Default is south sea or FW pearls

Hi,
    I am novice in pearl knowledge. with my limited budget I came across this pearl earrings that I really liked. The problem is I am not sure whether the pearl is a SS or FW pearl and if it is a FW pearl ,I feel its pricey. I have messaged the seller enquiring the pearl details and yet to receive reply. I wanted to reach out to pearl experts out there to see if they identify the pearl so I can cross verify with the seller ( to see if I can trust the seller in an online transaction ) though I must admin the seller is in US and seem to have good reviews. Please help Name:  pearl.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  45.6 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Usually when I see button shaped pearls mounted like that they are freshwater pearls.
    What size are they?

It is very common for freshwater pearls to be mis-described as akoya, South Sea, or Tahitian pearls on eBay and other online venues.

Is this seller just selling her own personal items, or does she sell other pearls? Have a look at her other listings and it may give you a clue as to the veracity of her descriptions.

Even if they are her own personal items that she is selling, she may still be wrong about what they are. I think you need more information.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 09-13-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

looks like freshwater to me...
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

skyinsc,

The seller may have bought them having been told they were SSP, and overpaid for them. Now that she's selling them she is falling back on what she was told they were and basing her price on what she paid. That is the kindest interpretation.

If you look at SSP earrings sold by large vendors, they are usually in fancier settings. SSP are a luxe item and are usually set in ways that reflect that.

I opted out of proceeding further in buying it as it was too small for my liking. the seller doesn't even know whether they are SS or not.. seller is not misleading and their other listing seem to be genuine. this is from a estate sale and pearls are 7.5-7.75mm size . Thank you all for sharing you insight about this pearls.. Really appreciate it !

I think they look like freshwater pearls. In one of the other photos, you can see a lot of glue, as well. I'd pass.

Some eBay listings are priced for the gold content more than the gems.

Quote Originally Posted by skyinsc View Post
    I opted out of proceeding further in buying it as it was too small for my liking. the seller doesn't even know whether they are SS or not.. seller is not misleading and their other listing seem to be genuine. this is from a estate sale and pearls are 7.5-7.75mm size . Thank you all for sharing you insight about this pearls.. Really appreciate it !
    Good idea passing on them. Overpriced fwp with yucky glue on the back....