Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I think they look like real opals. I think the majority of the price of the necklace is in the clasp.

The knots look tight and clean, but the pearls look a little dirty. Give them a gentle wash in filtered water and plain soap. Put a washcloth in the bottom of the sink so you don't bang them around. Rinse in clean water. Roll them in a clean towel and leave them. When the towel is dry, the silk they are strung on should be dry, too. If you try to hang them before they are fully dry, the thread might stretch. I think they will look great with a gentle cleaning.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

The pearls will look better after a bath!

Regarding washing them, I suggest using bottled or filtered water to avoid chlorine and the hard water minerals that might interact with the soap to make a very hard-to-remove scum.

Our well water is hard -- we can't use soap, not even to wash hands. We can only use detergent-based cleansers.

I agree that most of the value is in the clasp, but I think they are akoyas.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Also something to think about..because of the age guessed these are likely Australian opals - I can't 100% tell from the pictures but I wouldn't leave them soaking in water at all while cleaning the pearls since that could damage a doublet or triplet opal. If they're all solid opal, soaking in water won't hurt but just in case
    You can never be too dressed-up.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

At least one opal surface look grainy, It can be an indication that stones have been in water shortage: opals need moisture, like pearls. Dryness destroys them. So, a bath will be also the best for them, a long bath.

Quote Originally Posted by lary007 View Post
    Also something to think about..because of the age guessed these are likely Australian opals - I can't 100% tell from the pictures but I wouldn't leave them soaking in water at all while cleaning the pearls since that could damage a doublet or triplet opal. If they're all solid opal, soaking in water won't hurt but just in case
    Interesting point of view: theorically, doublet or triplet have not transparent back, it's difficult to see that on photos, but I think that if they are worked as this, they would have more homogeneous irisdescent effect, but they look different among them.
    Last edited by ericw; 12-09-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

The pearls can be soaked in a small bowl with the clasp draped over the edge, to play it safe.

Borders of stones are apparent: with a strong magnifying glass, it would be possible to see bonding of layers, in case of a doublet.

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Akoyas, The clasp I reckon are “jelly opals” (Australian Coober Pedy).