Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Year of Jewelry

I have decided that 2018 is the Year of Jewelry for me. It will be the year I start getting some nice jewelry for myself (or letting hubby know what he can get me &#128521. Iím in my early 50s so itís time.

Before I buy my first pearl (itís going to be a WSS pendant), I have an aquamarine ring I want to reset. I was planning on a platinum setting, but now that Iím making a list of pearls I want, Iím wondering if white gold (half the price) is a better option.

Iíd love opinions on platinum vs white gold for rings. I know platinum is heavier and harder wearing, whereas white gold might need maintenance, etc. I guess Iím mostly questioning whether I should go for the platinum as originally planned before pearl fever or use the saved money to get my first pendant.

Thanks!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Sounds like a great plan! One thing to consider regarding platinum...it's currently trading at around $940 an ounce while gold is over $1300 per ounce. Platinum jewelry does require a certain amount of special skill, so generally the labor charges are higher. But it might be more comparable in price given the cost of gold. It would be worth it to ask if you do prefer platinum.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Platinum is a bit more difficult to work with and isn't as easily polished when scratched, which are a couple of reasons it isn't typically as preferred as white gold. The most commonly used is 14 karat, which is 58.5% gold. The caveat with white gold is the rhodium does wear. I typically get my white gold wedding band re-rhodium plated about once per year.

Thanks! I went to my local jeweler and asked about a particular setting from Stuller. I do not know anyone local who can custom design a setting. The platinum setting was quoted around $1200. The white gold around $600. Its a big difference.....

Yes, Iím aware of the rhodium plating. I kind of donít want to have to worry about replaying every so often, which is why I was leaning towards platinum. Itís a tough decision because I really want to get some pearls. 😍

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

If the setting you are looking at is from Stuller, they generally have metal options which include karat golds, platinum and palladium. Also, if you are doing a remount, the jeweler should offer you a credit for the old mounting if you no longer wish to keep it. They will offer you a scrap price for it, but sometimes they do deal. For instance, one local jeweler here offers a 20% premium if you take the payment as a store credit. Just something to keep in mind.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Platinum is less expensive than gold right now. I happen to like Palladium a lot, too.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Just a thought~rhodium plating on a ring worn daily will likely wear off much faster than on a pendant.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Thanks for all the things to consider. Iím not sure what Iíll do yet.....

Hi LittleRed, Will this ring be worn everyday or just occasionally?

It will be worn occasionally.

Iím still teetering back and forth on this. Iím just so eager to get some pearls with the money saved with white gold, but I also want to get exactly what I want and not settle.

That being said, Iím currently leaning towards white gold because Iíve seen a lot of lovely jewelry set in white gold on another forum I found.

Occasional wear is probably best with an aqua.

Many of my gemstone rings are 14 or 18 karat gold. I don't often need to re-plate my occasional wear rings. Frankly, I don't mind the look of my 18 karate band when the rhodium wears off. It doesn't get that very slight yellowish look I think 14 karat can get without plating.

However, I am a fan of symmetry so I plate it annually since I like it to match my occasional wear right hand rings.

Thanks! Iím starting to feel good about choosing white gold for my aqua ring. That means pearls sooner rather than later. 😃

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

Platinum kind of has a different look than white gold, in my opinion. The color is a little bit different, and over time it develops a certain - not sure what to call it, I've seen people refer to it as patina but it isn't color, it's sort of a matte finish as it gets slightly scratched over time?

I think it's a matter of preference. If you want white metal and all other factors are the same to you, white gold is a great option. And as pattye said, you won't have to re-plate a pendant as much as a ring. And honestly rings don't always need it that often either, depending on the alloy the jeweler uses and how your skin reacts with the rhodium. I have friends who wear through rhodium plating on rings within weeks, whereas I've been wearing my wedding ring for 10 years and I've only had it re-rhodiumed once or twice. It gets a slightly warmer tone eventually, but also, depending on your preference you might like that. I've had jewelry made in unplated white gold on purpose because that buttery color can be gorgeous.
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Platinum is a different colour to WG and something to consider with a coloured stone. Somewhere I thought we had a great photo of all the different shades of metals next to each other. Battah is quite right in that Platinum takes on a slightly more 'grey' (for lack of a better description) patina over time. I think if you had something plated and you know the jeweler then I'd ask how many microns of plating they use.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...miEVDyJm7AgBM: