Default Freshwater rice pearls

Hello,
    I am really liking this strand of freshwater rice pearls. They are quite a long strand and it can go around my necj three times to make a choker. The maker has only knotted every five or six....but my gemmologist friend thinks it should be knotted each one. What do you guys think. This is quite amlong strand and i can wear it long, or double or triple strand. The lustre is quite good....and i have wanted a long strand of tiny pearls for quite some time. We think for Longevity of the pearls we should have it knotted every pearl. So as to prevent it rubbing. Name:  20171124_170655.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  80.5 KBName:  20171124_170558.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  77.6 KB

Thank you

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

They look very pretty just the way they are.

If you restring them, knotting between each pearl, the necklace will be longer. Knots are about 0.3mm-0.4mm each in width. If you count how many additional knots you would be adding, and multiply by 0.3 (and 0.4) you will get an idea of the range of how much longer the necklace could become.
    There will also be a difference in the appearance-- they will look less continuous. But the necklace will be a bit more flexible.

I have some pearl necklaces that are not knotted between the individual pearls and the pearls have held up just fine-- no deterioration.

The other main reason for knotting is to protect the necklace from being lost if the thread breaks. However, I think this is more important with high value pearls (which would be very costly to replace) , and with pearls strung on silk. Synthetic threads are strong, do not absorb oils or water, and unlikely to break.

Even if the necklace is strung on silk, as long as you restring every year or so (if you wear them a lot), there should not be breakage. Signs that it's time to restring include gaps between the pearls (silk stretched out, got weak), dirty looking knots, frayed, fuzzy looking knots.

Hi Pearl Dream, yes i have been told that knotting will increase the length abit more..so some pearls may have to be taken out to still keep the same length. There are maybe 3-4 pearls that i thought the lustre does not match the rest of the pearls, so those can be taken out i suppose...thank you for your input, i will have a think....

A knot between 2 small pearls is more noticeable than a knot between 2 larger pearls.
    It's not always a good look.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I would leave it. As PD says..the knots become much more noticeable on smaller pearls. I think it's perfectly fine and very pretty the way it is.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I vote for leaving it as is. Even little h only knots between every 5th pearl for her small pearl necklaces.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lugana's Avatar

I string small pearls on wire or (in case of the smallest) on titanium cord. It's maintenance-free and long necklaces/ multiple strands don't get tangled as much

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I also vote for wearing the pearls as they are for now! Lovely luster and you look so pretty in them! Watch for signs of thread stretching or wear, then you can decide if you need the rope a little longer or want to add knots between each pearl.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I agree and vote to leave them as is. They look very pretty & delicate on your neck. Sometimes knotting between every pearl (with tiny pearls) has a tendency to overpower and distract from the look. Also you may not want to lengthen the strand with the addition of more knots. And as Pattey said, you can always change it up at a later date if the thread starts to wear.

Hello all, thank you for your feedback so far. One more question, The maker has strung them a little too tight...so do you all think it could cause rubbing between each pearl? But i guess silk thread can loosen over time....i intend to wear these a lot....i think its very versatile....so i am quite in love with them.hehehe

It's pretty common to string tightly because, as you said, silk stretches. I wouldn't worry about it.