View Poll Results: Which is the Hanadama strand?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll

5 83.33%
  • Bottom

1 16.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Don't worry about the color; it's the focus that is more important.

Take 2 side by side photos with the pearl stands right next to each other, altering which strand is on top and which is on the bottom.

Left = Top and Right = Bottom

Alright, I didn't get them as close as I probably should have and was in and out before reading about putting the strands in various spots. I thought this angle would be good though. This is the same AA strand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh, I got a pic of the Miki A and the hanadama. Aside from the coloring being very pink so that the hanadama's seem bleached beside them, it seems like better equality.

Name:  Miki  A and PP.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  107.1 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

The hanadama strand, which I assume is the one on the right in the last photo, looks more lustrous now that it is in focus.

The pinking in the Miki strand increases the contrast between the dark centers and the periphery-- and normally greater contrast comes across as greater luster. But is it actually greater luster, or just more color contrast? (I find that photos tend to enhance this contrast; I don't see the difference as much in person.) Also, looking at the bright spots of reflection, they do not seem very different in their degree of sharpness from one strand to the other.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you have a strand you love (within your budget, of course). If that specific strand you bought isn't it, then return or exchange it and find one that thrills you. You might even prefer a pinked strand over a natural white. If you prefer Miki, then buy Miki.

If I could, I would choose all my pearls in person. You might want to do an exchange in person.

I played with the color to make the background more white.
    Honestly to me the difference here is mostly between pinked and not-pinked. Do you like pinked better?

Name:  color corrected Miki  A and PP.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  25.7 KB

I played with the color to make the background more white.
    Honestly to me the difference here is mostly between pinked and not-pinked. Do you like pinked better?

Name:  color corrected Miki  A and PP.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  25.7 KB
    In this image, the pinked strand is the Miki A -- Rather than the AA. I just felt that they were closer in quality where the Miki AA seems sharper to me. I liked the orient effect better on the Miki.

Ok, so it sounds like maybe you do prefer pinked strands, at least on the cloth in front of you. How did the Miki strands look against your skin?

I used to think I would want natural white akoyas, but I really like the look of my baroque akoyas against my skin, and they are pinked.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 01-10-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you Pearl Dream!

Have a look at the two strands above the image with the ends showing. I should have done it one at a time to not be confusing.

I like both against my skin at that size. It's hard to notice much difference when they are on. I guess I might just have to arrange to show up for the exchange to pick. After this little comparison shopping and seeing the trays even at Miki's showroom, it's very obvious the range of color.

Okay, so I did the same color correction on the photo with the AA Miki.

I'm just looking at the center 2 rows of pearls as the pearl on the far right are a bit out of focus. A few pearls in the pinked strand on the left looks very slightly more lustrous to me, but the primary difference I see, as in the other photo, is the contrast caused by the rosy tone. I can see why akoya pearls have traditionally been pinked.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So, for the end of the poll, the bottom/right strand is the Hanadama pearls.

Price-wise, I think it's a good deal, but to put them up against Mikis....well....the Mikis show their quality.

Remember, every strand is unique, because the pearls are made by oysters, not by machines. That goes for the hanadama strand and it goes for the Miki strands.

If that particular hanadama strand doesn't make you happy, I think you can probably find another one that does. It is too much to spend not to get something you love. My opinion anyway.

So the winner is a Miki A? Or AA? Wow.
    Maia, can you please show us the Hanadama certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by Masik View Post
    So the winner is a Miki A? Or AA? Wow.
    Maia, can you please show us the Hanadama certificate?
    Well, I would say that the Miki A and this strand of Hanadamas are close with the A being much pinker. I think the Miki AA is better than the Hanadamas. Of course the price is roughly 6x more for the Miki AA (But as the appraisal lists it for the same price of Mikis AA...I don't think that's right....)

Taken with a grain of salt, the MIki sales person pointed out several of the pearls she thought were off-round at the ends, but it was so slight, it wasn't something I noticed. Still, it bothered me that this cert clearly says 'perfectly round'...and a pro can tell they're not just by rolling them in their fingers. :P I counted the pearls and they match but I still think it would be /real/ easy to have a cert and toss any strand with it so long as the pearl count matches. It's not like anything is stamped with that matching number. Just like any pearls can be strung to a Miki clasp....doesn't mean they are 'really' Mikis'.

Name:  Pearl Cert.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  76.3 KB
    Last edited by GoldenMaia; 01-17-2018 at 04:19 PM.

6x more, yikes!

Thank you for posting the certificate. Were these the regular (pinked) hanadamas, or the natural whites?

I suppose it might be even more interesting to see a number of hanadama strands compared with a number of Mikis. The sample size here was very small-- only 1 hanadama and 2 Mikis-- so broad conclusions are not warranted.

That said, you did find one hanadama strand that you liked less than several Mikis, if I read you right. And that matters, because you only have the one strand, and you deserve to have a strand you absolutely love.

6x more, yikes! .
    Right??!! It's amazing the cost of the Mikis! So, best to keep in mind what is spent during this comparison.

Thank you for posting the certificate. Were these the regular (pinked) hanadamas, or the natural whites?
    These are the Natural Whites.

I suppose it might be even more interesting to see a number of hanadama strands compared with a number of Mikis. The sample size here was very small-- only 1 hanadama and 2 Mikis-- so broad conclusions are not warranted.
    You're right, I didn't intend to claim that this is ALL hanadamas and I would LOVE to do an experiment with a number of different pearl strands. Even at Mikimoto, they didn't provide a number of AA strands to select from, they just pulled one out that they thought matched best with the color. But having the expectation that hanadamas stand up to AAA Mikis -- I really thought the hanadamas would outshine.

I have been very happy with the customer service with the hanadamas and the return policy to be able to give a second strand a try. Unfortunately, I'm not close enough to a Mikimoto store to do a comparison, so I'm going to need to get creative.

That said, you did find one hanadama strand that you liked less than several Mikis, if I read you right. And that matters, because you only have the one strand, and you deserve to have a strand you absolutely love.
    Yes, and thankfully the company is agreeable to doing a swap to try again. I obviously feel awful about sending it back.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenMaia View Post
    I obviously feel awful about sending it back.
    Don't feel awful! The whole reason there is such a great return policy is that pearls need to be tried on, because people have such differing skin tones. But most of us don't have access to a wide selection of pearls anywhere near where we live-- and B&M prices are often out of sight anyway, even if it's not Mikimoto brand. So online is the way to go, for most of us.