Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    I have actually had three instances of people more or less stealing our entire website. A company in China once copied our entire website to exact detail, even leaving all the pages about us and everything else. The only thing that changed was the name.

The other two companies that did this were both based in the USA. They didn't completely copy the design, but they both took every single photo from our site and every educational page on our site. In both of those instances I had a law firm send them letters and they immediately complied.

One of the companies is still in business. They were just discussed recently because they claim to be putting Tahitian pearls into akoya oysters for those pearl parties. That company was the worst. The owner had called me a couple months before building a website. He kept me on the phone for an hour acting like a customer. He was so curious about where we got our pearls, the people I knew in China ... I was stupidly naive to share a lot of information with him.

When his site popped up, not only did he steal every photo and content from our website, he had also posted a slightly different version of this message on his website that included something like shoving quarter pounders down your throat while fighting traffic on the 405 (LA's biggest freeway).

The website you just posted, Amti, is simply a sort of black hat SEO site. They know the photos are stolen. Most of them still have the copyright owners' names in the ALT tags. That means they were taken directly from the websites that own them.
    This is HORRIBLE.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

If you really want to know you can use Google image search to find it. The altered image is only on one website. The same website once had a photo taken from our blog on their homepage. I had someone send them an email about that one.

If you do the same search with the original image you'll find it's been lifted by dozens of websites without attribution. All our old photos have been.

There was even a gentleman who joined this forum a couple years back after launching a new pearl website and publicly argued with me about photos he had stolen from our site. I had to post the original, non-retouched photos before he would admit they were ours.

It's a pervasive problem. It isn't just a problem with photos, text gets stolen all the time. In the past I would use copyscape.com to track all the sites stealing our content. Anymore I just ignore it. There is something in Google's algorithm giving credit to the original source of content, which makes all other sources duplicate. In other words, it punishes the websites stealing content. Webmasters who understand this will attempt to alter the content enough to fool the search engine bots. You can see how much the image I posted was altered. It takes a keen eye to see that it's a stolen image.
    I actually did this after your initial post and it was very easy to find the thieving culprit. Not very neighborly, is it! By the way, you original image is awesome! I can't image cutting that pearl with a 90 degree cut - very clever!

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Expensive, and not available if the photo pincher is not in the jurisdiction
    Not necessarily expensive, nor does jurisdiction necessarily matter, because if the letters are effective, and the offender deletes your image, then you've got what you wanted. Just sayin' cause that's been my experience.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member kojimapearl's Avatar

It's a pervasive problem. It isn't just a problem with photos, text gets stolen all the time. In the past I would use copyscape.com to track all the sites stealing our content. Anymore I just ignore it. There is something in Google's algorithm giving credit to the original source of content, which makes all other sources duplicate. In other words, it punishes the websites stealing content. Webmasters who understand this will attempt to alter the content enough to fool the search engine bots. You can see how much the image I posted was altered. It takes a keen eye to see that it's a stolen image.
    Thanks Jeremy... I know that this is something that you and Kevin etc etc. have struggled with also - I have seen photos that I'm sure are yours on other people's sites. It's a good reminder that text also gets stolen... I'll check that copyscape.com website out.

Thanks everybody for your input on this, here's to hoping that this changes in the future.
    Cheers, Sarah
    Sarah Canizzaro
    Kojima Company
    www.kojimapearl.com

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

One would think that if they applied half as much effort to their own work as they do in stealing the works of others...ah but who am I kidding? It's far easier to be lazy than to build your own success.

Sarah you are very gracious.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

That's funny. The word that came to mind to me, began with an A and ended with hole

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Very, very sad. I fear there's no end in sight.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Pearly-Whites's Avatar

This is terrible. It is difficult enough to run a business without constant worry about internet issues.

Someone above suggested using a paper background with your logo imprinted on it and it seems to be a relatively simple solution and would at least make it a little more difficult to copy the photos.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

It's always astonishing how unscrupulous people can be - from ripping off your website to the Bernie Madoff's to the fake Cancer Cures.. so many people out there doing business with absolutely no conscience . Quite discouraging.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member kojimapearl's Avatar

Thanks JerseyPearl, that’s sweet of you.

MSC: I like the idea of adding metadata to images, I wish they would “stick"

Battah: I do have little logo metal stampings I had made ages ago, but I will work to get some that are even smaller, maybe 5mm, that might just do the trick whilst looking somewhat elegant, thanks.

I can’t find who to thank originally for the idea of original paper.. but the girls in the studio are always complaining that we have to edit out the scratches on the plastic board we shoot photos on, so maybe we can imprint a logo on that plastic and work around watermarking the photos every time. mmmmmm, tap plastics is going to have a field day with me on this one

Thanks for the brainstorming session here. I really appreciate everyone’s input.
    With warmth, Sarah
    Sarah Canizzaro
    Kojima Company
    www.kojimapearl.com

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Unfortunately, there's no end to those driven to lie and steal. But karma will catch up with them. Meanwhile, wishing you all the best Sarah!