Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Default My first Yellow South Seas Earrings

I was bad. Yellow is not my color & I hate those old beige pearls but there was this about 10mm pair in a old platinum setting so I succumbed.
    Pics were not good & its a ebay thing.

What should I expect from yellow gold SSP's? My guess is they are older as the settings are 50's 60's at latest.

I figured if they are set in platinum & it is platinum then they can't be that bad?

I have not paid for them yet as I don;t know why I want yellow pearl earrings but I like the plat setting.
    They are $400? A platinum setting of that weight would be least $200. Don;t know if the pearls are worth $100 ea.
    I guess I could reset the pearls & sell them & set the plat mountings with a nice Tahitian or WSS???

Are they decent? I know you really can't tell from the crummy photos.
    They would probably be older yellow SSP's from the 50's 60's.

I don;t really have the extra cash to spare but if they are good earrings then I will make do.

?????
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

They could also be yellow akoya pearls, depending on their size. 10mm is about as large as akoyas come.

Akoyas come in natural yellow colors.

Is it mostly the setting that appealed to you, or do you think you would wear the pearls?
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-13-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Unhappy

OMG...No... I hope not but they are 10mm plus. No exact size from a private party. Just "least 10mm". Says they are not marked platinum too! I guess I am cruisin for another bruisin... This one is just going on what they were told in a estate sale. in Georgetown MD.

She says she guarantees them to be what she says but is a No Return seller.

I scaled them from approx 1 mm post thickness & they come in around 10mm. Akoyas rarely are 10mm up but its possible.

Here we go again & I have not decided on the "8.3 mm south sea pearl earrings" that are not 18K.

I have half a mind to back out of this one as I can't see myself liking yellow unless they had some serious nice overtones which don;t seem to show in the terrible pictures. I guess in the back of my mind I want to score a nice pair of gold SSP's & if they are set in platinum I could always use a nice setting like they come in.

Guess I better keep the testing acids around...

I think Id rather loose out on a akoya pearl with a platinum setting than an akoya in a 14K setting.

It was a last minute sale & no one else wanted them...

Yes the setting looks to be mid 19th century & I really want some platinum. I have a nice pair of diamonds in a platinum setting & a smaller set of dia studs for every day in platinum but platinum earrings are generally expensive. I sometimes buy the earrings for the pearls & sometimes if the pearls are poor a nice setting is always ready if a nice pair of pearls walks by.

Yellow pearls were never on my radar but if they are a good value then I might take a chance.

Again south sea pearls did not come to really be cultured until the late 50's so the chances of finding SSP's in very old jewelry is not good unless they are natural & then well...I'll learn to like yellow///LOL

I guess after this I better give up my south sea pearl dreams about pre 1960 jewelry!!!!

OMG...they look alot like these set in silver...Ugly old beige pearls...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-ster...3D263018804800

I'm so afraid they will be just awful but then again they could be really nice...

Never backed out of a ebay sale though...it would be first time
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 06-13-2017 at 07:22 AM.

The settings are platinum but not marked? And she "guarantees" them but doesn't take returns? That sounds a bit contradictory.

I'm editing to add that eBay is a risky place to buy pearls. There are some reliable vendors, but a lot more who don't know what they are selling-- or else they do know, and seek to deceive buyers.

Also, pearls tend to yellow over time (which could be what happened to this pair), and depending on how they were cared for, they can lose luster and get scratches.

I don't think I could buy pearls from a vendor who doesn't accept returns. Photos only go so far in showing you what the pearls look like in person.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-13-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks All good points & that's why I am nervous...

True & when you waste $ here & $ there you could put it toward a quality fresh pearl!!! (but hate modern settings)

Yes, that about sums up the ebay dealings. If they are not as described then you have to prove to ebay that they are not.
    They are listed as platinum but without markings how does she really know what she has unless she had it tested.
    I can test platinum by acid but its odd its not marked but I have a pair pf plat earrings also not marked so its possible.
    Stainless seems to test like platinum but the settings are very old looking so don;t think they were fabricated in china to deceive.

She has been selling for almost 20 years & has a 100% feedback rating so...

Could be silver too unmarked...but she thinks she has something of value but frankly its all her "word" & opinion.

She sold this platinum diam strand 7 to 11mm cream/yellow a few months back. Pearls look similar color but out of round.
    I can't see why those pearls are on a 1 inch platinum diamond clasp but it sold for $500. She said these were probably akoya.

Wonder if she got them from the same person? I just don;t want old dead beige akoya.
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 06-13-2017 at 08:15 AM.

I paid for them so wish me luck!

She didn:;t ship them today & I paid last night. She tells me they will go out tomorrow (Thursday).
    I can understand not being able to ship same day but I really want to see these.

