Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I would hope vendors wouldn't be selling strands containing pearls that had to be glued and redrilled, though.

I'd be worried that the bit of glue that hadn't been drilled out wouldn't hold the nucleus indefinitely and when it came time for me to restring, I wouldn't be able to line up the drill hole in the nacre with the drill hole in the bead.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

I have found kinds of metal hair pins as beads of "keshi" pearls, hard gravels in baroque pearls... We'll even discover a shoe, soon

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    It's pretty easy to sort out a loose nucleus especially if you have a pearl drill.
    1 If you can be bothered squirt some glue into both drill holes and allow to set (wipe off any on the outside obviously).
    2 Put the pearl into the drill very carefully aligning the tip of the bit with both holes (if there are two). flip back and forth several times to check. The bit will go through the glue easily if you have used it but the glue will hold the nuke in place
    3 re-drill the nucleus from one side only
    4 leave the pearl on the drill bit, then carefully ease pearl off the bit and simultaneously onto a scrap of wire to hold it in place (bend wire at 90Deg to secure in place) until threading or setting.
    5 do not remove wire until pearl is at least half threaded onto needle/finding because if you do...see 1 and repeat!
    This doesn't sound remotely easy...
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I would hope vendors wouldn't be selling strands containing pearls that had to be glued and redrilled, though.

I'd be worried that the bit of glue that hadn't been drilled out wouldn't hold the nucleus indefinitely and when it came time for me to restring, I wouldn't be able to line up the drill hole in the nacre with the drill hole in the bead.
    This is why I always transfer the pearls to wire, even on a restring. It helps to keep them properly aligned.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

I'm curious about why the nucleus separates from the nacre and what conditions causes it to occur...
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Pearlescence Thank you so much for the advice. Thankfully the pearls are already half-drilled so a beginner like me don't have to struggle so much ��

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I never even knew that nuclei could be loose and roll around inside pearls until I restrung my BBAs.

I also find those particular akoyas to feel "light." I actually wondered if the nuclei were hollow plastic beads because even when I found a hole, it seemed like there wasn't a tunnel through the bead but a big open space, which made it hard to find the hole on the other side, even with a firm needle. On the plus side, they're not heavy to wear. On the minus side, they're almost too light feeling. But since the nuclei are loose I can tell they have VERY thick nacre, so that's good.
    BWeaves that's a great way to think of this! I was really concerned about the weight, since it feels like hollow bead of plastic/cheap metal. But as you said, these pearls have thick nacre, so I don't have to worry about them wearing off in the future.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Purr, JP, I was thinking the same thing too!! And I have also encountered an occasional loose nuclei! ....grrr! I can see why Jeremy collects them in a box. nnguy20, you have pretty pearls. Maybe ask the vendor to replace or just enjoy them in a cage pendent.

Quote Originally Posted by SunSeeker View Post
    Purr, JP, I was thinking the same thing too!! And I have also encountered an occasional loose nuclei! ....grrr! I can see why Jeremy collects them in a box. nnguy20, you have pretty pearls. Maybe ask the vendor to replace or just enjoy them in a cage pendent.
    I think I will try my luck in making them into earrings. Can be an interesting (might be annoying?) experience