Default Kobe cultured pearl earrings

Hi everyone
    I have a pair of Kobe cultured pearl earrings made by Ozawa Pearl Co. My mum was given them in the early 80s by a Japanese work colleague of my dad (engineer). My mum would like me to sell them on her behalf and I want to see if they're worth anything to know where to sell them, or if anyone knows anything about them.

To answer the questions: 1. They feel gritty when rubbed together. 2. See photos. 3. History given above. 4. On the back of the clasp is the imprint of the word 'SILVER'. 5. They measure 8mm each - see pics. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images             

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pareltje's Avatar

Flibberdejibbet, you got a pair of Japanese akoya pearls.
    I hope others will chip in to tell you more about the price although I think you can always check Ebay or Etsy to get an idea about how much your pearls are worth.
    Follow me on Instagram @margaritas108

As the pearls are in decent size and quality, but the settings are sterling silver and the fact that it is pre owned I'd think the earrings may worth around $50?

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Pre-owned pearls do not tend to sell for much...
    I didn't see any "sold" listings like yours but someone has a slightly smaller pair listed for $44/or Make an offer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Sto...oAAOSwmmxW13Eo

If you don't want to go the eBay route you could list them on Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro, or a local consignment shop.

Thanks! How do you tell that they're akoya?

Thank you for this. Hood to know about size and quality. Wow...was not expecting them to be worth that much ��

Thank you. Those look exactly like my ones but with slightly smaller pearls. That's great for comparison and also is in keeping with what nnguye20 says. I was going to sell on Facebook, but I might try your suggestions instead

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flibberdejibbet View Post
    Thanks! How do you tell that they're akoya?
    There weren't any freshwater pearls that were round back then, and given the size all they could be are akoyas.

Thank you for this. Hood to know about size and quality. Wow...was not expecting them to be worth that much ��
    This is an estimate; their actual value depends on what someone is willing to pay for them. Could be more, could be less. From your photos the quality looks decent. They are lustrous and don't have obvious blemishes.

Thank you. Those look exactly like my ones but with slightly smaller pearls. That's great for comparison and also is in keeping with what nnguye20 says. I was going to sell on Facebook, but I might try your suggestions instead
    Someone without pierced ears may be happy to find an 8mm pair with screw backs. Good luck!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

I agree with the others. If you look on ebay, the 14k gold version of your earrings are going for between $60-$75.00

I saw this style earring set with peacock Tahitian's in 14k. I purchased them and had them soaked off the findings and reset into posts to make studs for my second piercing. Have you considered having them remounted and wearing them yourself?
    Last edited by lilliefuzzysocks; 04-26-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Btw I heard that antique pearls tend to have thicker nacre? Is that worth mentioning?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by nnguye20 View Post
    Btw I heard that antique pearls tend to have thicker nacre? Is that worth mentioning?
    Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't have thicker nacre.

For me, antique must be over a 100 years old. Less than 100 years old is vintage. Mid 1900's retro. I'm not sure how other people feel about those categories.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't have thicker nacre.

For me, antique must be over a 100 years old. Less than 100 years old is vintage. Mid 1900's retro. I'm not sure how other people feel about those categories.
    I agree with BWeaves' definitions. I would also avoid calling them antique due to the age. They're nice pearls. Good luck in whatever you decide.

BRaves and SunSeeker, thank you for verifying. I didn't really understand the terms oops. In my country we just called old things, well, "old" (it sounds a bit fancier in Vietnam tho)

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I think they are very pretty and wish you luck selling them. Definitely call them vintage or preloved