE POJ strand has a lovely sharp lustre . Definitely the far far better option. If you're going to spend money on pearls...buy the best you can afford.

I got my gem quality freshwaters and I am trying to decide which to keep the AA+ Akoyas or the gem quality freshwaters. The freshwaters are beautiful and so shiny! I am leaning towards them. They are looking a bit smaller than the Akoyas though they both said 6.5-7mm. I don't really mind smaller Im 5'1" and pretty tiny. My main reason for wanting Akoya was that they are what my Nana's pearls were and they come in rose. I think the freshwaters are showing rose overtone too though. My big concern with the Akoyas is wearing out. I would like to wear the pearls frequently after my wedding, will they Akoyas be worn through in a few years if I do this? Im posting photos side by side, thoughts and opinions are welcome!
    Name:  IMG_2084.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  43.8 KB
    Freshwaters Bottom, Akoyas Top (both Pearls of Joy
    Name:  IMG_5065.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  44.8 KB
    Bottom Akoyas (The Pearl Source), Middle Freshwater (POJ),Top Akoyas(POJ)
    **I'm not a photographer, I did the best I could with an iPhone and a window, the pearls look better in person

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Oh you can definitely see a quality difference there! Both the freshwater and akoya pearls from Pearls of Joy are clearly far superior. Either would be a great choice to keep in my opinion.

Akoyas will last a lifetime (and more) as long as the nacre is thick enough and they are properly cared for. Always wiping the pearls off after wearing and protecting them from any perfumes, lotions, on the skin they touch goes a long way in making sure they stay beautiful. You'll want to do that with any kind of pearl though. It really just boils down to personal preference!
    You can never be too dressed-up.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

How super that you have 2 beautiful necklaces to choose from! Freshwaters can definitely have a rose overtone. The gem freshwater will likely stand up to frequent wearing better than Akoyas, as long as you avoid spritzing them with hair spray and colognes, which can dull the luster of any type pearl.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Good akoyas ( and the ones from POJ are good) should last decades.

The photos speak for themselves! The only bad choice would be the dull akoyas.

High luster can make pearls look larger.

Now my biggest issue is I donít want to give either of them back 😢 I definitely canít afford both so I think Iím keeping the Akoya for my wedding and hoping a longer strand of those gem freshwaters are in my future. After wedding debts are gone!

My only suggestion is to try them on your neck with and without your wedding dress and see which appeals to you more. Sometimes against your skin and clothes make a difference.