Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Default Just for fun ...

... I mean, with all this new technology these days, some might appreciate this.

https://www.facebook.com/DailyMail/v...5639513495779/

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Hahahaha...I'm guessing they'd be totally stumped by a Walkman too...but at least it had headphones!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Abi's Avatar

I couldn't stop laughing the whole time. Ahhh so hilarious.
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

A number of years ago a friend of my sons tried to use the rotary dial telephone that we had in our basement. He had no idea on how to manipulate the dial so that the correct number was produced in the system. (Stick your finger into the correct number hole, and rotate in one motion all the way to the stop, then release. Turns out, this does take a bit of practice.)

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Haha...when I was in high school I used a reel to reel tape recorder.

My college roommate had 8-track tapes.

And in college, I used a slide rule. We all did. Calculators cost as much as all my textbooks for one semester, about $75-- unaffordable. So few students had calculators that they were not allowed to be used on Chemistry exams, to avoid giving an unfair advantage to the few who owned one.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Haha...when I was in high school I used a reel to reel tape recorder.

My college roommate had 8-track tapes.

And in college, I used a slide rule. We all did. Calculators cost as much as all my textbooks for one semester, about $75-- unaffordable. So few students had calculators that they were not allowed to be used on Chemistry exams, to avoid giving an unfair advantage to the few who owned one.
    Yep, slide rule ruled! No calculators allowed during the SATs. I thought I was really da bomb when I got my first PC in 1985. I still have that machine (Wyse), and the 5.5" floppy disks that went into it! I used to listen to my Walkman while working on my grad school thesis on that PC.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

omg that is too funny ! That's made my afternoon !! Thanks for the laugh!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Oh, that is so funny ... thanks Jeremy!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

My young son still saw both cassettes and video tapes. Does it mean we keep antique stuff in the house? He was, however, quite bewildered when I showed him my old camera which predates those digital cameras.

Too funny.

I used to have a reel to reel tape player, and I loved recording things and then putting the tape on backwards and playing it back. Cassettes were for wimps. Hehehe.

Red, and the funny thing is, the word "dial" refers to moving a knob in a circular way. Nobody has actually dialed a phone or changed the dial on their TV in decades. It's funny how words change meanings.

I'm reading Beatrix Potter's diary right now, and every time she says she drives somewhere, I'm always jolted when she refers to the pony getting upset when it realizes they didn't turn down the road towards home.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

Oh my goodness. We still have tape players and tapes at home (and my kids were recently introduced to a VCR), so I feel like I need to try this at home and see what they think.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LiliasTreasures

Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert la_corsetiere's Avatar

Classic! Thanks for a good laugh, Jeremy.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

LoL! When I was in college, car phones were all the rage... they were really big and bulky and came with a battery pack that was the size of a huge lunchbox. One of my college professors decided he had enough of the hot shots who picked up their phone to talk at every red light and put in one of those old wooden phones with the crank and separate mouth and ear pieces. He used it at every light he saw someone using a car phone. I don't remember what subject this professor taught, but I remembered this joke of his.

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    LoL! When I was in college, car phones were all the rage... they were really big and bulky and came with a battery pack that was the size of a huge lunchbox. One of my college professors decided he had enough of the hot shots who picked up their phone to talk at every red light and put in one of those old wooden phones with the crank and separate mouth and ear pieces. He used it at every light he saw someone using a car phone. I don't remember what subject this professor taught, but I remembered this joke of his.
    Oh how funny !! I'd forgotten all about those car phones ! I dated a guy who drove an Avanti and had one of those ridiculous phones in it ! He thought he was pretty cool lol Geeeezz. , so funny to remember . I remember the first PC I ever saw when I was visiting my brother and his neighbor had one ... there was some sort of quest game on it ... static pictures ... read the xquestion and type a response. I thought it was amazing . Look at the games now ..

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Thanks for the laugh, Jeremy. I might have to try this with the grandkids some day