Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thank you for sharing! That necklace looks stunning! Also thank you so much for mentioning the sources where you get these gems!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

I bought Perl’s on a wire back in 1999. It was an illusion necklace. When I tried to remove the pearls and use them for another necklace I found I could not get them off. Were they glued? How did the person do that.? The wire was .018. ,

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Yes, the pearls would have been glued. Well, not sure what you mean by "how did the person do that?" But there are glue tubes with very fine tips. I'd certainly make a gluey mess of something like that!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lady_Disdain's Avatar

First, you need wire that is as close as possible to the diameter of the hole, so the glue isn't filling gaps. Then, put the tiniest dab of glue on the wire where pearl will be and slide the pearl over it. The glue should be placed at the furthest end, so the entire pearl slides over it. This spreads the glue all over the inside of the pearl and the wire, holding it. Someone once told me to use a tiny dab of epoxy and a tiny dab of super glue - the super glue dries straight away and holds the pearl in place while the stronger epoxy cures. I haven't done this but I am very careful to work on a beading board and have the pearl supported as soon as it is slid over the glue, so it won't move.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Disdain View Post
    First, you need wire that is as close as possible to the diameter of the hole, so the glue isn't filling gaps. Then, put the tiniest dab of glue on the wire where pearl will be and slide the pearl over it. The glue should be placed at the furthest end, so the entire pearl slides over it. This spreads the glue all over the inside of the pearl and the wire, holding it. Someone once told me to use a tiny dab of epoxy and a tiny dab of super glue - the super glue dries straight away and holds the pearl in place while the stronger epoxy cures. I haven't done this but I am very careful to work on a beading board and have the pearl supported as soon as it is slid over the glue, so it won't move.
    Fantastic tip LadyD!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove