Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sea Urchin's Avatar

Default One or two fabulous piece or many lesser pieces?

I know we talk about this now and then but I was just wondering if I'd *really* have done it differently, if I'd known I'd get bitten by the pearl bug and end up with lots and lots of pearly pieces. Especially since many of my earlier pieces have gone on to ebay or Goodwill through the past few years.

Wow, with the smaller amounts of money I've spent here and there on pearls over time, I could have had a couple of real jaw-droppers that were fit for a queen instead.

But, I'd have to say my answer is "no," definitely not. It's not just the one item, it's the fun of getting and wearing new stuff and having lots to choose from.

I think, to me, it is a little more like going out to dinner. I would much rather get to eat out once a week, even if it was only at a pizza parlor, than get to go to a fabulous five star restaurant but only once a year.

For the most part, I have come to think of my stuff as disposable or temporary anyway. I have very few things of any kind that I've had for many years. I'd say over 95% changes each decade, whether it wears out, goes out of style, my tastes, interests and needs change or whatever.

What say you? Save up for the grand prize or many smaller items along the way?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

The older I get, the more I choose quality over quantity. I don't necessarily think of it in terms of price...but of course price does become a factor. I think buying the very best you can afford will never fail you as a collector.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I try to spend a bit more on nicer pieces. Every time I buy an inexpensive piece I find I never wear it as much as the more expensive pieces.

But I definitely get what you're saying about more less expensive pieces.

At the moment, I have an embarrassment of too much from both my own purchases and my Mom's, and I'm really not complaining.

I find that with every new hobby or passion, I go through a learning curve that takes at least 2-3 years. My earliest purchases are often mistakes, but I learn more with each item (I never spend much in the early phase). I also work to "acquire an eye", meaning that more and more, I can recognize both quality and rarity. I acquire this over time by immersing myself in the field, with things like joining collectors' groups; talking with experts at every opportunity; and pouring over online resources like Pearl-Guide and the CPAA course.

Each field must present beauty that I can truly love. American Brilliant Cut Glass is one much loved field; great classical music has been with me my entire life; and my newest is pearls. Thank you for helping me learn!
    Linda

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Linda, that's a great assessment ... the Learning Curve! I'm borrowing that phrase next time (IF) hubby dares suggest I have too many pearls . I took up knitting again over a year ago, and was buying yarn everywhere. Last festival, I got out with only 1 yarn, and when looking thru the yarn cabinet at home, wondered just why I had to have a few of those ???
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I definitely choose quality over quantity. But I also choose circled or baroque Tahitians over perfect rounds, so price is relative. In the end, I prefer to buy the best quality I can, rather than regret it later.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunSeeker View Post
    I definitely choose quality over quantity. But I also choose circled or baroque Tahitians over perfect rounds, so price is relative. In the end, I prefer to buy the best quality I can, rather than regret it later.
    Ditto! I don't like the idea of jewellery pieces sitting neglected, unloved and unworn so I would prefer to limit my collection to just a few, high quality, spectacular pieces that make me happy! Like SunSeeker, I LOVE circled Ts so this doesn't necessarily equate to the most expensive pieces.

I also relate to Linda's post - with every new piece I learn more about my pearly preferences and sharpen my eye for colour and quality. But I happily repurpose and gift pieces to family and friends so it's worked out so far!
    Last edited by Sanippy; 04-21-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Oh, yes to the learning curve.

I'm still kicking myself that when I got my ears pierced in 1980, that I bought the cheapest pearl studs instead of the most expensive ones. It was a case of $89 vs. $150, if I remember correctly. I never wear those studs. If I had bought the nicer pair, I think I'd still be wearing them.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

I think quality all the way but I am often living within tight budget so I buy a cheaper diamond pair of earrings & then another small one trying to satisfy myself..then I look back & have a few pairs of smaller diamonds but if I had waited I would have gotten one large pair of diamonds & been happy. So I ended up selling alot of that sort of thing but I still do it with pearls. Buy a cheap pair & another trying to find a nice pair & I have a few similar pairs but nothing heart pounding. Unfortunately for me I have very high quality taste so I am not easy to please.

In the end I;d rather have fewer high quality pieces than lots of average...