Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    That looks like a natural strand of pearls to me. I don't think it's cultured.
    Thank you for all the helpful replies. I though I could reply to each one individually when I selected "reply" inside each component. Using my loupe I detect tiny little pimples and I read an article which described this as a cultured pearl characteristic. If that's the case, then I will not send them off for testing. However, if natural pearls could share this characteristic, I will send them off for testing. Thank you all for your helpful comments!

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    The clasp alone is really amazing, but if they are natural pearls, you've really got an amazing find! I personally think the pearls are too round to be natural, but it's a bit difficult to tell with your photos. You may want to try candling (do a search for it) or if you have easy access to an xray machine, get them xrayed. Did you get the clasp tested or are you going on the word of the store? I would definitely double check the metal and diamond yourself, or at a jewelry store.
    I apologize for the photos. I took them with my phone. The pearls aren't so perfect when I turn them, but they don't look really wonky either. Do any of you live near Columbus, Ohio?

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly22 View Post
    Thank you for all the helpful replies. I though I could reply to each one individually when I selected "reply" inside each component. Using my loupe I detect tiny little pimples and I read an article which described this as a cultured pearl characteristic. If that's the case, then I will not send them off for testing. However, if natural pearls could share this characteristic, I will send them off for testing. Thank you all for your helpful comments!
    This is also characteristic of natural pearls - nacre "growth" is not always symmetrical whether it be in cultured or wild conditions. I have natural pearls with strange, baroque nacre "growths." I don't think you can use this sort of surface characteristic to determine if a pearl is cultured or natural, though you possibly could use that for determining real from fake (imitation).
    Curious to hear what others think about this particular topic.
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Quote Originally Posted by MSC View Post
    This is also characteristic of natural pearls - nacre "growth" is not always symmetrical whether it be in cultured or wild conditions. I have natural pearls with strange, baroque nacre "growths." I don't think you can use this sort of surface characteristic to determine if a pearl is cultured or natural, though you possibly could use that for determining real from fake (imitation).
    Curious to hear what others think about this particular topic.
    How incredibly exciting to learn this! Is there a consensus in this community regarding which lab is best within the US?

The clasp tested platinum by a professional who said the diamond was genuine. My electronic diamond tester also reflects that the diamond is real.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

For testing, recommend the GIA labs, which are located in NY and Carlsbad CA. They will give you info on how to ship safely. We'll be excited to hear what you find out.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I'm posting this to show you how to multi-quote. First you click on the little solitary quotation marks icon in the lower right of each post that you want to quote. It will then display a check mark (or "tick" mark, as some call it). Then also click on "reply with quote" for the final quote that you want to reply to.

...I though I could reply to each one individually when I selected "reply" inside each component.
    Here I demonstrate that you can also quote only part of what a person posted. Just delete what you don't want to quote.

And that reminds me of an old elephant joke from my childhood.
    Q: How do you carve an elephant out of marble?
    A: Get a block of marble, and just carve away everything that doesn't look like elephant.

When quoting, you can "carve away" everything you don't want to quote. Use an ellipsis (...) to show you omitted words.

How incredibly exciting to learn this! Is there a consensus in this community regarding which lab is best within the US?
    This is just to show you can reply to each quote individually.

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    For testing, recommend the GIA labs, which are located in NY and Carlsbad CA. They will give you info on how to ship safely.....
    I agree with Pattye. End of demo.

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    For testing, recommend the GIA labs, which are located in NY and Carlsbad CA. They will give you info on how to ship safely. We'll be excited to hear what you find out.
    Thank you, Pattye! I shipped them to GIA today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I'm posting this to show you how to multi-quote. First you click on the little solitary quotation marks icon in the lower right of each post that you want to quote. It will then display a check mark (or "tick" mark, as some call it). Then also click on "reply with quote" for the final quote that you want to reply to.

Here I demonstrate that you can also quote only part of what a person posted. Just delete what you don't want to quote.

And that reminds me of an old elephant joke from my childhood.
    Q: How do you carve an elephant out of marble?
    A: Get a block of marble, and just carve away everything that doesn't look like elephant.

When quoting, you can "carve away" everything you don't want to quote. Use an ellipsis (...) to show you omitted words.

This is just to show you can reply to each quote individually.

I agree with Pattye. End of demo.
    Thank you for taking the time to share a tutorial! Very kind. Loved the quote.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Very exciting, Kimberly. I look forward to what GIA says!

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Same here - it will be educational for the forum to see the results of the testing!
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

This is very exciting!!! Did they say how long it would take?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I'm very curious to see what the GIA lab says. It would be amazing if this thrift store find were rare naturals.

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    This is very exciting!!! Did they say how long it would take?
    No, they didn't indicate how long. But, I believe the website indicates about, or up to 2 weeks. They received them today per my email USPS confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I'm very curious to see what the GIA lab says. It would be amazing if this thrift store find were rare naturals.
    Indeed! However, what attribute/s would constitute a "rare" natural? Thanks!