Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bali Volcano

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Default Bali Volcano

Mount Agung in Bali is threatening to erupt, causing mass evacuations of villagers living near the volcano.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/...wKW?li=BBqdg4K

Tourists can still come to Bali, but need to be ready to leave immediately. If the volcano erupts, the airport will be closed immediately, so leaving could be a problem. Volcanic ash and jet engines do not mix, so aircraft cannot fly in regions of volcanic ash.

When I was in Bali in May 2017, we were unable to clearly see the volcano. This is the best photo that I got of Mount Agung, rising through the mists from the beach restaurant at the Tandjung Sari in Sanur, about 35 miles away.

Praying for those in harm's way in Bali, and wishing them all the best.

20170515_074758.jpg

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Oh dear. That's very scary.

Oh no! I hope everyone there stays safe!

This is fairly common , hopefully it's not a bad one , but as it's a popular tourist destination for Australians ( think of it as the Bahamas for Americans) everyone knows that there is always the possibility of flight disruption. I've had different friends trapped there on several occasions due to the ash cloud. Hope it's just a belch .

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

"Belch", Ha! Let's hope so.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I hope everyone is okay in Bali. I heard from my friends that they felt some (weak) earthquakes in Ubud. This volcano is threatening to erupt anytime.

The news said there have been 1,000 tremors ! I'm sure that the vast majority only register on their equipment .. it it's looking like this might actually blow. I do hope that this resolves soon ....all those poor people who have been evacuated are becoming sick due to the unsanitary conditions that occur when too many people are gathered together for too long. But tourists are still flying over ...

Katbran, if Mount Agung erupts Java and neighboring islands of Bali will be terribly affected. Let's hope that His Majesty Mount Agung doesn't vomit severely like Mount Merapi sometime ago.
    Another problem is that the volcanic activity of Mount Agung can trigger other volcanoes in Indonesia to "wake up" as well.

Keeping the people of Bali and Indonesia in my prayers. I hope these temors have ended.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member asurazzy's Avatar

I was there just 25 kms away from mt.Merapi when it was erupted for 2 weeks in 2010 n killed more than 350 people by its pyroclasticflow. Think of pompei victims. They looked like statues but with their flesh melted. I can see from my room window the plume of ash risen 18 kms upwards from the crater n you can actually see lightnings splashing from the bottom. It was a sight to behold. Then woken up to a grey morning on the smell of strong sulphur n everything blanketed by the ash. What was forest turned into sea of sand. I remembered sleeping with open door with a backpack ready filled with bottled water, food n important documents ready.

But well hopefully Mt. Agung wont be that way.

Just read this morning that Mount Sinabung in North Sumatra erupted. Gosh!

Pareltje - How true, the ash is terrible and the eruption / like an earthquake can trigger other events along the ring of fire... like now there is a new eruption in Vanuatu on Ambae and they are evacuating the island. On problem now is that the people who were evacuated in Bali have started to go back to take care of their farm animals etc The government is trying to get them to go back to the shelters. I do hope that it's going to settle but it's looking more like it's building up. There is a new crack in Agung's crater now .

I saw this morning that Sinabung erupted.. so that's two other eruptions
    Azurazzy - you were darn lucky to get out without being injured - must have been terrifying.

Katbran, I remember I was sitting in my office talking to a colleague whose mom lived in Surabaya. She said she could feel the tremor there. She had to stop riding her motorbike and park it on the sidewalk. And then the ash. It took weeks to clean it properly.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

I was talking a couple of days ago with a friend who was driving and was caught in the ash cloud when Mt. St. Helens erupted in the US in 1980. He tells of spending days taking shelter in a church from the thick ash. He and his wife finally decided to try to drive out, and he was injured in a car accident when he was rear-ended because the driver behind him could not see due to the fine ash being stirred up. He still has back pain from that.

His advice to anyone thinking of visiting Bali as a tourist right now is to stay far away. Don't risk messing with Mother Nature. You don't know exactly what is going to happen when this volcano blows.

All is fine here now. Some of the evacuees had returned home. The people who live very close (within 6Kms radius) of the mountain is still staying at the camps. Other than that, all is well.