Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Default In the path of Hurricane Irma

If any PGers are in the path of Hurricane Irma, please use this thread to keep us updated.

I'm in Central Florida, which is where everyone evacuates TO, so hopefully I won't get it too bad. If the storm keeps to the east of me, then I'll get the west side of the hurricane which is much less intense than the east side of the hurricane.

My company sent us all home today with our laptops. We'll work from home the next two days. That keeps us off the roads and not wasting gas. And they had us mark ourselves as "not working" on Monday and Tuesday, just in case we have no electricity. So management was nice and proactive this time.

I'll keep you posted on my status as Irma goes by.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Thank you for starting this thread BWeaves!

Yes, please stay safe everyone and keep us all posted!

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Yes, please stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Stay safe and dry!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Yes, please do stay safe! Having lived through Sandy, hurricanes are no fun...but a Cat 5 storm...well that's just unimaginable to me.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

So hope you will be safe and dry, BWeaves! I'm glad your company took you all along on the high road. As you can, please let us know your status; we worry.

While we haven't been in the direct path of any major storms, Pennsylvania has been on the tail end of all these storms, alternating with heavy downpour thunderstorms for weeks now, with more on the way when Irma is finished with the south. Our ground is saturated, streams are beginning to overflow their banks. Mostly nuisance, no one in danger, and our basement is dry for now. I feel for everyone in the path of these storms ... Please be cautious and safe.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lady_Disdain's Avatar

I'm glad your employer is doing their best to keep you guys safe and dry.

The closest I've come was Agatha in Guatemala and that was only a tropical cyclone. I can't imagine a Cat 5. The images from the islands are terrible.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I have family and friends living in Puerto Rico. Not good, not good at all but they've missed the eye of the hurricane from what I understand. Many are without power and may be for months. There is also still a real fear of flash flooding from all the residual rainfall. But so far it seems most of the people I know are safe under the circumstances, we've checked in as often as we could, there are a few I've not heard from yet .
    Everyone please stay safe.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member asurazzy's Avatar

Ohhhh my goodnessss I hope everybody will be ok!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Good luck to you and Florida, BWeaves !
    I know Saint Martin island, where was not lived a lot of tall trees on it, because hurricanes. Now, it's finished for the last....
    Last edited by ericw; 09-07-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fault

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    So hope you will be safe and dry, BWeaves! I'm glad your company took you all along on the high road. As you can, please let us know your status; we worry.

While we haven't been in the direct path of any major storms, Pennsylvania has been on the tail end of all these storms, alternating with heavy downpour thunderstorms for weeks now, with more on the way when Irma is finished with the south. Our ground is saturated, streams are beginning to overflow their banks. Mostly nuisance, no one in danger, and our basement is dry for now. I feel for everyone in the path of these storms ... Please be cautious and safe.
    Stay safe everyone, and stay dry, Cathy.

Thirty-two years ago this month my husband and a work colleague were in Long Island and scheduled to meet with customers on Long Island the following morning as Hurricane Gloria bore down on them. We discussed it on the phone, and decided that his meeting the next morning was not going to happen. He and his colleague jumped into their rental car in the middle of the night and escaped from New York. He said he has never seen the roads in New York City so deserted as they sped through heading west in the wee hours that night. They drove all night and finally got a motel in Pennsylvania the next morning and said he has never seen so much rain. Gloria hit Long Island as a Category 2 hurricane and caused widespread damage and power outages. She was the first Storm of the Century of my lifetime. And, yes, the business they were supposed to visit was closed the next day, and for several days after that.

Just a long way of saying that was the first I realized about Pennsylvania taking on all of the hurricane rains, and I have followed that with interest ever since. And, very glad rainy Pennsylvania was there when my husband made his escape from New York and Hurricane Gloria.

I hope for everyone that it will not be so bad. Kind of holding my breath, I have a place on the west coast near Naples - worrying about it and all my friends there from afar!

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Hugs and best wishes to all. ♡
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I went through Charlie, Frances, and Jeanne, and that was scary enough, but a long time ago. Then nothing for years. Not even a tropical storm. I think Harvey got everyone preparing better for Irma.

Anyway, I'm working from home today. Nice day.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I am hoping for the best for all of you! I can't even imagine. Please stay safe and out of harm's way.