Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hi, I am new and need some help, please.

Hi all.
    I have just joined today after reading the forums and discusdions for a couple of weeks. I am in the process of buying my first proper strand of pearls and have decided on size, lenght and vendor. I am going to go with PP, as they seem to get a lot of love around here. I have two questions. Are the AAA Freshwater significantly lower quality than the Freshadama? And how do you choose the overtone? A lot of people post pictures here of White Freshadama with different overtones, but I can see no description or option to choose overtone on their website. Is it just luck? I would really like some advice with this, as returning is not an option for me. I need to be certain to get the right strand for what I want. Thanks.
    Last edited by LeFaye; 12-16-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Hi LeFaye--welcome to Pearl-Guide!

Freshadama strands are made up from "loose grade" pearls that would normally not be drilled for strands, but would be used for earrings, pendants and rings. They are better pearls-- rounder and with higher luster than AAA. Side by side there would be a visible difference-- but AAA is still very good.
    My usual advice about pearls is to get the best quality your budget allows, especially where luster is concerned. Pearls are all about luster, after all.

You could ask for a side by side photo of a AAA strand and a Freshadama strand to help you decide.

As to overtones, think about what undertones your skin has. Do you want the pearls to match your skin tone more or stand out from your skin more? I have pink undertones to my skin and bought silver rose overtone Freshadamas, but as a result they don't pop against my skin; I probably ought to have gotten silver overtone pearls, which would have looked whiter on my neck.

Again, you could ask for a side by side photo of several strands with different overtones and choose the one you like best.

When ordering you can ask specifically for a certain overtone-- there is a Comments box.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 12-16-2017 at 05:02 AM. Reason: typo

Hi Pearl Dreams. Thanks for the reply. I am currently thinking either White Freshadama with silver overtones or Metallic White Freshadama, since I saw the pics of your amazing Metallic studs. They are stunning. PP are currently out of Metallics, but expect them back in stock in January.
    Last edited by LeFaye; 12-16-2017 at 10:09 AM.

The metallic whites are amazing, and relatively few and far between. I see one AA+ strand on PP right now: https://www.pearlparadise.com/produc...arl-necklace-1

If roundness is very important to you, you might to go with Freshadamas; the metallic whites tend to be more off-round.

I decided to bite the bullet. I bought a pair of AAA metallic white studs. I should be safe with those, they are not too expensive and it should give me an idea of the colour. Your collection is amazing, Pearl Dreams. I am green with envy.
    Last edited by LeFaye; 12-16-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

You should be very happy with the metallics. Now you have the wait...
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Oh yes, you will love the studs! Great choice.

Thank you for your compliments! I'm genuinely happy with what I already have-- which is a good thing, because I just paid my daughter's college for her final semester's room and board (ouch!)

I think you will find that your collection will grow with time, as mine did...pearls are addictive.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

You also do need to think about how important ROUND is to you. Not all of those strands are round .. so you need to tell them that you want a round one and get some photos of whatever you are interested in..inside and outside.

I'm sure you will love the earrings !

Katbran, thank you for your thoughts. I am not sure that round is that important to me, really, as long as they look round when worn. I want luster and I also want to see a proper orient. I often think those perfectly round Akoyas look a bit fake.

Haha, yes, I can see that it might be addictive, Pearl Dreams. I am already thinking I want some Peach coloured, and some Champagne coloured, and maybe some Lavender ones and some Tahitians...... it is going to be an expensive business. Lol.
    Last edited by LeFaye; 12-16-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Please post photos when you get them!

I will. But I will have to do this slowly and save up, first. I cannot wait for my studs, now. It will be 2-3 weeks.

It's good not to be in too much of a rush anyway. It takes time and experience to learn which shapes/sizes/colors of pearls appeal to you the most, and which don't flatter or excite you.

You don't want to spend your hard-earned money on items that will just sit there in your drawer. I think many of us have pearls we bought early on that we no longer wear much.

Ah, you are online. Nice to meet you. I am in the UK, so different time zone to you. I really like all the pics you posted. Do you just buy Freshwater or do you have Akoya, too?

I have a lot of different pearls at this point-- assorted freshwaters, akoyas, Tahitians, white south sea, golden south sea, and a Fijian pearl. And a pair of mabe studs that are probably Pteria penguin. Photos of most of these are somewhere on this site.

But there are lots of other pearls out there I do not own, from Sea of Cortez to abalone to conch and others. I'm not sure I will try to acquire any of those. I'll be 62 soon, hubby is 71, retirement looms and the kitchen needs redoing.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 12-16-2017 at 05:51 PM.