Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Kat, I am addicted to your instagram feed!

amti, I string on 4 pearls in reverse order, then string on the clasp and come back through those first 4 to knot...then I add on the others usually 1-3 at a time and knot just as katbran's video demonstrates. Clasp goes on with last 3-5 pearls, they I come back through and knot remaining; clip and zap/glue. Personally, I do not use a clip. I find it much easier to work on a flat, long surface.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Why thank you JP ! Very kind of you to say ! And I love your feed as well ... so many gorgeous Tahitians !! Thank you for putting me onto Instagram...I knew next to nothing ( and still hardly know anything) about it until you gave me a light shove in that direction ! lol

Regarding knotting - I agree with using a flat surface - I do all ropes on the leather Ottoman which is 5' x 5' so all the thread can spread out and not tangle.

I've not been able to post much as my house is in absolute and total disarray at the moment . Getting it ready to be styled and photographed for listing on the 28th. New carpet went down and painting almost finished. Movers have come twice now - on my second storage locker lol Just eliminating all the pieces they don't want to use.. fortunately they want all the art and antiques .. thank god for that.. All of my stuff is now packed in big flat plastic bins and stacked in the front room so it could be days before I get anything out to photograph.
    Bad time to have things packed up..just before xmas..

Hello again:-) Thank you for all the love for the blue akoyas, I am curious what you will do with your keshis Katbran, I must confess I have other tiny blue keshis on the way from Wendy...:-) Amti that will be one glorious rope! Can't wait to see it finished!

I have been a little MIA as I was waiting for some FWP from Wen to arrive and try the no glue knotting but nothing arrived so far...one of the perks of living on a small island :-) So just for practice I knotted some random pearls, I use the method that Pearl Dreams uses but one pearl at the time and as I rewatched Wendy's ( Pearlescence) video I realized I have been making things complicated for myself and THANK YOU ALL now I manage to knot without the glue, hiding the thread and then cutting it - I think I do need the zapper or special scissors though... but in any case I am happily moving forward with my knotting, just need more pearls ...:-) Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your akoya keshis. They look cute.

Default new pearl projects and catastrophes...

Hi again,

I have some new pearl projects finished and new pearls arrived so of course photos and new questions for all you experienced beaders and pearl lovers...Alas, this has been a month of challenges with both new pearls and beading projects...

happy projects ( so far..)
    Name:  IMG_3857.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  35.6 KBName:  IMG_3856.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  37.6 KB
    tahitians- pyrits - I love these light peacocks from Jac (8mm) and dark peacocks from Care Ehret ( 10mm, 12mm) together with tiny pyrits...I am planning to finish the look with 6- 7mm keshis but at the moment I don't have anything suitable so I will redo the necklace later on now I just enjoy it.

Japanese akoyas and rhodelite garnet - I almost didn't get to finish the necklace as it got immediately snapped by a friend...I love this combination as well and am already thinking of doing a rooe length of these.Name:  IMG_3854.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  40.4 KBName:  IMG_3862.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  65.1 KB

not so happy new pearls - I got two beautiful drop pearls I wanted to use for earrings only to find out they were drilled off center...A real bummer, and to make things worse instead of sending them to a pearl expert I contacted and who told me they could be saved I decided to try a local "expert" who said he could do it...Now I have two pearls with 3mm huge pearl holes and I am wondering if ANY earring finding would be safe for them....

