Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Thanks Eric. .. it’s the beginning of a road . Now that it’s more established I’m going to work in the pearls and phase out other items. Thanks for posting the drawing. I must be a bit thick ..I’m still not getting it . Do you think the whole pearl is fake or just the protruding bit ?

First-graft Pearl Senior Member ericw's Avatar

Katbran, it's seems that this pearl is true, deep nacre is right for a tahitian pearl, thickness so, but protuding don't look like layouts described by gemological studies (See Pearl Dreams link's sharing). I should had found two beads, or a thick conchyoline (or hollow) part back of protuding, but nothing of that. It's really as if something had forced pearl's growing between an artificial passage, as we can see trees growing between rocks. Really, I don't understand, just I think that it's a special process, maybe to turn pearl or an other effect, I don't know.
    Edit : after searching on engines, these marks let me think to use of chirurgical spring clips....?

A question to our experts : During insertion of a bead in the oyster, does the operator use any means to close up the incision he has made in oyster's pearl bag ? A means as a chirurgical spring clip, for exemple ?

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericw View Post
    Katbran, it's seems that this pearl is true, deep nacre is right for a tahitian pearl, thickness so, but protuding don't look like layouts described by gemological studies (See Pearl Dreams link's sharing). I should had found two beads, or a thick conchyoline (or hollow) part back of protuding, but nothing of that. It's really as if something had forced pearl's growing between an artificial passage, as we can see trees growing between rocks. Really, I don't understand, just I think that it's a special process, maybe to turn pearl or an other effect, I don't know.
    Edit : after searching on engines, these marks let me think to use of chirurgical spring clips....?
    Looks like a normal drop tahitian to me, flaws bumps and all

Pearlescence, I'm sorry to ask questions nobody did before, apparently... This shape is not natural. Add to be creative, I have a technician mind, also observing any natural shapes since a long time, and if customers want to keep thinking that these pearl shapes are natural, free them, but not me.

I have a reasonably open mind and, given some evidence would admit wrong, but on this...I've handled thousands of pearls just like this one, on down to the 'pokemon pearls' with lots of bumps and lumps. It is true rounds which are the rarity and exception. pearls with lumps and bumps and pimples are by far the most common.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericw View Post
    A question to our experts : During insertion of a bead in the oyster, does the operator use any means to close up the incision he has made in oyster's pearl bag ? A means as a chirurgical spring clip, for exemple ?
    I've seen videos of the process and have not seen any attempt to close the incision, nor is any such procedure mentioned in any of the books I own on pearls. I am convinced the odd shapes are natural.

Consider that sometimes the bead nucleus is expelled by the oyster. This could not occur if the incision were closed.

Yes, Pearlescence, a perfect round pearl is a miracle! Pearl Dreams, as it's known that oyster can expelled the bead, I shouldn't surprised that some operators try to close the pearl bag, also because this incision makes often deformed pearls, that is even used to produce flameballs and other interesting baroque shapes. You speak about videos and books, but to produce pearls is a full secret manner's work, that farmers keep covert carefully. Question : have you ever seen other kinds of saltwater oysters'pearls, against tahitian, to show these particular marks, so much sharp ? And I don't speak from freshwater mussels pearls, wich never look like that.

Yes...south sea and akoyas here

Your pearl really isn't anything other than a routine Tahitian.

Thank you Pearlescence, I didn't see any of those.
    My subject is not to tell that this tahitian pearl is routine or not (searching about them, I have seen a lot myself, on webstores), just I say that routine is not made by a natural process, like tokki pearls.
    But I don't want to annoy anyone, also.

Why would any pearl farmer deliberately avoid a potential round pearl to ensure a low value baroque drop?

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

I'm going to agree with Pearlescence here. This type of pearl happens without any special intervention. I have observed black lip oyster nucleation in French Polynesia. They make a slit in the gonad and insert the tissue and bead and do not pinch anything.

Why are you so sure about this not happening as part of the growth process? No one would make this bump on purpose as it devalues the pearl. And, the cost of farming pearls being so high, they would never go back into the oyster later. There is a high incidence of rejection when the oyster is manipulated beyond occasional cleaning.

FYI,
    Blaire
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

GemGeek. Of course, it's difficult to think that farmers would make anything wich devalue their production. Your view is perfectly logical.
    I have looked at these marks carefully, and I can't imagine what natural phenomenon can do that.
    I have sawn pearl to see if cut looked like tokki pearls layout, it's no.
    My last assumption is that farmers try to close up incision, that because statistically, they know it's more chance that oysters keep bead up to make a good pearl, doing that, and pearls we find with this kind of protuding are just the wast product of the process. Many manufacturing manners are designed on right count between loose and win, maybe it's our case.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Josh's Avatar

Hello Eric,
    Thank you for your thought provoking discussion here. Your labeled diagram and photos are top notch too.
    I think that to understand what's going on here, it is crucial to understand how a pearl is formed. The pearl sac as we all know, lays down layer after layer of nacre. A "pinch" mark is easily explained by an area of the pearl sac's inability to produce nacre at the same rate as the areas close to it. Some parts of the pearl sac are often faster or slower to deposit nacre. This has to do with physical pressure (is it pushing up against the muscle or possibly poorly centered in the gonad?) as well as nutrient supply. As a pearl technician, my goal is to always center the nucleus and graft tissue as well as possible.
    As a pearl farmer, I can assure you that the intent is to make the highest value pearl possible and baroques and semibaroques don't qualify as such. Many years ago, we considered seeding drop shaped nuclei as perfect drops are often considered as valuable as rounds. We abandoned the idea however because of the technical difficulty of it as well as the high likelihood of producing low grade pearls.
    I hope that was helpful!
    Josh Humbert
    Pearl farmer and Tahitian pearl farming consultant.
    www.kamokapearls.com
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/Kamokapearls
    @KamokaJosh

Thank you Josh for this expertise. You explain us your well done attention to produce highest quality of pearls : in fact, my own mind is to agree you, in my last assumption.
    Pearl's sac is sensible to pressure or other physical attack to produce more or less nacre, right, but how can it be explained mechanical appearence and symmetrical layout of marks I have found? Would it be marks that bag's tissue have kept from bead introducing manner?
    I have looked for a photo I had seen, where dust pearls still showed dry pieces of pearl's bag, jammed in similar marks, but I have not found the file.
    Well, If ever a farmer try to close up incision to obtain better pearls, I should not see why that devalues its work...
    Just a little drawing to explain what I believed (with mistake that protuding would have to be still covered by bag's tissue, out of pinching, to be allowed to grow) :
    Name:  dessin agrafe.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  10.8 KB