Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Default Strange top for tahitian tear-drop pearls.

Hi everybody and experts!
    Lately, somebody asked me to carve a tahitian tear-drop pearl, nice peacock colour, but I refused this work. That because the top of tear was very strange, as if pearl had been pinched around the hole, and seeing that, I have believed that it was a false pearl... And today, I receive one, among tahitian (?) pearls I have ordered, with the same feature! I have shooted it, and I should like to know what do you think of that. Thank you!

Name:  IMG_1128.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  38.5 KB

Attachment 55924

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I've seen quite a few Tahitians like that. They are called tokki pearls.

This post, and the Swiss Gemological Institute article it contains a link to, may help explain how these pearls form:
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sho...l=1#post141007
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 10-12-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Maybe, Pearl Dreams... First, thank you a lot for your reply and sharing... I have read the scientific link about this special growing, sticking two beads, but I don't understand so a clear clamp mark, even in case of a first incision to graft a second germ. Soon I am going to carve this pearl, I'll see what's happening inside and provide you my feedback.

druzydesign on eBay sells a number of pearls like this.

Anyway, this kind of treatment don't get nice results! I don't understand profit of such a work wich so much unlaid a pearl.

But it's not done on purpose-- the tokki configuration forms accidentally, on its own.

In other words, it isn't the goal-- the goal is a perfect round pearl. Tokki pearls happen sometimes by accident, and some find them whimsical and fun.

For example-- the necklace in this thread, made with these pearls, and obviously enjoyed by its owner!
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sho...l=1#post147458
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 10-13-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Pearl Dreams, it's not to annoy you, but I have read again gemological study of tokki pearls, and your new well done sharing : nothing explain these marks, and to find exactly the same on a lot of pearls, as you have seen that yourself... I think about an other operation on these pearls. I can't imagine what, but serial process, sure, not hazardous at all, just bad.
    In fact, pearl exactly looks like it had to grow through an artificial insert. Why? To extract it without to kill the oyster, or what?
    Last edited by ericw; 10-13-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

eric, why tokki pearls occur? The same question applies to circle pearls, why do they occur? It's a freak of nature maybe?

Pareltje, just I see the difference between a natural occur and an artificial.
    About circles, when pearl is growing, oyster turn it all time that take to do. Very small factors can disturb this rotation, to get it don't turn in any directions, as well as to make a round pearl, but around only one axis, getting other secondary disturbs as circles. In fact, mechanically, perfect round pearl is the most of a freak itself ( or the greatest nature's miracle), so it's improbable to be able to keep such a regular rotation in any directions.
    Our subject is different: I have studied natural patterns and shapes all my life, and that is not a natural shape, I'm sure of that.
    Last edited by ericw; 10-13-2017 at 09:32 AM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lugana's Avatar

It looks like a natural blemish to me as well. I would actually find it difficult to make such a blemish artificially - you mean you would pinch the pearl inside the oyster and then make it grow nacre over that mark? Then I want to see those well-trained oysters joke.

It's rather easy to tell an artificial pearl from a real pearl, and also - making artificial pearls with such blemishes is at least weird (not to mention that it's much more difficult than stamping perfect round shapes). So yep, I can only second others that it's a blemish that naturally occurred on a cultured pearl.

Did you said weird, Lugana ? : First time I have seen one pearl like this, I have thought that it was a false pearl wich top had been molded to be easier mounted... And today, it's the only explanation I have, but sure, to make that on a cultured pearl, inside an alive shell ??!!!!! And yet, I'm sure that this mark on shape is artificial. As it's very awfull, I go to saw it.
    Edit : I have sawn the top : not second bead or any hollow or organic parts, like tokki pearls, none discontinuity of nacre layers ( right angle cut, now), wich have the same shape than outer... No answer to my question but it's a true pearl... and a mystery.
    Last edited by ericw; 10-13-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

No, eric, it's not artificially made by the oyster. Some pearls have a small protruding tip like that. Hence there are findings designed to hide this little bump to make the pearl appear round/oval. If you check Pearl Society, there are pearls like this in all forms and sizes.
    I hope this link will give you more information https://www.purepearls.com/tahitian-pearls-grading.html
    I have a golden south sea pearl with some translucent nacre at the bottom of the pearl. I'm still trying to find out what that is and why it happened. The only explanation I found was that such phenomenon is called "ocular pearl", I think it was GemGeek who calls it that way.
    Last edited by Pareltje; 10-13-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: adding info

Thank you, Pareltje, to share this link and your point of view. I should believe in any kind of blemish (I work with many baroque pearls, showing so blemishs, for a round pearl, as possible to find), or other natural protuding if these clamp's marks were not so square and symmetrical, side to side. That is not natural, at all.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Tokki ..... thanks for that PD ! I never knew what they were called !

They are quite common ....lots of times there are pearls with a little “ bubble’ on the top . You need to watch those was it can come off in drilling .

Nice shop, Katbran! About tokki, I'm sure that mine is not one of this kind of pearls.
    I have quickly drawn what I have found, to explain my point-of-view:
    Name:  coupe perle tokki.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  91.0 KB
    Last edited by ericw; 10-14-2017 at 10:50 AM.