Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Wow, Guess it could be $200 for a certificate now. I had my vintage strand restrung at Miki & had the certficate issued at samet time in 2005.

I was sort of forced into the A 16 in strand in 2005 as I had bought a A- thinking it was of good quality for about $1800. The luster was greenish & pale & had a few holes near the drill holes. Just not nice. I could not return for a refund so had to use it as store credit so I bought a A strand. It was pretty nice as modern pearls go. Nice big 18K clasp...Guess I figured I had the older strand which was longer & A+ so could use the money. I don;t wear strands as its just too hot here most of the time & don't think one should sweat w pearls.

I lost money....more of my bad descisions!!!! I should have bought a nice pair of tahitians for $1800 I could hae had doosies. Still it made more sense to spend all that money on a strand & not just 2 pearls.

You should wear them. Pearls are classic. I have just not been well a few years & no place to wear them. Still wear them to the market...enjoy them...
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 07-02-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Yes, MKG is correct. I was told $200 for a certificate with current appraisal for insurance purposes. I read somewhere that the AAA came standard with the diamond but the AA did not but you could upgrade it to the diamond clasp if you paid extra. However, the agent I spoke with did not say anything about that. So, yes, I believe you have an AA or AAA strand. It is beautiful. Congratulations!!!

Guess I got lucky I got my certficate when I did...not much else luck though.

Restringing & certificate were reasonable 12 years ago.

I just found my receipt!!!!+ Beverly Hills Miki...

$60 to restring a 20 in & appraisal certificate was $50!!!!! 2/24/05 Bargain!!!!

Cream/ Silver A+ 8.8 to 5.1mm 75 pearls

Quote Originally Posted by Camelotshadow View Post
    Guess I got lucky I got my certficate when I did...not much else luck though.

Restringing & certificate were reasonable 12 years ago.

I just found my receipt!!!!+ Beverly Hills Miki...

$60 to restring a 20 in & appraisal certificate was $50!!!!! 2/24/05 Bargain!!!!

Cream/ Silver A+ 8.8 to 5.1mm 75 pearls
    Absolutely a bargain compared to today. I'm sorry to read you have not been well for the past few years- I know how hard that can be - I hope this year brings you happiness and better health.

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    Yes, MKG is correct. I was told $200 for a certificate with current appraisal for insurance purposes. I read somewhere that the AAA came standard with the diamond but the AA did not but you could upgrade it to the diamond clasp if you paid extra. However, the agent I spoke with did not say anything about that. So, yes, I believe you have an AA or AAA strand. It is beautiful. Congratulations!!!
    Wow... how exciting! Thank you so much for sharing that information with me. I never seem to 'get lucky' when buying second hand/used/thrifting-- but this time I think I did! I purchased the set for a fairly large amount (to me), but I had the $$ and wanted to buy myself a "grown up" strand of pearls that I can pass down to my daughter someday. Thanks again for spending the time collecting the information and sharing it with me

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Beautiful strand! Enjoy!
    Thanks Pattye . I see you are from Oregon - fellow Oregonian here also.

Quote Originally Posted by MKG View Post
    Wow... how exciting! Thank you so much for sharing that information with me. I never seem to 'get lucky' when buying second hand/used/thrifting-- but this time I think I did! I purchased the set for a fairly large amount (to me), but I had the $$ and wanted to buy myself a "grown up" strand of pearls that I can pass down to my daughter someday. Thanks again for spending the time collecting the information and sharing it with me
    Sometimes you have to pay for the quality. There are so many older so so strands around. Mikimoto if well kept are really stunning compared to the average strand. Even my 60 YO A+ strand is very nice & I paid alot for it too sight unseen so it was chancey but its unique as it a large 5.1mm to 8.8mm graduated strand & most around are not in this size with average 4 to 7mm. Mine also has silver overtones which was also on the rare side though it still has rose tones too.

I have not seen many with the diamond clasp... Hopefully you paid about half plus of a comparable new strand so its still a bargain. Good akoyas are becoming rarer & the nacre thinner so in the future who knows...

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MKG View Post
    You're very welcome. I wanted to call them to get some answers on switching out a clasp from white to yellow gold and asked a few questions regarding clasps since I was curious about them as well. I had the person email me a quote for restringing and switching out the clasp to send my mom so I have it in writing so I won't forget. I'm glad you got a great deal. I know you will cherish the strand and your daughter will love it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelotshadow View Post
    Sometimes you have to pay for the quality. There are so many older so so strands around. Mikimoto if well kept are really stunning compared to the average strand. Even my 60 YO A+ strand is very nice & I paid alot for it too sight unseen so it was chancey but its unique as it a large 5.1mm to 8.8mm graduated strand & most around are not in this size with average 4 to 7mm. Mine also has silver overtones which was also on the rare side though it still has rose tones too.

I have not seen many with the diamond clasp... Hopefully you paid about half plus of a comparable new strand so its still a bargain. Good akoyas are becoming rarer & the nacre thinner so in the future who knows...
    I'm only guessing at what the value might be using the Mikimoto website, but if I am correct in my assumptions, I paid less than 1/4 of what a new strand is priced at. Even if I'm not correct, I'm sure I didn't pay more than they are worth

1/4 retails value is very good!!!! I paid a bit more than half of certificate value. on my 40 plus year old strand at the time. Still to me it was unique as it was old & had a nice size. I'm just glad they were A+ as I really did not know the grade. A+ on that old of a strand is pretty good.
    Some AAA's become A's over time especially if they are stored improperly or not taken care of/
    I know I paid alot but it was a pretty nice large graduated strand & it has silver overtones. I have never seen another like it.

You did great & I can;t imagine how much they go for now a in 2005 a AAA 16 or 18 in without the diamond clasp was going for $10,000.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Hi MKG, yes, here in Portland!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Hi MKG, yes, here in Portland!
    I live in the Corvallis/Albany area

Wow, I just found this.. Your pearls are so beautiful, they look like mirror. This is the higher grade of Mikimoto pearls I am sure.

Now question .. once I saw on Ebay, one Japanese seller sold Mikimoto Best of The Best pearl necklace. It has a diamond on the clasp and on the M tag.
    So 2 little pieces of diamond, instead of only 1.
    Does this mean really Best of The Best?

I bought 2 weeks ago a Mikimoto Pearl Necklace, 8.5-9mm. Looks very good too with 18K Gold clasp...Maybe then only A+ ?