Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Let's please try to keep it about the pearls and not about one another's bona fides....

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Let's please try to keep it about the pearls and not about one another's bona fides....
    I agree 100%

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Reading you, and your experiences of pearls becoming dull, maybe cities'pollution can do that. Nox and other compounts of it make acid moisture, well known to kill trees, and pearls ?

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey1856 View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day after looking at my 11-12 mm white metallic studs that i bought two years earlier. They have really dulled in luster! They weren't that expensive anyway but I'm surprised how fast that happened. I didn't even wear them that much and always wiped them down after wearing them.
    Try giving them a good wash - wiping will not take off anything greasy for example.
    Put the plug in the sink, lather up your hands with a soap you would use on your face and just rub the pearls around in your palms, then rinse thoroughly and dry.
    Think of the film which appears from no-where on the inside windows of a car. You need more than a wipe to get rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Try giving them a good wash - wiping will not take off anything greasy for example.
    Put the plug in the sink, lather up your hands with a soap you would use on your face and just rub the pearls around in your palms, then rinse thoroughly and dry.
    Think of the film which appears from no-where on the inside windows of a car. You need more than a wipe to get rid of it
    That's really good advice, Pearlescence. I wash my glasses like that so I just did that with my earrings as a test to see if that would help. The subtle change in color and luster for this one Freshadama pearl is still visible to me, though...

Ella

This is the thread about FWP and saltwater pearls.

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sho...-Edison-Pearls

Pearls don't last anyway. I just want to enjoy what I have and not buy anymore.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

I wouldn't rub pearls more than absolutely necessary. Earrings - rinse and pat dry with a soft freshly washed cloth. Any cloth that sits out gathers dust, which contains micro quartz grit.

Necklace, run it through a clean wet hand and pat dry after wearing. Wash pearls when they get dirty.

Eric is right. Each pearl grows and ages differently. Organic gems have their charms and their drawbacks. But we love them just the same.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Good point about dust containing quartz (which is considerably harder than pearls on the Moh hardness scale).

I like to wash out the microfiber cloths I use to wipe my pearls periodically. I store them in a drawer-- but of course dust can enter a drawer also. Maybe I'll start keeping the cloth in a plastic bag.

I have a question that is indirectly related. We know that akoya pearls can yellow over time-- and it seems to me that FWP can as well.
    Can white SSP also yellow over time?
    If not, why not?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

My mother's baroque SSP's looked like they yellowed slightly over time. At least, I remembered them being whiter when she first bought them, and they were slightly ivory when I restrung them for my sister.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

Enkeli, I have only noticed discoloring with older akoyas, but have other antique akoya's that look like new pearls do.
    I hope the difference in color hasn't discouraged you from wearing your earrings. The distance between them on either side of your head should keep the viewers from seeing both straight on at the same time. If it really bothers you perhaps PP can help you match another pearl to either one so you have a matching set. The other lone pearl could be a pendant perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    My mother's baroque SSP's looked like they yellowed slightly over time. At least, I remembered them being whiter when she first bought them, and they were slightly ivory when I restrung them for my sister.
    Interesting!

Well, there's a reason to buy GSS -- any yellowing that may occur over the years won't be noticeable.

I like the way you think, PD!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well after Baileys remark , now I'm a bit concerned about the high end and metallic whites. I simply cannot imagine why a pearl would change colour and lose lustre in just two years unless there has been some treatment that we are unaware of .. a fine coating as BWeaves mentioned. That would be really annoying. Seriously, why would anyone buy expensive white pearls if they could discolour and lose lustre in 2 years?? 20 years is a different story..

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well...they do seem pale but some still seem quite lavender and similar to CC's photo. But that might be the photo and irl they are more yellow. That would be very disappointing.

All of this does make you wonder if there is/was some colour treating going on ...I just looked at some ripples from CC that are a good 6 years old and they are as deep rosy gold as ever.

Perhaps the colour has something to do with it...London Pearl showed me a pearl that had been purple and is now pink - your strand was lavender and is now yellowing. Maybe there is a problem specific to the purple/lavender shade?

Katbran - from my experience - it is the darker colours - strong "purple" and deep orange that seem to change most. The first few years of production there were very few whites if any, many soft pinks and oranges and very few deep purple colours. I selected mainly the rare colours which were those deeper colours ......then.....