Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A gift for my wife

Hello! I am new here. My name is Johan, I am 22 and I am trying to find a present for my wife (23).
    I know she likes pearls, but I have no idea what I am doing. I found a little pendant on pearl paradise https://www.pearlparadise.com/produc...silver-pendant I thought was pretty, and I was looking at a black akoya necklace for her (even though I think she would prefer white and I think it is a little too blue, but again, I am really new at this) from pearls of joy even though it is a bit pricey on a student budget
    http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Black-Ako...5mm_p_132.html

Here is where I need help. I know you guys are the experts and I am wondering if you could guide me in the right direction or give me advice about what I linked. She does not wear bracelets, she does not have pierced ears, she would want a necklace and not a ring. She likes white and creamy pearls and had a really long 100 inch one of OKish pearls that broke last midsommar that she is really sad about (any advice on restringing it myself for her is really appreciated!).

Thank you for your help!
    P.S. sorry if my English is not great, I am Swedish!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Welcome to Pearl-Guide, johan! And your English is just fine!

Your wife is a lucky woman to have a husband who wants to give her pearls .

I really like that lavender freshwater pearl pendant, but based on your saying that you think she prefers white pearls, here are a few items that might not break the budget of a student...

https://www.pearlparadise.com/collec...-pearl-pendant
    (Note that this is a smaller pearl than the lavender one, 7-8mm)

https://www.pearlparadise.com/collec...g-silver-clasp

http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/White-Fre...70mm_p_41.html

Black akoya pearls are color treated; akoya pearls do not come in that color naturally. Many people like them of course but I thought you should be aware of that fact. Freshwater pearls DO come in lavender, peach, pink, white naturally.

As far as restringing, yes, you can do it! Many of us string our own pearls. There are several tutorials on this forum:
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/for...y-Beaders-Club

This pendant from Pure Pearls will have a great deal of luster. "Metallic freshwater" refers to freshwater pearls with extremely high luster. And it's a good sized pearl with a drop shape.

http://www.purepearls.com/metallic-w...a-quality.html

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Lugana's Avatar

Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't know what occasion or time limit you have for your present, but if time allows - how about ordering a necklace from a "proven" chinese seller? I agree with Pearl Dreams, if your wife likes white pearls - it's better go along those lines)) For example, I'm a pearl fan, I like almost any pearl, BUT for black akoya pearl. I don't know, it just doesn't do anything to me.. so beware)

I don't know your wife, so I will share just some pearls from my personal shopping list that would match your criteria (and mind that any of the seller would string you the pearls into any length with free silver clasp):

1. Button shape, but very lustrous and decent size, would do a nice rope: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1756142..._listing_top-6

2. Classic whites: https://www.etsy.com/listing/4787596...?ref=related-7
    I have a strand from this lot, quite decent. I was initially displeased with them because they were advertised as 10.5-11.5mm pearls, but now after some dispute with me they describe it correctly and these are nicely-looking pearls for the price)
    Name:  Whites from kongspearl.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  84.2 KB

3. I would doubt "natural white" here, but well)) https://www.etsy.com/listing/2628737...op_home_feat_1

4. I'm personally very drawn to this necklace, so if you like it as well - make sure you snap it before me)) https://www.etsy.com/listing/4819132...home_active_64

Whatever option of aaaaaaall the available vendors you choose, good luck! you have good intentions!)
    Last edited by Lugana; 07-04-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Hello Johan!
    It's a pleasure to see loved ones join our forum in hopes to find the right pearl gift

May I ask what your budget is and which country are you currently live in? I don't want to just assume Sweden, as people move around .

In regards to restringing a strand, there are a couple of restringing forums here on PG.. I believe made by Caitlin and Pearl Dreams:

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sho...-with-no-tools

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sho...ringing+pearls

Their posts really helped me learn how to string my pearls, as well as my mothers .

I hope these links will be helpful to your endeavors.
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Thank you Pearl Dreams! You have really given me a lot to look at!
    I should mention she did not care for off round pearls, and I think she would like the pearl to be the only thing on the necklace if it is solitary (like on the pendant, like the embellishments holding it there she would prefer it solitary like a diamond if that makes sense).
    I had no idea they are color treated! Being a member here is paying off already!
    Thank you for the links and the info, I am going to read up on restringing them for her and maybe have it ready for her next month!

That one is so lustrous! I really like it!! Metallic freshwater might be just perfect for her!!

Well honestly, I kind of messed up the occasion and time limit. Her birthday was in April, but I am applying to law school and architecture programs here so I got stressed and her present unfortunately fell to the side. Now, I would rather spend more time in order to get her something perfect!

I think the first two you linked are really pretty. But the first link, the one you said has a button shape, shows up as super round pearls. Is button the shape or just a kind of pearl? The first and second ones are really really pretty! Thank you for showing me some trusted sellers and some really pretty pieces

We live in Sweden, but she has family in the US she visits often and they are going to send her a package soon so if I can find something quickly I could put it in the package for her. But there is no real time limit.

