Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow! Quite a collection. I only own one necklace of 5-6mm Freshwater, given to me by my parents when I was young. Just recently started to wear it more and thought, Pearls, why do I not wear more of those? They are so special. I love the warmth, amd that they are organic, somehow. So now I am heading down a very deep rabbit hole, it seems.
    Last edited by LeFaye; 12-16-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

It's an amazing thing that a humble mollusk can produce such beauty. They are bewitching.

I am particularly fond of baroque and circlé pearls. The irregular deposition of nacre produces lovely orient, and baroque Tahitians can be very colorful. I also find baroque shapes more interesting than round pearls. If you think about it, baroque shapes are also closer to the shapes of natural pearls. Baroques have the added advantage of being a lot more affordable than round pearls.

I started down the rabbit hole as a small child who, after standing in line to talk to "Santa" at a local park kids' event, was given a strand of fake pearls. My first real ones were freshwater baroques given to me by my mother for Christmas 1980. I was 25.

I don’t know anything about those. I am going to concentrate on round for now. Maybe in some nice colours and different sizes.

You can't go wrong with classic round pearls!

Having said that I was browsing POJ and they have something called Soufflé pearls? Horrible shape but the orients are amazing. Is that a thing? Are they a reputable vendor? I am new to this and do not know who to buy from, except that I should avoid like the plague anyone who uses AAAA or other non industry grading. That is just a con, imo.
    Last edited by LeFaye; 12-16-2017 at 09:02 PM.

They are reputable...full disclosure, the owners of Pearl Paradise and Pearls of Joy own this forum. They are committed to people being educated about pearls.

Souffle pearls are hollow inside! Large and lightweight! Many people love the shapes. It's all a matter of taste.

By the way, you might like to take the CPAA Pearlsasone course-- there is a code to take it free. (I'm not sure the current free code. I'll try to find it.)

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sho...ication-Course
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 12-17-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Ahh no wonder people mention PP so much. Lol. I think I even saw the founder on here. But as long as people are happy with their purchases I guess everything is fine. I need to know I buy good quality, as returning from the UK is impossible. And I have already had to return something to a vendor here. The quality was very poor, lots of blemishes. So now I am being extra careful.

Another excellent vendor is Pure Pearls (Ashley McNamara). I got my white south sea pearls from her.

Let's see...some other trusted vendors off the top of my head-- many of whom are members of Pearl-Guide-- include Kojima Pearls (Sarah Canizzaro), Kamoka Pearls /Josh Humbert (I have a pendant and studs from him), Catherine Cardellini Pearls in Australia (I have metallic white fwp dangles from her), Cees Van Oije of Amsterdam Pearls Ltd (I got my golden SSP from him), eBay seller druzydesign /Carolyn Ehret (I have many items from her), some Chinese sellers on Etsy (Wen Pearls and KongsPearl), José at tahitianpearls.biz, and we also have Pearl-Guide members with links under their posts to their Etsy shops. An eBay seller many have bought from is Agustus-Collection.

There are more of course, but those are the ones that came to mind right away.

Would anyone here know of good UK based vendors?

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Hi there ! Welcome! As for UK , our own Wendy, a long time member, at Pearlescence is in the UK , that makes your shopping a bit easier . Send her a message. Good luck ! Lots of pearls to look at now !

Thank you, Katbran. I think I better not look at any more, tbh. I just browsed the whole Freshadama collection and now I want everything.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I second Wendy from Pearlescence. She chooses her pearls carefully in Hong Kong herself and is a long standing member here on the forum. Not having to pay duties and taxes can be a plus, for sure.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by LeFaye View Post
    Would anyone here know of good UK based vendors?
    I just bought a freshwater pink/lavender necklace from Pearlescence, and I love it. The pictures on her website just don't do the pearls any justice.

However, PP does have more choices of everything. If you are not in a hurry, I suggest making purchase after PP finish their trip to HK. They may have even more options then.

If you are interested in buying a single South Sea/Tahitian pendant, e-bay seller druzydesign is my favorite in terms of price and quality.

Thank you Arialla. That is good to know.