Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tahitian Pearl jewelry without breaking bank? Etsy?

Hello all. Newbie here trying to make purchase for my wife's 40th birthday. I really want to buy her a Tahitian black pearl necklace (not string) or dangle earrings. I'd prefer handmade (and handmade looking)...not jewelry store perfect. I'd prefer Sterling silver, and I'm not concerned about getting the highest quality pearl. However, I do want authentic. No dyed pearls. I'd really like to even know the farm/Lagoon the pearl(s) come from. I tried contacting a pearl farm in Cook Islands directly that had some pretty and simple designs on Facebook. But they told me FedEx charged $140 to ship to US! So that's out of the question. Unfornuately I don't have a ton to spend. Hoping to spend less than $150 total probably.

Any ideas? How do I know if jewelry on Etsy is authentic Tahitian pearls? Found few Etsy stores that had few pieces I liked but not sure how authentic (MartiniInspired and TheCalloftheIslands)???

Thanks in advance!
    Broke and Confused

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Hi,

If you wish to know where a pearl came from, one vendor you could check out is Kamoka pearls. It's a family owned farm on Tahiti. I see several pendants set in silver that would be in your stated budget or near to it:
    https://kamokapearls.com/collections/pendants

I haven't checked out the two you mentioned but will go have a look.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 08-09-2017 at 04:34 PM.

I just had a look at TheCalloftheIslands. They do look like saltwater pearls. Some listings say the chain is not included, so just be aware of that.

Also, Cook Islands pearls are not Tahitians (hence the vendor's use of the quotes around the word Tahitians) and do not have to meet the same standard for exportation. Tahitians have to have a minimum of 0.8mm of nacre, while the Cook Islands don't. Nacre thickness matters, though-- for durability as well as for luster.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

You may also want to look at Pearl Paradise and Pearls of Joy for authentic Tahitian pearls. I've bought from both online vendors and been very satisfied. I've also bought from Kamoka and they have top of the line Tahitian pearls from their own pearl farms. Gorgeous pearls.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lady_Disdain's Avatar

I don't think you are going to be able to get a Tahitian necklace for under $150, of any quality. The lowest I have seen for individual strands is around $100 and, then, you would need a clasp and knotting. I would contact Wen Pearls on Etsy, as they have some inexpensive Tahitian pearls and may be able to make them into a finished necklace for you.

Personally, I would go for higher quality earrings with interesting fittings.

The OP said he wanted a necklace but not a string so I think he's not looking for a strand. A Tahitian pendant can be found within his budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I just had a look at TheCalloftheIslands. They do look like saltwater pearls. Some listings say the chain is not included, so just be aware of that.

Also, Cook Islands pearls are not Tahitians (hence the vendor's use of the quotes around the word Tahitians) and do not have to meet the same standard for exportation. Tahitians have to have a minimum of 0.8mm of nacre, while the Cook Islands don't. Nacre thickness matters, though-- for durability as well as for luster.
    Thanks Pearl Dreams! I didn't realize difference between Cook Islands and Tahitian. Good to know. And I'll check out Kamoka.

Also regarding the term "black pearl" -- most of them are not actually black! They come from the black-lipped oyster but the body color of the pearls is usually some shade of gray or green.

Many of the pearls also have overtone colors that mostly are seen in diffuse light, such as indoor natural light or outdoors on an overcast day. Studio photography tends to bring out the overtone colors to a greater degree than you will see in person, at home.

Edited to add, also see Tahitanpearls.biz, but then you wouldn't know which farm the pearls came from, which you said you would really like to know.
    http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahiti..._necklaces.htm
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 08-09-2017 at 06:38 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Katalin's Avatar

TahitiPearlsdesigner on Etsy has some nice looking pendants, although I've never bought from them. Or you could try Pearl Society on EBay. If the pearl what you like is a loose pearl, just ask for the price of a silver setting. I have bought several items from PS, and all were really nice.
    Or you could even look on Etsy WenPearls, she sells now 11-12 mm round Tahiti pearls for a good price, and if you ask her, I'm sure she could set it for you. Good luck!

Pearl Dreams, you broke my heart. I went to Kamoka and found the perfect pendant and within budget - https://kamokapearls.com/products/si...finity-pendant. But....it's out of stock. Nothing else moved me. And it seems like there is a disconnect to some degree with all the jewelry. I certainly want to know the pearl is authentic, but would love to know where it came from (like with Kamoka), and the artist that created the piece. Seems like there is a market here...

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Email Kamoka - they have a lot more than they display on their website. I'm sure they could find something that would be perfect for you.

Goodness, yes, use the link on that page to contact Josh at Kamoka. I'd be very surprised if they only had one of that finding. I should think they could make one up for you.

Sarah at Kojima Pearl has some lovely Tahitian pendants. She's legit. You can shop her store with confidence.

I am brand new, but I have been eyeballing these on eBay. He seems to accept "Best offers" and if you look at the feedback it seems to be consistently good for the pearls.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tahitian-Bar...QAAOSwIaFZLDjG

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

goodluckkitty, the pearls in your link are not very good quality. I would save my money and buy good quality from Kojima, Kamoka or Pearl Paradise! good luck