Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

I'm with JP and think the baroques are really cool.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member ericw's Avatar

Wonderful is the matter of a pearl, first... I have carved any gemstones, but nacre's pearl has so a special brigthness that it's really my artistic way I have discovered as a flash, later in my life. Now, it's time to work more and more to achieve the best.
    Pearls are difficult to carve, more hard than natural aragonite, and very different hard between each. So, each pearl ask to be carved according to a way or an over... It's an hazardous game. A game of precise gesture : pearls are very small and variable matters, and you can't remove any nacre, of course the lost light, instead of a gemstone, after a mistake. A game of patience, also, because a speed deep carving loose any brightness in the nacre.
    So, I don't like usual carved pearls, they seem as christmas baubles, I mean.
    I will try to make better photographs...
    My project is to show them as pieces of art, in galleries, and let the buyers to choise jeweller's assemby or not.
    Last edited by ericw; 08-12-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Ericw,

Thank you so much sharing your artistry and vision! From around the world we are cheering you on your journey!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

So friendly !...

First-graft Pearl Senior Member asurazzy's Avatar

So thanks to this thread I was googling carved pearls. Maybe better to carve big pearls say like 20 to 30 mm fireballs or 15 mm tahitian or southsea. It will look more striking. Even found pics of tiny pearls carved into tiny winy skulls. How did they do that?? Its soo cute. Found something called Galatea carved pearls. These people insert colored gemstone beads to grow into pearls. Carved the nacre deep until they reveal the nucleus color. Pretty impressive. Now I peep into the world of caerved nacre thank to you Ericw. Maybe you should post a video on when you carve a pearl. I would definitely watch that. I mean how do u carve a pearl? Or is that a trade secret??

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Ericw, these carved pearls are wonderful!!! They speak to
    my heart; baroque works of heart My favorite is the big white-ish one. I would wear that ... on a simple golden chain. Cheering you on !
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

You did a great job Eric ! I too prefer the baroque ones and agree with others that the round ones are commonly found . It's a good way to deal with nice pearls that have a few serious flaws if you can work the design around those flaws. Maybe a drop shape would give you a larger pearl with a more symmetrical shape at less cost that a good round pearl?

I can understand your problem with the nucleus in the large pearls - it's hard to tell at times just how close it might be to the surface .

It's not enought a great job ... When I'll work high grades' pearls without loose any light, it will be...
    As you suggest it, Katbran, my work allow to use flaws in final design, but any flaws are not good to do that, and the best would be to choise each pearl in my hand, not viewed on a computer.
    For exemple, fireballs have thick nacre on the "tail", and often too much thin around the nucleus, but it's the opposite for many over baroque pearls: nacre is thiner on the sharp parts ! An over observation about lavander pearls : my tests to work them have shown that several are white pearls reintroduced, for a short time, in different shellfishs than the first where pearl was born. Carving these lavander pearls, I have found, under a very very thin layer of lavander nacre, a thick layer of yellow conchiolin, not right to go on my work. I think it's the result of this transfer I suspect. Anyway, an unexpected difficulty again... Just a small lavander biwa pearl has been enought homogeneous to be carved.
    The conclusion is that farmer's working to make nice pearl is maybe (sometimes or often ?) just take action on the last appearence.
    Now, I'm sure I can give a good design, uncommon, even to round pearls. I have not yet bought, as irregular shapes I prefer too, and what I am looking for, suitable for my work, on the net.
    Last edited by ericw; 08-13-2017 at 10:01 AM.