Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Default Wedding Venues - San Diego area

I know this is right off the wall .. but my dear son Andy is engaged to a lovely girl from San Diego. She lives here in Australia but they will have a wedding in 18 months or so in S Cal as she has lots of family all over California.

Ideally they are looking for rustic elegance... possibly an indoor outdoor setting. The wedding and reception will be the same place.

Anywhere south of LA is in the running. My nephew had his reception at the Newport Beach Yacht Club which had a nice casual vibe...I think there is another one..Balboa ? YC ... but don't know anything about it. We had another family thing at Shutters up in Santa Monica and that was great. ..tho not sure if it's too out of the way..though there isn't a shortage of places to stay.

If any of you have been to a wedding where you thought the venue was great ... or if you've just heard about a spot... let me know. The search is on !

Thanks very much K
    Instagram Pearlzaustralia

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

I went to a wedding at the Montage Resort in Newport Beach. Wedding on the grass overlooked the ocean which was a beautiful backdrop. The reception was in the ballroom. The wedding ended up being photographed for one of the wedding magazines it was so well done. As a guest all I can say is it was beautifully done from start to finish. The food was top drawer too.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Newport Beach is of course nice, I love Balboa Island and surrounding area. I've been to a few "Classy" functions in and around the area
    (and all the streets are named after gemstones)

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

When I was young, I used to like to drive around at night and I often drifted down to Balboa Island. It can be lovely late at night - very few people and lights glimmering on the water. My brother's family lives nearby in a slightly scruffy part of Newport Beach.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlDudeDC View Post
    Newport Beach is of course nice, I love Balboa Island and surrounding area. I've been to a few "Classy" functions in and around the area
    (and all the streets are named after gemstones)
    Way to bury the lead, BPD!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

If you're looking in San Diego, the Hotel Del Coronado is absolutely a beautiful venue for a beach wedding.

Of course, please keep us posted on the details...especially what wonderful jewelry you will be wearing (and making!)
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

+1 on the Hotel del Coronado!

Oh thank you so much ! I love research! But here is only so much you can get from photos ..I need a short list so I can get people out to look at them and get the package info. We need to do two weddings ..sigh .. one in Australia and in in California the one here is easy ..small like 50 people and I know lots of potential venues. But over there it's a bit hard .

Wedding jewellery....hmmmmmm ... I'm going to have to start thinking about that !

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I have been to my fair share of weddings in So Cal...I went to college in LA. Honestly, the Hotel Del is a beautiful property.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Katbran, all great suggestions!
    Perhaps you might consider San Diego Botanical Gardens - they're set up for weddings. I've never attended a wedding in San Diego, but I have been to the Botanical Garden, and it's beautiful. I've attended breathtaking botanical garden weddings in LA. Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden in Claremont (slightly south of LA) offers indoor/outdoor wedding facilities, as do many historical houses, missions and museums dotting the state (a few in San Diego). I provided extra floral and plant arrangements for a wedding at the Adamson House here in Malibu- it's one of many beautiful historic houses & gardens that have been turned into museums, and most are set up for weddings.
    Garden Architecture is my work...I'm just a bit biased!!!

All marvellous suggestions !! Oh wow lmgarden - I should have guessed from your name lol How marvellous to work with plants and flowers and design !

We had our reception at the La Jolla Women's Club. It was a very elegant and historic location right near the water in downtown La Jolla. It has both inside and outside locations but does book up well in advance.

http://lajollawomansclub.org/

Thanks David - I shall check it out !!!