Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I will add this: I think it's best to fund the PayPal payment with a credit card, as opposed to PayPal balance or checking account. It gives you another layer of protection to get your money back.

Because funds in your PayPal account will per force be used first, this is one reason why my husband and I would use "Friends and Family" option to send money to each other-- to bring our PayPal account down to $0 before making a purchase.
    Yes, definitely. A credit card is always good for added protection.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    If buying from anyone in the EU you are covered by EU law on selling over the internet (no quibble returns for full refund)
    Wendy, I have a question re: EU sales...are items that are "on sale" covered by the return policies? Or are they exceptions?
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

A seller with integrity wants the buyer to be protected also. Handling transactions in a professional manner creates trust. Paypal fees are reasonable enough and sending an invoice is simple.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Everything sold, no matter what the situation. So sale items def covered. Only exceptions are things like knickers and earrings - intimate wear stuff or stuff made especially for a commission
    By the way, I only mentioned TTs to make the point that for the buyer paypal is free. TTs cost

Everything sold, no matter what the situation. So sale items def covered. Only exceptions are things like knickers and earrings - intimate wear stuff or stuff made especially for a commission
    By the way, I only mentioned TTs to make the point that for the buyer paypal is free. TTs cost
    Thank you, Wendy. And what is the period covered for the refund? Within 14 days?

Thanks so much!

Here you go, this is the law
    https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distan...for-businesses
    I see many websites breaking the law so it's a useful checklist.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Thanks Wendy ! Certainly the buyer is well protected in the EU !

This has been immensely helpful. My daughter is living in London and I was going to order her some linens on-line but was unsure if they were returnable. This has put my mind at ease! I love PG...you guys know EVERYTHING!!!

The contract has to be formed under the law of an EU member state..so where is the linen company?
    (yes Pattye, we certainly are. For example, if a plane which starts or ends its journey in the EU then EU citizens can claim compensation for delays. It has eliminated those days of sleeping at the airport as airlines treat passengers badly)(and we're leaving...don't get me started)

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Wendy is correct. Passengers get compensation when their plane is delayed in EU. We had an experience that our plane was delayed for more than 6 hours because of technical problems. We got the maximum compensation but we did have to fight for it!

While Pearlescence is correct in the fact that these laws do exist. Not all online sellers abide by them. If you get an unscrupulous seller and you have not used either paypal, credit card or something with good buyer protection like these, then getting your money back can be difficult. You may even have to take it to civil court. Whilst you would obviously, due to the laws, win your case, it's a lot of drama that could have been avoided.

Better to avoid the suspect ones. I find checking for that land address is usually a big give away. Plus paypal only instead of card (paypal can be set up in minutes, if you want a merchant card handling account you have to go through a massive investigative process). Plus, of course, anyone selling any precious metals in the UK should be complying with the requirements of the Hallmarking Acts

I'm sorry, I tend to disagree.
    PayPal using goods covers not just the buyer but the seller too.
    I have been using PayPal for over 10 years & it has saved me being ripped off on both sides of the coin.
    Bank transfer & all merchant cards are vulnerable to online fraud but PayPal is the only one that covers you as a seller no matter how large or small the amount has been spent. Merchant cards only cover you for over 75 spent & that is down to their discretion.
    PayPal are now offering their own credit card, card reader for businesses etc etc. I know plenty of people that use them, doesn't mean that they are any less credible than the major banks or cards!
    Nothing much will change after March 2019, in fact, looking at it now, my imports from the US & beyond will probably have lower customs charges, if at all, thanks to being able to have trade deals of our own with the rest of the world & at least we won't be at the back of the queue like we were told during the referendum!