I still have not dealt with the last south sea pearl dilemna but I'm thinking of keeping them as I really like them.

Gosh would be nice if they are Burmese champagne...dreaming....
    I just hope they are platinum...Most of it should be marked unless its a handmade custom piece...

Funny those large pearls with the platinum she sold a few months back now remind me of the large ones I gave my Mom with the great clasp.

They shipped & she says she will take them back if I am not satisfied...

Now she calls them a light med yellow but listing said yellow golden...

New pic but still not good...It was small so I enlarged. Impossible to ge an idea of what the pear is or any overtones
    but nice to know I can return it.

It will hopefuly arrive Sat/...

Guess what... these are not lucky earrings.

Somehow they got to the building at 10AM & it says they were left with an "individual"???????
    Well there is no note on my door or in my mailbox as to whom this
    "individual" is????? I can't file them missing for 7 days on line ???????? I'm on wait in the phone about 25 min so far...

I'm devistated but I don;t think I can be held liable. #1 they should have been sent signature confirmation..& I think they were insured but in any event I did not receive them & if the USPS does not cough up for the mishap this poor women is going to be out $400 I hope I get a refund as that would be catastrophic!!!! Please wish me good luck...I need it...

70 minutes on hold!

I filed a case

They said it looks like a glitch.
    May not have gone out with carrier today. I left a note for mailman to talk to me when he comes regarding it.

I hope it went out in today mail & he has it & its delivered today. Otherwise I told them to deliver it Tuesday. I really won;t know then til Tuesday & she said a superviser will call Tuesday.

If its not with the carrier today then its likely still at the post office. I tied to call them but they donlt answer the phone.

I could try to go up to the post office but I need to be here to talk to the mailman.

OOOOhhhh
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 06-17-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Oh, no! That is way too much money to lose-- and yes, the seller ought to have required signature confirmation, and insured them to protect herself.

Please update us when you know more. I really hope they show up.

I got them. Test plat. On my way out. They are med yellow but short of 10mm . 9.1 to 9.5 mm . willpost pics when i get home. Look more gold in pics. Not sure I look good. In yellow. Least I got thrm!

Really old maybe handmade settings. Not av manuf plat settings. Post end looks like the end of a nail

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Glad they showed up.! As for the colour...always remember that pearls with colour seem to photograph darker than they are in RL.
    Instagram Pearlzaustralia

Question

What a day. My body has to get over the emotional trauma. Those 3 hours waiting & 70 minutes to even get USPS on the phone.

They change colors. Sometimes they are yellow, sometimes more cream, sometimes more gold w a rose green at there nicest.
    Sometimes a obnoxious yellow that you think could not be natural.

They are platinum but not least 10mm. They are 9 to 9.2 mm.
    For some reason I got a 9.5mm reading before but can;t find it now.

She says she will take them back if I am not happy with them. She seems like a nice lady & I imagine she had alot of stress as we both were hoping they would show up.

I don;t think yellow is my color. I would just glow with tahitians but there is something about the mystery of these.

Have to be old...so yellow akoya?? South Sea...Glad they are not just dead beige akoya.

I guess South sea is a vague name as to origin but Akoya Pearls are not grown in south seas & should not be referred to as south seas.

Not much bigger than the other south sea pearls from ebay

Hmmmmm??????
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 06-18-2017 at 10:19 PM.

The real question is whether you like them-- whatever they are-- and whether you would wear them.

Studs don't get a lot of wear and tear, so the thickness of the nacre is not nearly as significant as it would be if the pearls were in a necklace. Even if they are akoyas rather than SSP, they would still last a very long time!

Can't see a poor quality pearl being set in platinum. It makes no sense so unless someone switched pearls they are likely original to the mountings.

Not sure how I feel about them. I enjoyed wearing them to trader joes & was just getting over the mortification in thinking they were lost.

Gosh outside sometimes they looked very gold. I can't fgure out why they appear different colors. I am adding moisture of distilled water.
    The mountings had a dark patina or maybe tobacco. I don;t think the pearls were dirty but did pull a hair or two stuck in the mounting.

They are starting to get a fant green irridescence & even a hint of rose...Just don't know about the color getting lost in my skin tone.
    White & black really pops.

They are pearls but very silky dense.

Weight is 3.4 g for the pair.

I need to wear them a bit & see how they feel. I'll tell her they are not 10mm. They are not & I took photos with the caliper to prove it.\

10mm is always better but they are still pretty big.

I bought them for the setting anyway so if the price was adjusted to reflect the size difference. I wanted the setting to fit 10mm pearls but it still might.

I never saw yellow akoya & they dont have a mirror luster that's for sure