Another unhappy surprise was this AAA graded pearl that I got as a part of three pearls with beuatiful color and luster BUT there is this totally nacre-free area at the bottom! Is it even possible to grade a pearl like this AAA? I was quite shocked to see it, but I really loved the color and the two other pearls so I didn't send it back.
    Name:  IMG_4187.jpg
Size:  35.6 KBName:  IMG_4196.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  34.0 KB
    a catastrophe - I made a special gift for a friend with baroque tahitian labradorite and pyrit rondells only for it to be broken apart on the second day she put it on! I used tornado crimp which I thought was the most secure one of them all...Totally sad as she only noticed she doesn't have it after getting back from a long walk and the necklace is just gone ...I am sad for the pearl and I am totally worried about all the other pieces I made....I know I must be doing something wrong as I already had one bracelet fall apart - luckily it was one I made for myself and it happened indoors and I noticed it at once...I searched online for all the crimping mistakes I might be doing - but with tornado crimp there isn't really much...Here is the picture of the fallen crimp from my bracelet...Please any ideas will be highly appreciated...I am using the thinnest Beadalon 19, wire. I am very new at this and truly mortified...Name:  IMG_4331.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  32.7 KBName:  IMG_4332.jpg
Size:  20.0 KBName:  IMG_4335.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  22.2 KBName:  IMG_4336.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  26.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

A catastrophe indeed, eolian pearls! How upsetting!

Let me just address the crimp for now. Your photo shows the crimp just holding one strand of wire. Is this the way you secured the ends? The crimps are meant to be used this way: the wire passes through the clasp and back through the crimp, and that is when you flatten it.

The crimps come in 2 sizes and you need to use the correct size for the wire. From the Via Murano website:

Sizing: Use the .019 size for beading wire up to and icluding .019 size wire. When utilizing .024 size wire, use our .024 Twisted Tornado Crimp® ULTRAPLATE®. It is uniquely designed for .024 wire only.

http://www.viamurano.com/store/pc/Tw...Plate-c128.htm

Also let me flip your photo:

Attachment 56675

Thank you Pearl Dreams, I took the picture of the fallen crimp just to show how it looks now, when securing it I did pass the wire back through the crimp again and flattened it afterwards...Using crimp tool...I also used 0.19 crimp with 0.12 inch wire...

As to the pearl with the 3mm holes...do you like leather cord for a rustic, casual look? I used "pearl leather earrings" as search terms on Etsy to see examples of what some people have done.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=pearl%...her%20earrings

If you prefer metal, You can make your own finding with thicker gauge wire. If you make a flat spiral from the wire under the hole, it won't slip through the hole. Or you could make a loop and hang a dangle of something else under the Tahitians-- another pearl, or a charm or whatever.

Or you could use a head pin and use Bali spacers between the head of the pin and the pearl, to keep the pin from passing through the hole.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 11-12-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eolian pearls View Post
    Thank you Pearl Dreams, I took the picture of the fallen crimp just to show how it looks now, when securing it I did pass the wire back through the crimp again and flattened it afterwards...Using crimp tool...I also used 0.19 crimp with 0.12 inch wire...
    I have used very fine wire successfully with the smaller tornado crimp. Is it possible you didn't flatten the crimp sufficiently? I suggest testing the other items you have made using this gauge of wire and crimps...tug on the clasp and see if it begins to come loose from the crimp. If so, flatten the crimp more.
    It's probably a good idea to test each piece after stringing, before wearing it.

Also-- did your wire cross within the crimp? I make sure the two bits of wire lie side by side.

Thank you PD, I just tested another piece, I pulled the wire from both sides - the clasp and after the clasp, no falling apart BUT as I was using quite a pressure I think I stretched the wire because there is definitely more space between the beads....I will do more testing, even using more pressure just to see, I am a bit paranoid now...

Thank you also on the leather idea...I like the casual look of leather and pearls...the pearls are half drilled but this is not a problem...will think about this possibility...

Wait...you said you flattened the crimp using a crimp tool? Tornado crimps are not supposed to be flattened using crimping pliers-- just regular flat pliers.

OMG...yes, I am using crimping tool..so this is the big mistake?!!! Thank you Pearl Dreams!!! I can go to sleep peacefully now...I have been obsessing about this whole day! I will rework the other pieces and just to be sure I will post a picture of the flattened crimp ASAP... Thank you for your prompt& competent investigative work! This forum is the best!!!

There you go! Easy fix.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Yes that would explain your problem..I wondered why the space Inside The crimp was so open . Just a nice firm squeeze with the smooth flat pliers will do it... to super hard as some Tornadoes will break if you overdo it . A firm tug will show if its holding. Good luck.