Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mixing Pearls With Other Stones

I adore pearls but I'm getting bored of just knotting them on their own.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which stones go well with pearls?

Also, how do you deal with the hole size discrepancy? Almost all pearls have small holes, most stones do not.

And, do you put them on silk/nylon? Won't heavy beads weigh down pearl knotting silk?

Thanks! I am new to this.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

I don't make necklaces or straps myself, but I think the first you must consider is that many stones are harder than pearls, so, rub between them can damage pearls if you don't put any spacers, even small. That particularly if the hole of stones is larger than the one of pearls, then, rub is important. That's a technical note, for the rest, there is a team of experts, here

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Check out Beadalon products for coated beading wire and silicone bumpers.

Silicone bumpers come in different colors and sizes and protect the pearls from rubbing against each other or against stones.
    Some people use metal beads as spacers, but they can leave tarnish on the pearls.
    https://www.beadalon.com/products/beadbumper.asp

Beading wire is good for use with stones. The rough edges of the stones at the drill holes can cut right through thread.
    It comes in different gauges/thicknesses. You may need very fine wire for your beads.

Buy the highest-ply wire you can in the size you need-- the higher the ply, the more flexible. Beadalon wire 49 ply is very flexible but may be too thick for the drill holes in your beads. I have used Soft Touch (by Soft Flex) for very small holes-- fine gauge and very flexible.

You will need crimps to attach the wire to the clasp. I like using Twisted Tornado crimps-- use regular pliers to flatten them, not a crimping tool. They are attractive and very secure and come in various metals. If using fine wire be sure to use the smaller size crimps.

Fire Mountain Gems carries many of these products. Also Amazon, Beadalon, Rio Grande, Artbeads.com, etc.

As to stones-- the sky is the limit. Use whatever gemstones you like!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

The drill holes do vary in stones..even in the same strand. Obviously the smaller the beads the smaller the holes. Anything under 3mm can be very difficult and PD is quite right in that very fine 49 strand wire is about the only safe way to string them. PD has excellent advise and I don't have anything to add to it

"Beading wire is good for use with stones. The rough edges of the stones at the drill holes can cut right through thread. "

I thought that the Pearl Police said that we shouldn't use beading wire with pearls. Tell me it's not so, I feel so liberated!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianamoon View Post
    "Beading wire is good for use with stones. The rough edges of the stones at the drill holes can cut right through thread. "

I thought that the Pearl Police said that we shouldn't use beading wire with pearls. Tell me it's not so, I feel so liberated!
    My GSS are strung on wire with silicone bumpers in between. The bumpers keep the wire centered so it's not rubbing against the edge of the pearls' drill hole.

What's GSS?

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Well, there are many of us who mix gemstones and pearls together, knotted on thread. Here are beautiful combos from Jersey Pearl, for example. Of course, one has to evaluate the beads to see if the drill holes are sharp or snaggy. Many of the smaller roundel gemstone beads have drill holes that aren't too different from the size of the pearl hole. The 2 mm black spinel I've been working with have approx .50 mm holes and Beader's Secret works well with that size.

Other designers, Margo Morrison, put gemstones and pearls on nylon thread. And on silk.

It's good to experiment. Then there are times when wire is the safest.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

GSS=golden South Sea pearls

Beading wire is coated so the wire isn't directly against the pearls or gems.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Thanks for the shoutout, pattye!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Which are the best vendors for small hole gem stones, or is this not allowed on Pearl Guide? (ads, etc.)

What about putting metal beads in between? Not allowed because of the abrasion factor? I've seen pics on Pearl Guide of this but the posts are years old and the participants have dropped out otherwise I'd ask them.

You can use metal beads but you may get tarnish on your pearls.
    People are free to recommend the vendors they buy their gemstones from.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I have not had luck with some of the things I bought years ago with metal beads between the pearls. The silver tarnishes and is a real pain to clean , gold is fine but you do end up with tarnish on the pearls. All my pearls had black on them where the beads touched.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I was warned years ago not to put gold beads next to pearls because they would blacken the pearls. I think it was in one of Rene Newman's pearl books. Real high karat gold is different. Real gold will not tarnish, and my pearls with real gold beads are just fine. However, gold colored beads will tarnish and blacken pearls. Silver also may tarnish unless it is argentium silver and plated with rhodium, and then it should not tarnish.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-21-2017 at 07:38 PM.