Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I agree 100% with JerseyPearl. Time to move on.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    If I were the seller, I would not accept the return since the pearl has been damaged. I think honestly, you should move on...remove the pearls from the mountings, which you quite obviously love, and set them with a pair of pearls that will make you heart sing!
    I know the pearls are chipped ut they were supposed to be "at least 10mm & they are not.
    The issue is not the return or chip but innaccuracies in the desciption. 1mm smaller pearl is sort of a big difference & she knows about it. She was sent pics of the pearl in a caliper showing the size which is 9 to 9.1mm & offered $20 refund.
    As for the unmarked metal & I will never buy unmarked plat anymore unless its cheap as 4 people tested it & nothing was really conclusive.
    One said straight out its not plat but could not trust him as he also said its not a real pearl.
    One tested it 18K on electronic tester but said it looked more likeplat than gold
    Another acid tested it & sais it was at least 18K but unsure of plat.

Its been a pain but its also a learning experience but least all of the metals it tested were precious & not some chromium tungsten alloy or whatever they can make to try to simulate plat on a test.

I do feel I was cheated on pearl size even if one is chipped now & my tests & jewelers test are my word against hers & she listed it from memory of what she was told from an estate sale...

Its a mess...but I paid $400 for the mess...& probably got $60 worth of palladium & yellow akoya not south sea pearls....

So far it test 18K electronically & with acids...but it does not seem to be gold...

I'm Ok with palladium but its not what I was told it was.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

But you have damaged the product. I'm not being critical...accidents do happen. I subscribe to the "you break it, you bought it" philosophy, even if the item is not properly identified.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

But I bought 10 plus mm south sea pearls set in platinum. Surely damaging the pearl does not change that the earring was not as described & I am not asking to return it I would want fair compensation for sellers errors. Surely that is not unreasonable...

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Camelotshadow View Post
    But I bought 10 plus mm south sea pearls set in platinum. Surely damaging the pearl does not change that the earring was not as described & I am not asking to return it I would want fair compensation for sellers errors. Surely that is not unreasonable...
    Well she's told you $20 for the pearl inaccuracy. And by your own account, you cannot refute her claim that the setting is platinum...you've been given several different responses, and have made your own conclusion that the metal might be palladium, which has no significant value difference. What exactly are you looking for the seller to do? Seems to me that your options are: live with it and move on; accept her $20; or try to return and risk that eBay will (in my opinion likely) side with the seller.

I'm not trying to be harsh with this...but I think you've exhausted the potential options since you've now damaged the piece. Regardless of whether or not the seller's descriptions were accurate, you have devalued the product due to the damage.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

I never told her one fell & chipped. I'll write her with the full history of the earrings & ask for the $20.

I knew something was wrong when smaller 18K backs felt heavier than these bigger backs.

Palladium is close to 10K SG & slightly more than silver SG. It can never feel like platinum which is almost twice the SG.

I guess it was a lesson as a SG test can really tell you alot!

http://coinsblog.ws/2016/06/detectin...c-gravity.html

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

The specific gravity test is really neat. I've never had to do that and was not aware of it. But should I ever need to do it, I'll know how now! Thanks for sharing!

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Palladium is very close to Platinum in value and has, at times, exceeded Platinum. They are both hypoallergenic.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    The specific gravity test is really neat. I've never had to do that and was not aware of it. But should I ever need to do it, I'll know how now! Thanks for sharing!
    In reality with a very small sample like I have under 1 gram its problematic & you need a very accurate scale. I have a mettler scale that costs over $1000. I got in on ebay for $50 & it will measure .0001 grams. I actually measured diamonds on it...

Most scales will not measure the difference accurately enough as its just not the precision of the scale & its rounded up.
    Still they have diamond scales relatively cheap I think. Who wants a balance scale like this meant to measure chemical reactions or wants to spend over $1000 to test some gold...LOL.

Most people don;t have a scale like this but if you have a large sample like a coin it seems to work even on my postage scale I was able to get the SG of copper on a pre 1982 penny of 8 ish.

0.1 g is not going to cut it if you need accuracy in the 2 to 3 decimal places which becomes critical with a very small sample.

.1 is not equal to .028 but a scale needs to be able to measure .028 grams to get the SG of a .6 gram sample of PT.

Anyway we could have a problem if what I read last night is true.

Seems alot of people are stumped with palladium & its becoming more common now & currently is the same price of platinum but platinum is really low now...lower than gold & it just does not seem to be any answer as plat was usually higher than gold.
    Palladium used to be a lower price than platinum...about 3 times lower.

I know we have to take the value of Pt & Pd in todays market but Pt could rebound & Pt has the ability to far exceed palladium in the future so it does matter. Plat is a better metal for jewelry in wear & all around.

I have choosen palladium over gold but would choose platinum over palladium...

Anyway the test with 22k acid should turn palladium a reddish bronze color. I tried it & it does not. So that test does not seem to indicate palladium.

There are heat tests but that's out.

I just learned iodine solution will stain palladium but not platinum. So next time I'm in CVS have to check out the iodine.

Quote Originally Posted by GemGeek View Post
    Palladium is very close to Platinum in value and has, at times, exceeded Platinum. They are both hypoallergenic.
    It's almost the same now but I did not know it ever exceeded the value of Pt but I've not followed it.
    Did see Pd exceeded Pt in 2001...interesting.

They are similar materials for industry purpose & Pd could even be rarer that Pt but Pt just makes superior & more costly jewelry

Plat is lower than gold now but platinum jewelry still is more expensive than gold or palladium.

When one of the articles I was reading was written about 10 years ago palladium was 3 X less than platinum or then in the $300 range.

I guess any metal can change. Alot of it is supply & demand. They could find a way of making it or find a super huge deposit of it & perhaps gold would not be worth what it is today.

Found this detailed precious metal testing book...Some of it involves mixing special acids but there is alot of information!!! WOW 115 pages of real detailed info for free!

http://www.chemical-supermarket.com/...stPrinting.pdf
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 07-16-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Well as I like stories with ending so I'll update the thread though this has become a rather long arduous journey.

Thank you to those who have offered advice.

For better or worse the seller refunded me $25 as she agrees the least 1mm mistake in the pearl size was her fault. It came not as refund though but sent as money thru paypal which took a $1.03 for its share. I have $23.97 to replace the plat acid that is now half full & buy some attack!

She still swears it is platinum as they told her it was & that they also had Tiffany & Cartier jewelry. I did not know that platinum could be made just by being close to other quality jewelry... This is amazing!!!! I will have to put all my jewelry next to platinum/irid & say the magic words. LOL

7/18/17 UPDATE:

That cursed gold ssp was at it again. Dropped in the bathroom last night & it rolled.
    I looked over a half hour for it & moved everything even a chest near the toilet.
    Then I went thru the garbage pailn ear the toilet uuughh. Looked everywhere in the small bathroom even behind the toilet.
    Was hoping it was not in the toilet as I had flushed it,,,OOOOhhh it rolled all the way under a plastic drawer unit to the corner by the tub!!!! I almost had a heart attack as I already spent too much for them & one pearl earring is useless!!! I was the chipped one luckily but no further damage.
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 07-19-2017 at 06:42 PM.