Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Ok ...on knotting pearls ..has anyone ever watched the Stuller video ? I’m going to watch it again on the pc full screen . I know we always comment that there are many ways to knot ..but this looks different to any I’ve seen before. Or maybe I was just frazzled from packing up for the movers ...

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I didn't know there was one, but will watch it now-- thanks Katbran!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Abi's Avatar

Thank you for posting the video PD! Planning to watch this soon.
    -update-
    Just watched the video, very interesting concept.
    4 threads through a pearl-must be really fine thread or a bigger hole on the pearl because I have trouble putting 3 strings through one of mine.
    Using her finger as a pearl anchor, and twisting the excess thread on it as well reminds me a little bit of when I crochet... the finishing of the strand is a little confusing to me, but I've only watched it once. I may be curious enough to try this sometime soon.
    Last edited by Abi; 10-08-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Update
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Wendy, I agree...it is very complicated; and abi I also agree...it would require a larger hole. Personally, I prefer the Caitlin method using Beader's Secret.

Katbran, do post if you try this method...I'd be curious as to how it works. Not that thread is expensive, but 9 times seems like a lot of thread, especially when knotting a long rope.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eolian pearls View Post
    These Vietnamese blue akoyas have become my Gollum level obsession :-)
    Right? I absolutely love them! And basically, I love all your pearls. Great job.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

PD - thanks for posting that link !
    I’ll just make a comment as I don’t want the thread to wander off ... but I too thought it seemed complicated. I kept stopping it to try and sort out what she was doing with her fingers lol. She must be using 4fine threads , as Bernadette does at times , but I thought her method seemed cumbersome. Do you all thread all the pearls on first ? I add them one at a time .

Eolian - I too am becoming a blue Vietnamese Akoya fan ! I’ve got a handful of little keshi that I need to deal with .. and those little Tahitian Keshi are really lovely ..the shapes are beautiful,

Honestly she lost me -- it seemed too complicated. The light background made it harder to see also and when I tried to enlarge the window on YouTube the video malfunctioned and went back to start each time.

I used to string on pearls one at a time, but now I do this:

1. string on the first 3 pearls in reverse order without knotting, then string on the the gimp and clasp, and then I back-knot between the 3 pearls;
    2. string on all the pearls except the last 4, keeping them at the needle end of the thread (I keep them from falling off the needle by using a spring clip);
    3. I slide one pearl to the left and make a knot, then continue the same way until all the pearls on the thread are knotted;
    4. finally I string on the last 4 pearls without knotting, then the gimp and clasp and back-knot between the last 4 pearls (3 knots). I hide the tail by passing the thread through the 4th pearl and trimming it without knotting.

Doing it this way seems to go faster for me, and there is less risk of the thread tangling when the strand is longer than 18 inches.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

I think I do it the same way PD does hers.Name:  IMG_20170606_152819.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  108.4 KB

Did the video not knot one side of the pearl where glue was used, or did I miss that part?

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    I think I do it the same way PD does hers.Name:  IMG_20170606_152819.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  108.4 KB
    I basically do it the same way, however, I prefer to add one pearl on the strand at a time...I often rearrange as I go. And let me say, I absolutely LOVE where you are headed with this strand. It is gorgeous. What size pearls are you using?

I rearrange too -- a lot-- but usually on the beading board first and then when I think I like the arrangement, I string them all on a piece of beading wire (with a clip on both ends) so that I can hold them up to my neck and see if I like the arrangement.

Only then do I knot them up. I've learned the hard way that there is no substitute for seeing how they look against my neck. It's time consuming, but putting them on beading wire first also prevents my having to crawl around on the floor locating the pearls after accidentally bumping the table and send them scattering. BTDT

Yep, I do temporary string ups on wire too...I often drill my pearls in batches, and keeping them on temp strands makes them easier to keep track of.

Thank you, JP. Do you do the clasp first and then thread the pearls, one at a time? I've heard the method I use called the Chinese knotting method. I find it really much faster although it did not work that well when I had quadrupled the strand with the Tahitians using normal sized BS. The strand was part of a remake of a three strand baroque blue akoya necklace that I took apart and made a three strand bracelet and this long rope. The bba are 8-8.5mm and the wba are 8-9mm.

I also arrange them on the bead board first..then string on PowerPro and see how it sits and check the length. Then I take three off and start the knotting on with the clasp...then I add one at a time as I go ... sometimes I'll add 3 or 4 but not the whole strand. I use to put them all on but then I had that little clip come off one time....I had pearls go everywhere lol

It is hard to see what she's doing ! I have a short video of someone knotting up a strand that I put on instagram..its really short as she started to make mistakes and tangled the knots...so I thought I was making her nervous.. and stopped the video.. I don't know how to add it as there isn't a URL ( maybe there is but I don't know how to find it duh )

Amti - those look gorgeous ! It's going to be a wonderful rope !