First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Default Any One Like to Garden & what plants are your favorite?

I wnt back 9 years with no mention of this kind of thread...That took a while so I will pose the question & elaborate when I have more time as I am tired tonight after chemo but it went well & my blood work is in normal limits except for a few things but not too far from normal to affect my health or post pone chemo...

I will say my current fascination is the slipper orchid...paph. Just got one with light green mottled leaves & a purple bud.

Can' wait for it to open. I go over to it may times a day with a magnifying glass & it looks longer than yesterdays when I got it or maybe it just likes all my CO2? LOL

Desert Rose or Adenium bonsai peak my interest & they are similar to plumeria but don;t become 10 + feet trees.

My passion for the last 13 years has been plumeria & I;ve grown least a hunded from seed. Some of these are the mos special blooms.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 07-20-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Mmmm...I'd have my nose in those all the time! I love the smell of plumeria (or as we called them, frangipani.) I wish they could grow here in CT.

Yes they are also call that but Frangipani is so much harder to spell!

Oh the scents of them are to die for & every one is different from sweet jasmine florals to fruity peach & I have one sort of grape kool aide.
    Even had one with a bit of mint & then some have cinnamon!

You could grow them in a pot but would have to take them in a warmer garage or basement during the winter. There are peole that do that on the east coast & in cold climates.

Cant get my nose in the ones on the trees now unless I had a ladder as they are over 8 feet...
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 07-20-2017 at 03:34 AM.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Gorgeousness!
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Thanks! I'm quite proud of them & they are sort of like children but I have not been well the past 2 years & I've sadly neglected them.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

I love Plumeria! Your yard is like Hawaii in Cali! I have a black thumb so I've given up trying to garden. Plus, we have deer here that eat everything that looks pretty. We put in river rocks at the front of our yard a few years ago bc the grass kept frying from the sun, and a few neighbors have done the same.

What is the secret to keeping orchids alive? My mom is usually good with plants but can't seem to keep the orchids alive. She's on her 4th one now and claims it is still alive since the leaves are green, but there is no flower. I love the spotted petals in your plant. How many days will it take to bloom? Hope it cheers you up these next few days and keeps your spirits up! Take care!

Your in TX so you should be able to grow plumeria if you are south.

Trick with them is to not overwater & they need good draining loose soil. Sort of gravelly like HI.

I'm not good with orchids. I buy mostly phals from Trader Joes for $10 & the flowers last a month or so. I heard the trick for reflowering is to give them a cool spell for a few months in fall winter. Now you can't out them outside if its too cool but they won;t induce a spike if it stays warm room temperature.

Never had a lady slipper before & I almost bought one at TJ's about 4 months ago but I put it back.
    Then I read about them that the flower lasts long & that they are not hard to grow & wanted one.

I went every day or a few times a week. Even left my number if one came in but have not seem one in months.

So checked ebay & I liked the leaves & figured it was pretty without flowers. Its also compact so the leaves are not too wide so the plant can fit anywhere.

Different orchids need different watering & possible light. Too much water for some will rot the roots too. They also need humidty which I don't have but Tx might depending on where you live.. I'm no expert in orchids though & they are complicated especially since there are so many types...

Plumeria I know quite well & its not easy to get the right potting mix for them & I dug out that patch of land which had grass & it was hard clay type so had to really condition it to bring it too something that the plumeria would be happy in. I forget all I put in there ut it was alot of work. I even built a border around it & raised the soiline so it would drain better. Luckily they seem to like it.

This is one in a pint pot from seed. See that little 2 or 3 inch tiny branch on the bottom well I cut it off & rooted it & not to many people would attempt it & its rarely successful with such a small young branch.
    It's the tree with the flower under it & one of the deepest pinks on the post above it with radiating red & orangefrom the center.., stunning. It also fades to a whitish with pink when it gets older so you have 2 colors on the tree...Its really nic

The mother tree of this one is in the ground & has 4 branches & is about 7 feet tall.
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 07-20-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Ha, we have a frangipani tree here in our front yard. Those flowers remind me of Bali, where they use them a lot in offerings and decorations.

awwww, they are beautiful, I fell in love
    Do your best to reach your goals )))

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Camelotshadow - Im not sure how I missed this thread. I do hope you are doing okay, Ive not seen posts from you in quite a while.

I kinda gave up on gardening right now. Too many cabbage worms, they've only gotten worse with the wet weather. The Skunks and Raccoons are pretty much digging everything up. I don't have the same energy to fight with the pests these days. I will confess I have a bit of a green thumb though. With my dog gone, I don't spend much time in the garden or backyard at all. Right now I have Ivy geraniums in hanging pots, a Fuchsia plant that is hanging on (Cabbage worms I refuse to give in to ) and will bloom again any day now and a pot of pelargonuims that are bouncing back. Calla Lillies, Hydrangeas and a Fig Tree round out some of the plants that I don't pay much attention to LoL.

I have several Easter and Christmas Cactus and of course Jade plants every where. Last year I grew Calendula in pots...I was going to use the petals for tea then forgot about them completely. Most of my "Garden" is more of a container garden. Bougainvillea and Potato bushes are my latest additions. I'll add some pics if I can remember.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Some from last year:

20170429_145017.jpg

20170429_145025.jpg

20170429_145036.jpg