Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tahitian pendant and earrings for "milestone" birthday?

My first post after being a long-time lurker! This group offers incredible information and I've learned so much from you all. As well as envied your beautiful pearls. Now, I think it's time I take the plunge and am looking for advice.

I'm considering a Taihitian drop pendant and earrings for my upcoming birthday (it's a big one with a "6" in it). I want a statement-size pendant so I'm thinking 14mm? And for earrings, no larger than 9mm for comfort. Opinions?

As I contact online retailers (no significant pearl dealers in my area), what would be the best terms to convey what I'm looking for? I'm drawn to blue/green body color--definitely no silver--with a yellow gold setting. Anything else I should request?

I'm open to baroque if a perfect plump drop is out of my price range. I appreciate any advice and feedback, and thanks again for all the education you provide!
    J.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Abi's Avatar

Welcome Fidgetnator!
    I would request more pictures of the pendant and earrings, with different lighting and different angles.
    I hope you post pictures when you find something you like or receive your Tahitians .
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Welcome ! I think your pearl size is right 14mm+ will get you a nice big pendant! Do go for lustre over size though ! A 12mm high lustre will look much nicer than a 14mm with average lustre. Just look at lots of pearls and get a feel for the difference in colours and lustre. And a very Happy Birthday !!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Happy birthday to you! I would definitely ask to see many photos of the pearls you are interested in...and please ask for them under natural daylight (direct and indirect).
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lady_Disdain's Avatar

Congratulations on your upcoming 16th!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Abi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Disdain View Post
    I was thinking the same number! Sweet Sixteen
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Happy Birthday!
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Happy Birthday! You may want to consider an enhancer instead of a standard bail so you can use the drop on a variety of necklaces, including pearls. Most stores selling pearls know how to photograph them to show their colors, but when you get them, the colors will vary according to the light hitting the pearl, so play around with the pearl before deciding if you like it or not.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

That's the number I was thinking

Happy Birthday! When I turned the number you are I bought my dream strand pearls. It's wonderful to see them now and still get a thrill when I wear them. I wish you the same with your new pearls.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member asurazzy's Avatar

Happy bday!!!
    For such a fab milestone you deserve a big big big pendant. 14 or 15 mm peacock on a yellow gold diamond accented bail maybe? Or a round one as a center of maybe flower shaped yellow gold setting? I think yellow gold will contrast the black pearl. As for earring I like dangle better than studs. N go big as well. 9 mm is so small..atleast 11 mm haha. Dont forget to post pics of ur pearlies when U got it!

Nice one !! Lol

That's priceless!
    Thank you all for the welcome and advice. It's exciting to begin "the hunt" for your perfect pearl, isn't it?
    J.

I found that Tahitians always looked underwhelming in the box when I opened it. Then I put them on. Wow! They need to be seen on skin to really pop.

Kamoka has some gorgeous pendants and enhancers.

I found that Tahitians always looked underwhelming in the box when I opened it. Then I put them on. Wow! They need to be seen on skin to really pop.

Kamoka has some gorgeous pendants and enhancers. I find their photos are very accurate as to what the pearls look like in real life. And the pearls in the photo are the ones you are going to get.

Quick update: the hunt has commenced! I'm working with Erin at PP and the process is very exciting.

Plus, it has occurred to me that Christmas is just 3 months away . . . and our anniversary is in April . . . so more opportunities to build a collection are not far away! This is how it all starts, isn't it?
    J.