Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

BWeaves - I do hope you are able to stay safe and dry ! Sounds like your employer has done the right thing. Staying off the roads is important. Good luck!

Cathy- hope the basement stays dry ! People don't think about the impact of constant rainfall ...it's a slow flood at times.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lady_Disdain's Avatar

I'm glad it missed Haiti - that island needs a small break.

Did you guys see the story about the last flight out of Puerto Rico? Delta flew basically between the spiral arms of the storm. Call me a wimp but I would rather face the storm on the ground not the air. If their weather team had made a small mistake or the storm took an unexpected turn, it would have been ugly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.efb9ba1a019e

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

Be safe, BWeaves and all PGers affected! We'll be thinking of you.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LiliasTreasures

Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Stay safe and dry. It's scary form the look of it.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Disdain View Post
    I'm glad it missed Haiti - that island needs a small break.

Did you guys see the story about the last flight out of Puerto Rico? Delta flew basically between the spiral arms of the storm. Call me a wimp but I would rather face the storm on the ground not the air. If their weather team had made a small mistake or the storm took an unexpected turn, it would have been ugly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.efb9ba1a019e
    Thank you for the link to this story, Lady_Disdain. Delta was able to operate the aircraft safely due to the excellent weather reports, and obviously the quick turn-around time on the ground. The plane was at the gate for only 40 minutes, and the flight left 25 minutes ahead of schedule with a full load of 173 passengers. I'm sure they were glad to get away from Irma. Flying between the arms of Irma would be similar to flying between thunderstorms here in the Midwestern United States. The air away from the storms would be relatively quiet.

The biggest risk was if they could not get off the ground quickly in San Juan. Delta would have lost a multi-million dollar aircraft. It was definitely a gusty call with some excellent timing.
    Last edited by Red; 09-08-2017 at 01:40 AM.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lady_Disdain's Avatar

I think it was a brilliant operation, I just wouldn't be on board.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

Stay safe BW and all of our P-G Florida members. Sending prayers and hugs your way.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

St Martin and St Barthelemy frensh Islands are destoyed, hope that hurricane loose power before to hit the Florida.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

St. Martin looked very bad; I haven't seen any reports from St. Barthelemy, which is very bad ... it's very flat, with little shelter anywhere. I feel so bad for the residents, and worry for Florida.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rainy this morning (Friday), but sunny this afternoon. Picked up my Dad to come stay with us. I anticipate many games of Rumikub will get played. I keep puttering around the house as I think of things to prepare or make more secure. My neighbors are all hammering and nailing boards around their houses. Lots of thunder, although it can't possibly be the hurricane, as its still too far away. Clear skies and thunder is always a bit weird.

I feel like Pippin in The Lord of the Rings, when he's on the balcony with Gandalf, as he's staring at the lighting and darkness in the distance. "I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse!" I mentioned that to Greg, who laughed and said that was exactly what he was thinking, too. We are of one mind, us two.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Keep us posted BWeaves. I felt guilty today as I was out having a normal day, thinking of those of you on the other side of the country and through the Caribbean. Hoping for the best for all of you awaiting the approach of Irma.

Don't feel guilty. Weather is weather. At least with a hurricane, you have time to prepare, unlike a tornado or earthquake. Sh!t happens. Just, hopefully, not to me.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I've been distracted here in Oregon by all our NW forest fires, which are terrible and still burning, the polluted unsafe air and ash falling, but nothing like what is facing everyone in Florida and the neighboring states. Hopefully everyone who is evacuating will make it to safety. The videos of the highways~oh my! Thank you for your posts, BWeaves.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

The coverage of Irma is riveting. Praying for all in its path. Stay safe!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Praying that the hurricanes and fires get weaker. Too bad we can't take some of the rain and sent it on the other side of the country.