Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

I appreciate the great background and info, Jeremy. Thanks much.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LiliasTreasures

Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Perhaps others who live in other jurisdictions could contribute on their legal retail regimes- useful info

The essential difference in thinking between the American and EU regulatory regimes are that (mostly but not always) things are not banned unless they are definitely harmful. In the EU things are banned unless it can be demonstrated that they are safe.
    This means that - for a non-pearl example which surprised even me - in the EU McDonalds fries have potato, oil and salt. In America i think it is 19 additives including milk powder. A few moments on google might surprise.

I think a 3.8mm pearl should be described as a 3.8mm pearl. It's not rocket science. I find it sad that some people seem to need to play with the facts to do business. Business is based on trust.

Exactly. I agree LondonPearl
    Clear information means fewer returns too

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I think a lot of it comes down to how many decimal places do you go out to, before it becomes meaningless to the consumer? And how do you round? And what if it's a strand of pearls compared to a single pearl?

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Using the 3.8 mm analogy, if the pearl was 3.89 and it was only measured withing 1/10th of a millimeter, then the pearl would measure 3.8 and not 3.9 - rounded down.

Describing strands in a range is not an issue unless the strand does not have pearls completely within that range. Anytime you see someone calling a strand of freshwater pearls 7-8 mm, for example, they are most likely cheating on the size.
    Last edited by jshepherd; 12-09-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Rounding down 3.89 to 3.8 is an operation which would be unique to the pearl industry. All of science and mathematics would round it up.

My real bug bear remains "Chinese size" 9-10mm which is, at best 8.5-9.5mm. Many companies will then sell this item as a 9-10mm strand or even as a 10mm strand. It simply is not. This is not a measurement rounding issue. It is deception pure and simple.

LP See my post 17 in this thread for the problems it can cause!
    It is however, one way discerning shoppers can tell who actually goes to the wholesalers up the chain (ie as near as possible to farm/factory)to buy and who just sends an order to some nameless website.Even some HK wholesalers are better than others at measuring. One very -very - well known one on here had its calipers calibrated to measure 0.5mm larger and really got annoyed when I brought out mine to use. I just don't shop with them any more. Their stand was noticeably quiet at the last show because many are getting fed up with their airs and attitude, as well as their absurdly high prices

Pearlescence .... Name and shame!! I regularly exhibit in Hong Kong and I long for a level playing field......