Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

How big is it? Looks enormous lol If you paid 120$ AUD then that's not too bad - if you look on ETSY there are lots of pearl sellers..it will give you an idea of retail for single Tahitians - lots of large C grade pearls there.
    Instagram Pearlzaustralia

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

You said it wasn't round... is it flat on one side or a teardrop? A button?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    wow - that's really long !! I can't wait to see what this looks like when it's finished. One suggestion...I'd have him send you a photo once he's done 20 inches so you can be sure that you are happy with the look.... better to be sure before he does the whole 100 !
    I was going to suggest the same! I love a long necklace...and this looks smashing...but layout is important because you'll need to consider how the pearls will look when worn various ways. I cannot wait to see it finished!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Ya Pareltje a pendant might be better because Im quite clumsy person.

Katbran Im not sure how big it is. Looking for measuring tape to show comparison but could find the tape haha. So I took another photo of it on my palm. Pleaseeee dont tell me I got ripped off?? Which seller I should look into from Etsy btw?

Amti its a drop shape isnt it?. I took another side way photo of it. Sorry I am still a bit clueless bout pearls.

Jersey pearl the layout is 2 white baroque + 2 golden baroque + 1 round black. Graduating the biggest pearls in the middle. Seller just contacted me and said it will need almost 60 gram of gold for the chain and I was like holy monkey!! Then he said he can use other smaller chain and will consums just half of that and still stay as strong n I was like phew....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ok update. This is the chain model he will be using. He just have to produce 2.5 metres like that one n we're off!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Got take a look at The Pearl House ...Jac has lots of loose Tahitians and it will give you an idea of size and price of different qualities. I would suggest that you try to get out and look at some pearls and study a bit more on the forum so you have a better understanding of what you are buying. Avoid Ebay. Though Druzy Designs has loose pearls as well and is reputable. And Eastern Trade Winds also has loose pearls - Sven is a member here.http://www.easterntradewinds.com/sho...hp/shop/pearls

I saw on Jac's etsy shop that it is taking a short break so you won't be able to see it at this time (I wonder what goodies he'll add on there.), but he left his e-mail there . Maybe you could email him a question on some prices?
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

Hello Katbran and Abi. Thanks for the info.

I am looking at easter wind atm.

Expense wise for my necklace project. I noticed in easter wind they also put the weight of the pearls. I bought mine by weight as well. I paid 800$ for 2 strands of baroque white and gold SS total weight 140 gr, paid 600$ for 20 pieces of round tahitian pearls total weight 35gr and 1500$ for 30gram of solid 22ct yellow gold. So my 2.5 metres necklace total expenses is 2900$ thats included cost to make them.

There are 80 baroque pearls in mine. 800/80= 10$ per baroque pearls. Tahitian is 600/20=30$ per round tahitian pearls. Gold 1500/30= 50$ per gram gold.
    Last edited by asurazzy; 05-27-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Well your costs per pearl are not too bad for retail. And, let's face it, for a necklace that long , using even low grade South Sea pearls there is no way to get out of the project inexpensively . I do think you really should have him do up a sample run so you know that you like the look. Also it was previously suggested that you work in a few clasps so that you can wear sections as individual necklaces. That's a good idea.

I can't help but wonder how heavy that necklace will be once it is made. Thus, I third (or fourth?, Fifth?) the recommendation to have it made into smaller clipable lengths, and also ask to see it once he has 35" or so completed so you get an idea of how it feels, how the chain wraps, etc... sometimes tin cups tend to get wrapped in each other. Having different lengths will allow you to wear them with ease (your neck will thank you), wear a strand as a bracelet, and maybe even as a belt!

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

That is going to be a terrific necklace. I am envious of the 22k gold chain. It's going to enhance those gold baroques and contrast with the other pearls. Seriously, we will all be dying waiting on the neck shots...
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

I really am looking forward to the end result.
    "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too."-Vincent Van Gogh

New to the forum

That would make a lovely pendant I think! Might be too big for a ring..

I wish there are photos to give me examples on how and where to put the additional clasps?? Katbran if you know a place where I can get a lower cost for pearls please let me know hehe.

Amti actually we can count the necklace weight. 140 gr+35 gr+ 30gr= 205 gr. Its not heavy at all.

Gemgeek yeak I like the color of yellow gold better with pearls compare to white gold. Will give contrast. You can get 22k gold anywhere right?

I am really looking forward to it as well Abi.

I guess you're right about the weight for over 3 meters of necklace, but I don't usually wear that much weight at once. I bet it will be an eyecatcher though. I do prefer yellow gold over white gold for the contrast and pop factor, too. And no, I do not see 22kt for sale here in the states. Almost all the 22kt gold I've seen sold here is baht gold.