Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Default Pearl Harbor Day

Today is Pearl Harbor Day. Does anyone know where it got it's name. Not the day, the harbor.

I was only able to find this little bit of info on my Google search:

Called Pu'uloa, meaning "long hill," or Wai Momi, literally, "water of pearl," by early Hawaiians, Pearl Harbor, so named because of the abundance of pearls once found within its protected waters, is the largest natural harbor in the State of Hawaii and the number one visitor destination on Oahu.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Thank you for this interesting information, BWeaves, and for the lesson of history, that any paradise can turn in hell, in an instant.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Good question, BWeaves. I'll ask around today to see if any of the vets I know have any insight

http://www.karipearls.com/pearl-harbor-pearls.html

I found this info about Pearl Harbor on Kari Pearls website. I don't know if I can post the link, but it is very interesting about the history of the limited natural pearl trade in Hawaii in the 19th and very early 20th century.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Thanks for all the good info everyone !

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Thank you. That was a very interesting article. I don't know why I didn't think of looking on Kari Pearls website. I do go there occasionally to ogle natural pearls.