Only one pearl on her 100 inch necklace fell off, but I think that still means I need to restring the whole thing, right? My mum offered to pay for it to be restrung, but my wife thinks it would be too expensive for OK pearls and does not want my mum to go through the expense.
    That video looks really helpful! Do you know where I could find that string? Do they sell it in the EU?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Wendy - beautiful pearl ! What size is it?

PD - that's a gorgeous pearl as well !! I do love the drop shapes!

Johan - if it is to be a single pearl..does the single pearl need to be round? I can understand if a necklace needs to be round as lots of people have very definite ideas about 'roundness' . But would she want a single pendant pearl also need to be round?
    Instagram Pearlzaustralia

Quote Originally Posted by johan View Post
    I think the first two you [Lugana] linked are really pretty. But the first link, the one you said has a button shape, shows up as super round pearls. Is button the shape or just a kind of pearl? ...
    Button refers to shape. Think of it as a slightly flattened sphere so that the drill hole passes through the shorter dimension of the pearl. I think some of those pearls in the photos look a bit egg shaped.

Only one pearl on her 100 inch necklace fell off, but I think that still means I need to restring the whole thing, right? My mum offered to pay for it to be restrung, but my wife thinks it would be too expensive for OK pearls and does not want my mum to go through the expense.
    That video looks really helpful! Do you know where I could find that string? Do they sell it in the EU?...
    Yes, the whole strand would need to be restrung. It takes a while, but you get into a rhythm of it. Paying to have such a long necklace restrung would be costly.

I think you were referring to Caitlin's video? I know Caitlin used Power Pro a lot. Power Pro is a brand name of Spectra, a fishing line. Maybe you can find it in Europe? It comes in white and moss green; I've also seen a very bright yellow. You can get it in 10# test which is for very small pearls/very small holes (takes 10 lb of force to break it-- doubled thread takes 20 lb.), 20# (which I use for most pearls), 30#, 50#, 65# and maybe other strengths as well, for larger pearls/larger drill holes.

Beaders Secret is Pattye's synthetic thread that she carries in her Etsy shop. It is very sleek/slippery and thus is easy for beginners to learn to knot with, and comes in a pretty wide range of colors; some colors also come in finer and thicker thread sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Button refers to shape. Think of it as a slightly flattened sphere so that the drill hole passes through the shorter dimension of the pearl. I think some of those pearls in the photos look a bit egg shaped.

Yes, the whole strand would need to be restrung. It takes a while, but you get into a rhythm of it. Paying to have such a long necklace restrung would be costly.

I think you were referring to Caitlin's video? I know Caitlin used Power Pro a lot. Power Pro is a brand name of Spectra, a fishing line. Maybe you can find it in Europe? It comes in white and moss green; I've also seen a very bright yellow. You can get it in 10# test which is for very small pearls/very small holes (takes 10 lb of force to break it-- doubled thread takes 20 lb.), 20# (which I use for most pearls), 30#, 50#, 65# and maybe other strengths as well, for larger pearls/larger drill holes.

Beaders Secret is Pattye's synthetic thread that she carries in her Etsy shop. It is very sleek/slippery and thus is easy for beginners to learn to knot with, and comes in a pretty wide range of colors; some colors also come in finer and thicker thread sizes.
    I'm a beginner in stringing pearls, and I found beader's secret really friendly for me.

Here's dear Pattye's Etsy Shop site if you're interested:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PatriciaSa...ofile_shopname

Please feel free to message her on Etsy for any questions. If you don't know how thick of a string you'll need (I was such a dunce about it) Pattye was really kind to suggest the right thickness for my necklace. She is really knowledgeable .
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

Thank you Pearl Dreams! You have really given me a lot to look at!
    I should mention she did not care for off round pearls, and I think she would like the pearl to be the only thing on the necklace if it is solitary (like on the pendant, like the embellishments holding it there she would prefer it solitary like a diamond if that makes sense).
    I had no idea they are color treated! Being a member here is paying off already!
    Thank you for the links and the info, I am going to read up on restringing them for her and maybe have it ready for her next month!
    So sweet of you! By "solitary" do you mean she would prefer a single pearl pendant on a simple bail (perhaps with a diamond) but nothing too elaborate?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Johan, welcome and you've been steered in the proper direction on restringing. If you are looking for a single pearl of a dark color, Tahitians are not treated. They make gorgeous pendants. But given that she prefers white, I would definitely stick with what you know she likes. Definitely check out the Pearl Paradise summer sale. I'm guessing they have some pretty pendants included.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Pearl Paradise did have some nice white pendants.. I assume they still have some! And they are on sale. Pretty settings and a wide range of prices.
    If you would rather buy in Europe , Wendy a long time member here, from Pearlescence , might have something as well. . she's in the UK .
    Instagram Pearlzaustralia