Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

I was hoping I had taken a picture of the entire small bag of brown Tahitians that Jeremy had collected, but I didn't. None of them were that color. They were all shades of brown, and none really were identical. And, this is what he had pulled together over a period of years, hoping to make a necklace. But, the color is so rare, I think he gave up. Even the two that I paired up are not identical in color. One is a bit grayer than the other.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Rare indeed! Very special.

Also, yours are Tahitians, not SSP as this seller is claiming the chocolate pearls are.

Hi. Thank you for your input. I too have no problem with dyed pearls. But the seller passing them off as natural is another thing. Either she doesn't know her pearls/stocks or she just wants to ask a higher price for them. Anyway, if I do decide to get them, I'll post pictures here. Expert opinion very much appreciated! Thanks 😀

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

They are definitely dyed south sea pearls. I've seen an Etsy vendor based in Manila who sells dyed south sea pearls (mostly chocolate and pistachio).

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Rare indeed! Very special.

Also, yours are Tahitians, not SSP as this seller is claiming the chocolate pearls are.
    Now, if Agustus is reliable then I can confidently say that ssp can be found in bronze/tan naturally as well. But it's a very rare color.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Interesting, Pareltje. I have not seen them. Will have to have a look.

I think I posted this picture once somewhere on PG. They are ssps from Agustus. All natural colors. Name:  IMG_20161125_163328.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  19.3 KB
    And London Pearl had this one, natural color ssp from Atlas pearl farmName:  IMG_4314.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  41.8 KB
    Cees has a melon green ssp in his collection too. Name:  _20171002_141125.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  44.9 KB
    In Lombok I saw natural pink ssp, but I didn't take a picture because the quality was low, some bald spots where the nacre is missing.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Luvglitz's Avatar

Kookey22, I am posting a picture of a brown Tahitian strand. The color is a natural brown color untreated. The brown varies from greenish brown, coppery and grey brown.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello everyone. I've asked another online seller who sells chocolate pearls also and seems to be more knowledgeable about her products. She told me that that the chocolate brown/pistachio green/some black or grayish colors of south seas are injected and not the natural color. They are still real south sea pearls, though. That's why a lot of sellers have them here in the Philippines. 😀

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Injected? How and with what?

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Injected? How and with what?
    Marianne, "injected" is the term they use in Indonesia for treatment with color booster or dyeing. I assume the same is used in the Philippines.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

I think it's not possible to dye a pearl with any injections inside, but, as such a point that treatments are sophisticated, maybe soon pearls will be kept under perfusions to make special colours nacre ? ... About chocolate colour, I have read somewhere that tahitian pearls were heated to do that. Anyway, colour can be changed by some special internal structure, and not by colour of nacre itself. For exemple, a lavender pearl can have really this nacre colour, deeply, but also if a thin white nacre surface's layer covers a thick conchyoline layer. Then, it's an optical effect between the two wich makes this colour, because refraction of light, through the nacre, gives to the pearl the complementary colour (violet) of conchyoline's amber colour.
    Last edited by ericw; 10-08-2017 at 08:35 AM.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Pearls are dyed by being submerged in a dye solution for a time. Black freshwater pearls, for example, are dyed. White pearls (fw and akoya0 are bleached
    Name:  bottles-2-300x169.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  22.0 KB
    with peroxide and UV light.
    While Darwinian theories do not explain pearl nacre colour the colours pearl nacre producing cells make is fixed by their genetics

We used to produce a quantity of colour enhanced Tahitian pearls in brown colour but about 7 years ago we stopped treating pearls. Today we only sell natural colour pearls. The colour of the pearls in all of the above images were achievable but not natural. There were and are a number of "laboratories" in Kobe that we used to do the treatment for us and I believe they still do these treatments. There are also a number of Japanese pearl dealers who sell these colours. Some of them admit that the colours are "not original" others are less forthcoming .....

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Plenty of golds get their colour 'helped' individual strands will always just look pretty good if the dye work is done well, but still, en masse, the pearls have a brown sort of ear wax look (same as freshwaters. Grace has been churning out hundreds of strands of these)