Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi Pareltje & Pattye! Thank you for your feedback and advice. It is hard to find GSSP in my neighborhood, so I think I will need to go to a bigger city and see if Tiffany may carry inventory. I really love the Golden color pearls as I think it will look great with the accessories I already have. I do like the baroque as my clothes are more casual and I can wear the strand more often. With Goldens I think I would like the luster to be my priority, but color/overtones also plays a part too, so hard to know, unless trying them on and seeing what works. I will take my time as this will be a big purchase. Do you see rose, green, overtones in the strands you purchased? I see those colors on the earrings/single pearls in your pictures and that helps me know what overtones may be seen in the strands.

-8mm
    Last edited by 8mm; 11-09-2017 at 04:41 AM. Reason: wanted to add more info

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

8 mm My experience, limited as it is with GSS, is that Green overtones are the more common and the pink less so. It's good to try a range of colours as they don't always suit... I can't wear them at all.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

8mm, I really agree with Katbran. It is better for you to try different array of colors and overtones first to see what looks best on your skin. I've tried different shades of gold and finally I found that the darkest gold with green overtone looks best for my complexion.
    I've seen strands which are just gold, with gold overtone and they are the most common. I've seen a few gold with green overtone and never seen a strand with rose overtone, only single pearls. When the rose is so strong the pearl looks peachy.

What beauties. Your new strand is a stunning addition to an already gorgeous collection.

Thanks for your sweet words, piper.

Wow. I think I just stumbled across heaven in a forum thread.

Those are amazing
    UK resident
    CPAA pearl diploma
    Photographer
    Pearl Admirer

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

All this talk of goldens inspired me to restring my GSS necklace, which was too short. These don't have strong overtones, but are more greenish. I added GSS keshi across the front. Pearls are 15 mm-12 mm. Obviously, I'm willing to trade higher luster for size and more blemishes. Bracelet displays a range of GSS colors and is up for restringing next. (I bought these about 15 years ago from Druzy Design.)

Finding a store with GSS in stock so you can try on may be difficult, but I hope that will be possible.

Name:  P1020289.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  75.9 KB
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    All this talk of goldens inspired me to restring my GSS necklace, which was too short. These don't have strong overtones, but are more greenish. I added GSS keshi across the front. Pearls are 15 mm-12 mm. Obviously, I'm willing to trade higher luster for size and more blemishes. Bracelet displays a range of GSS colors and is up for restringing next. (I bought these about 15 years ago from Druzy Design.)

Finding a store with GSS in stock so you can try on may be difficult, but I hope that will be possible.

Name:  P1020289.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  75.9 KB
    Pattye, those are wonderful GSSPs. I love the way you string them. This gives me an idea when I decide to restring my GSSP necklace from PP for another style. Please keep the golds coming!

I missed your comment, Haylea23. Thanks for your sweet compliment.
    Last edited by Pareltje; 11-09-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Wow!! So many beautiful GSS pearls!!

Thanks Katbran and Pareltje for the advice...I'm taking notes! I do have more questions and wanted to find out which of the characteristics in selecting a strand should I be on the lookout for? Ok, besides price, which would you prioritize? Grade of Pearls? Luster? Shape? (Drop, near round, round baroque) Color? I understand the rounder the Pearl, grade and larger the diameter, the cost increases. Does grade of the Pearl mean luster and blemishes on the nacre? And do you know if one pays more for rose overtones versus green or gold? Appreciate all the help!
    -8mm
    Last edited by 8mm; 11-09-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Thank you Pattye for posting your beautiful GSSP! I want to know what you would prioritize on selecting a strand of Goldens! Would it be size, luster, grade shape (baroque- round), price, what??? Suggestions anyone?

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Pattye, I love your re-do!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Pattye, I love what you did with those!

Here is a picture of mine, and my thread about them:
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sho...-SSP-from-Cees

Ashley McNamara (PurePearls.com) wrote some great information about GSS pearls.
    This is about overtones (scroll down): https://www.purepearls.com/pearl-jewelry-overtones.html
    guide for retailers selling GSS: http://www.jewellerynetasia.com/en-u...tailer-s-guide

A few years ago when I tried a strand on at a high end jeweler, the saleswoman took one look and said that was not my color! One look in the mirror showed me she was right. For a long time after that I thought all GSS would look bad on me. But really I just needed to find the right tone. Darker and with gold/rose overtones seems to work for me. As I recall, the strand I had tried on was a lighter gold and had greenish overtones.

8mm, you asked what we would prioritize in buying GSS. Normally for pearls I'd say go for luster first, but that isn't how I chose my strand. I fell in love with a specific strand for its overall look. Maybe the shapes and colors were what grabbed me most. I saw it, and I wanted it.

There are not a huge number of GSS strands out there, and it's unusual to find one to try on in a brick and mortar store. I never saw one at any Tiffany in CT. (Maybe in NYC?)

I think my advice would be: Take your time. Look at strands online, or ask vendors for photos, and see if you can figure out what characteristics appeal to you and which ones you don't like so much.
    Don't buy a strand until it really grabs you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 11-16-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Thank you for posting Pearl Dreams and the links! I appreciate all the suggestions and help. Those are outstanding pearls! Very nice and love the studs you had made with your loose pearls.

BTW, if you purchased from Cees, you didn't get to look at them in person? Did he send you pictures or videos of these pearls?

I saw his IG pictures and wanted to reach out if he had any GSSP strands available to look at. Did you contact/message him through FB? Is that the best way to reach out?

-8mm
    Last edited by 8mm; 11-10-2017 at 03:16 AM. Reason: more questions

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

8mm,

You're asking good questions! Figuring out the shapes you like will be helpful whether you are buying GSS, white SS, or Tahitians. Some prefer only light rings, some no rings at all. Number of blemishes and luster do make a difference in grade, but not all strands are graded and each seller sets their own grading standard. That's why it's so important to see good photos of the exact strands one is considering. Of the GSS I've seen, overtones are more subtle than in Tahitians, for example.

One way to check color on one's self is to use draping. Perhaps visit a fabric store with a friend and get some feedback about what golden shades work with your complexion. I do admit I purchase and wear what appeals to me as an older woman with less importance as to whether it "looks good." Somehow that's never been a top criteria for pearl jewelry. Probably I fall more in the "collector" category. (Have always preferred large, even when I was a teen, and much smaller person!) As a single woman purchasing for myself, budget always counts!

GSS keshi do come along every so often, and generally keshi have great luster, and can be less expensive than a traditional strand. Also they will be a bit smaller and lighter in weight. They go nicely from casual to formal and are wonderfully unique, so I was thinking they might appeal to you more than a traditional strand.

Pareltje, JP, PD and all, thank you so much for your nice comments. If I hadn't liked the look with keshi, I'd have gone with some variety of golden gemstone roundel as spacers, either Oregon Sunstone or citrine or ??

PD, I do love your GSS on you, and hope to see them in person one of these Ruckuses!
    Last edited by pattye; 11-10-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----